Author Topic: Silent FiltAir: a practical tool for your soldering station  (Read 10663 times)

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
Re: Silent FiltAir: a practical tool for your soldering station
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 08:33:40 am »
£85?? You're having a bloody laugh!

I could easily make something very similar for half the price.

That is why nobody is buying. You're charging close to a hundred pounds for a few fans and a filter in a not so nice looking frame.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:36:21 am by 8086 »

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 08:41:45 am »
"silent" computer fans are overpriced sucker item as it is. Your price suggest you buy them retail :/
Your whole BOM should be around $20, times 2.5 = $50 tops for the end product, not 110 pounds.

Engineers are cheap. You might have some luck selling them on Adafruit to hipster crowd tho :)
Very unlikely the BOM for that product gets even close to sub $20 let alone £20.  I'm not sure where you get the £110 from, I backed the unit and my commitment is £65.

Clearly "the wisdom of the crowd" is working and there is very little demand for this product at this price, and the OP should either rethink the whole price/feature thing, sell it direct (which would beg the question why they need £18K) or go and do something else.

Incidentally, I'm not a backer of the other fan on KS (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1554904482/the-fumefan-soldering-fume-extractor?ref=category) - it's cute looking and probably works well - but just another jet-engine on the bench.  I like the large & quiet format of the Filtair.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 03:25:19 pm by fcb »
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 01:17:03 pm »
Battery powered hi-flow fan.   |O

Offline tinkerelectronicsTopic starter

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 06:00:23 pm »
Thanks a lot for the comments,

There is not a lot more we can do to lower the price of this unit without compromising the quality of a any of the components, the intention wasn't to do an extractor spending as little as possible to end up with a cheapo as there are already a few out there, those might do for the people who touch a soldering iron once a month if so but for more regular users those solutions aren't very practical even if they have one of these http://gsmserver.com/shop/equipment/soldering_sssembly/ancillary_equipment/pcb_holder_proskit_sn_394.php . As an example, just the filters we use cost 6 to 7 times more than other alternatives but we didn't think would be worth to deliver something that we don't really know what it is or isn't certified at all.

Something we are contemplating is working on other versions with a single fan, or 2, as well as the current which has 4. That would definitively bring the cost down, the fans aren't cheap either, much easier to ship, and so on; but obviously will decrease the coverage/range accordingly. What would you think about that?

We are pretty reluctant to come up with more of the same, and therefore would like to keep the selection of componets that we have in general terms (maybe could offer a plywood version). We are aware that we are targeting a semi professional group and possibly there aren't as many as occasional users who might not even need one, what we are trying to understand at this stage is: are we in the right direction for those who solder more regularly or there is something fundamental we are missing?

We are not sure if this is the right way to expose it, but unfortunately we need a crowdfunding platform to make this product, if you think it's far too pricey as it is you don't want to know the price for making a few tens of them only.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 11:06:22 pm »
Maybe my fan is bigger than yours  :box:  :-DD

Offline fcb

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »
They (Enabl3rs) have just cancelled their campaign on KS...
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline tinkerelectronicsTopic starter

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 07:07:03 pm »
That's right, as fcb mentioned. We decided to cancel the campaign on last Thursday and concentrate on the work that need to be undertaken to do to improve the product and its options. We have listened to all the valuable feedback and learnt a few lessons through out the process for the next campaign. You will be hearing from us in the near future with an enhanced fume extractor with added features, more options, and hopefully a lowered tager price once we renegotiate with the suppliers, meanwhile we will be working hard on it. We'll keep all of you posted since we want your input to be reflected on the final result.

Thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf