Author Topic: Shaving with laser?  (Read 108590 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Shaving with laser?
« Reply #175 on: October 14, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »
Is this razor thing a parody in itself, a demonstration of just how easy it is to do a scam on crowdfunding websites?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #176 on: October 14, 2015, 01:12:34 pm »
I had a bit of fun with Photoshop...  Enjoy!

That's Cute. :D
Sue AF6LJ

Offline skrubis

« Reply #177 on: October 14, 2015, 04:36:55 pm »
We made a working prototype here at SKAM Technologies-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQz4LKK6x2s&feature=youtu.be

Offline bigdawg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #178 on: October 14, 2015, 04:40:48 pm »
I had a bit of fun with Photoshop...  Enjoy!

Edy you cracked me up with your cool photoshopping skills  :-DD :-DD

We made a working prototype here at SKAM Technologies-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQz4LKK6x2s&feature=youtu.be

Thats awesome!

Offline Chasm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #179 on: October 14, 2015, 11:00:39 pm »
But how do you get close to the skin without coupling into the skin?

Their claim to fame -and the actual invention- is that they have found a specific wavelength that is very effective and energy efficient at destroying the structure of hair (all kinds and colors of human hair) but not so much on other stuff. Because it can be so low energy.

Now, does this wavelength exists? Did they find it? Nobody knows. Would be very cool if. But I'm not betting any money on it. :D

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2015, 02:46:42 am »
You still don't want the light to couple out, not because it would damage the skin but because it would use up all the energy before it gets to the hair.

I guess it's possible the refractive index of hair is higher than skin though.

PS. hair actually has a really high refractive index whereas skin is lower than the silica of the fiber ... well damn, now I don't know what to think. I kind of doubt the wavelength is very relevant, other than for eye safety.

PPS. couldn't they just attach the fiber to something with a low refractive index using a low refractive index adhesive to get a more convincing demo where they don't need to be scared of breaking the fiber?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:33:45 am by Marco »

Offline Solion

« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2015, 11:35:55 am »
I think it is pretty obvious now to everyone if not a scam, (or is that Skam) that these guys have no freaking clue.

I lean towards scam now because earlier they were all over this forum , and now they are not. I think the Jig is up and well, it's the simple logic of the thing.

The"blade is not going to come in contact with just one hair at a time, it will be 30-40  at exactly the same time on a 3cm blade. the amount of power needed for their "magic wavelength"
is just going to be insane. Contact by multiple hairs while shaving at a normal speed is not going to be feasible with shit being blown to carbon and blocking the "magic wavelength"
from even reaching the hair.  They are going to add a vacume now for the cut stubble to keep it from coming in contact with the head? STILL on a single 1.5v AAA battery?..

All on .. 1.1wh battery. 

They will make their millions on another solar roadways style scam because we do not fund critical thinking in our schools.   

I am so tired of the bad guys winning. I really am.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:07:19 pm by Solion »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2015, 01:45:01 pm »
They will make their millions on another solar roadways style scam because we do not fund critical thinking in our schools.   

I'm always in two minds about blaming Joe Public about not being able to apply critical thinking to technical products like this.
But yeah, there should be a critical thinking class in schools. Start with teaching Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2015, 03:40:07 pm »
Carbon has a very high refractive index, as I said before it's not unlikely that if they pulse the power that the thermal cycling will clean the fiber (and because of the small dimensions likely on small timescales as well).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:42:48 pm by Marco »

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2015, 09:15:08 pm »
At last count, they are at $285,752 USD on IndieGogo. This is a fraction of where they got to on Kickstarter, so perhaps there is still hope that many people "backed out" and actually applied some critical thinking skills to this project. They got a second chance. But actually since the campaign hadn't ended officially on KS until they were banned, most people could have easily backed out from the Kickstarter up to just a few days ago and removed their pledge... well after many of us were already posting on the forums and weeks passed looking at demos and so on. Obviously it didn't phase most people from continuing to stick to the project on KS. So now they got the boot from KS and on IndieGogo (and with "flexible funding" no doubt, although it was pretty certain they would shoot over the $160,000 goal) they will definitely get funded now.

The question is, let's say they can get to $400,000... it is still well over their goal... Not $4 million but 1/10th the amount, they figured it was enough when they set their goal so let's hope they didn't count on the $4 million happening again.
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Solion

« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2015, 09:38:10 pm »
 I might agree to a point , but it is not just the carbon from the cut , it is the rest of the hair falling onto the blade/shaver. it is dead skin, it is the occasional blackhead and dirt

The thing I and so many want to know is how much radiant energy / time is needed to cut a single hair.  it needs to cut cleanly , The videos they posted is BS  because you can see it clearly burns it.
and that is no good. If you burn 25 hairs at once, don't you risk burning the skin? The cut has to carbonize/cut the hair in every color on the uS scale this includes white/clear.

But we need a number here to plug in.   because the formula is going to be dependant the exposure time of the hair to the laser emission  The Razor head looks to be about 3cm in width.
On average a persons beard hair is 100uM to 150uM (as High as 180 )  in diameter,  and has a density of 40 hairs per square cm on average (cheek) and 80 hairs per CM on chin  , If we move the laser razor 6cm in one second for a total of 18 sqcm  (seems reasonable)  the Skarp razor has to effectively cut 720 hairs per second low and 1440 high.. .

Cit for density of facial hair (https://books.google.com/books?id=J6_SBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA403&lpg=PA403&dq=beard+hairs+per+square+CM&source=bl&ots=aA_2TgG2ZO&sig=Ir1l5FxgOeOrOVuhjoIM3bhprxU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBmoVChMI8dK1v4HIyAIVyigeCh2vcAP1#v=onepage&q=beard%20hairs%20per%20square%20CM&f=false

Am i nutz here to say. that the power needed to do that is asinine? As in impossible for a single AAA battery across all beard colors?   And clear the head of carbon and debris :bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

You would have to cut 25 hairs at the same time at a rate of 35ms per contacting the bade at the same time  to make it through a normal shaving swipe , and 50 hairs per 35ms in higher density..   

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 02:33:54 am by Solion »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2015, 12:55:11 am »

I'm always in two minds about blaming Joe Public about not being able to apply critical thinking to technical products like this.
But yeah, there should be a critical thinking class in schools. Start with teaching Carl Sagan's Baloney Detection Kit.
That is all well, and good Dave but Industry and Government want proletarians.
They don't want people who can think, because that poses a threat to their status and potentially their existence.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2015, 05:57:43 am »
But yeah, there should be a critical thinking class in schools.

Our school has it!  ;D Not sure what they teach, though...

Critical thinking involves analytical thinking which underlies all rational discourse and
enquiry. This course will help students prepare for senior study across a range of
disciplines.
Students will learn to examine knowledge and beliefs critically; recognise and evaluate
assumptions; make judgements and evaluate evidence; evaluate reasoning of different
kinds; make connections and synthesise information and arguments and generate their
own arguments and express them clearly.
Students will deal with a variety of texts taken from the media as well as academic texts
across all disciplines. Topics to be covered include:
? Introduction to Arguments
? Credibility
? Analysis of Arguments
? Evaluating Arguments
? Developing Arguments
? Ethical Reasoning
? Evaluation of Source Materials
? Dilemmas and Decision Making
? Developing Complex Arguments
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:01:47 am by crispy_tofu »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2015, 06:00:51 am »
Our school has it!  ;D Not sure what they teach, though...
Critical thinking involves analytical thinking which underlies all rational discourse and
enquiry. This course will help students prepare for senior study across a range of
disciplines.
Students will learn to examine knowledge and beliefs critically; recognise and evaluate
assumptions; make judgements and evaluate evidence; evaluate reasoning of different
kinds; make connections and synthesise information and arguments and generate their
own arguments and express them clearly.
Students will deal with a variety of texts taken from the media as well as academic texts
across all disciplines. Topics to be covered include:
? Introduction to Arguments
? Credibility
? Analysis of Arguments
? Evaluating Arguments
? Developing Arguments
? Ethical Reasoning
? Evaluation of Source Materials
? Dilemmas and Decision Making
? Developing Complex Arguments

Woah, really?
The religious nutters must hate that.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2015, 06:09:34 am »
Woah, really?

It's only an elective, though - I hear only about 10 people are doing it in my grade. I sprang for electronics  ;D

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2015, 06:14:38 am »
Woah, really?
It's only an elective, though - I hear only about 10 people are doing it in my grade. I sprang for electronics  ;D
I guess the others just didn't think through the merits of the course very clearly.  ;)

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2015, 09:17:02 am »
I guess the others just didn't think through the merits of the course very clearly.  ;)

I don't have anything against this, but there are more people doing drama than critical thinking...  :scared:

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:37 am »
Critical Thinking is also an introductory to philosophy subject at (some?) Universities.

As part of all degrees at my University, we are required to take two subjects which are outside the faculty and department of our degrees.
I chose to do critical thinking... it was the easiest high distinction I have ever received.  O0

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #194 on: October 20, 2015, 01:17:56 pm »
Here is the patent downloaded off the web (I had problems loading the site listed a few posts ago).
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Online coppice

• Super Contributor

Offline Solion

« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:40 pm »
The claims are attached to it if you just page flip through the images section

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #197 on: October 24, 2015, 09:16:12 pm »
I'm not sure why you would be surprised. Just because you have a patent on an idea doesn't mean its a good idea. Determining that is not the USPTOs job. You're paying for the exclusive right to build a type of device, not validation that your invention is some brilliant innovation.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:19:43 pm by Nerull »

Offline kalleboo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2015, 06:13:33 am »
A writer for CNet got a hands on with the prototype: http://www.cnet.com/products/skarp-laser-razor/

But when I lifted the razor to my arm and placed the fiber against a hair, it cut right through. The laser actually worked. We tried it with light hairs and dark hairs, over and over again. Twice, we accidentally broke the fiber by getting the cheese-wire style blade caught on several hairs at a time, which definitely gave me pause

Skarp co-founder Binun says that with a mass-produced fiber and a AAA battery, the razor should have enough power to cut through five hairs at any given moment and keep cutting through more as soon as the previous ones fall away

What DiGiovanni didn't understand: why Skarp didn't just ask an optical fiber company like OFS to help produce a better prototype to begin with. He told me a demo might cost a few tens of thousands of dollars.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2015, 04:30:19 pm »
This thing is an expensive toy.
Sue AF6LJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf