Author Topic: Small Power Grids in Sub-Saharan Africa  (Read 3955 times)

Offline engiTopic starter

Small Power Grids in Sub-Saharan Africa
« on: April 20, 2021, 06:39:36 am »
I have a project to share which I just came across a few days ago

https://www.africagreentec.com/?lang=en

It is a german entrepeneur, who wants to sell containers which can work out of the box/(container) ;)  as a miniature solar power plant.

At least it is a little bit more than just CGI, https://www.africagreentec.com/where-we-work/?lang=en

I would be super curcious what you debunkers think of it!

BR

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
Re: Small Power Grids in Sub-Saharan Africa
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 11:41:08 am »
Well it is heck of a better idea than solar roadways for sure.

The container means it can be hauled by a truck to where it is needed. It is self contained, has a reasonably large solar panel area and uses some of the power to clean up a local water source into clean drinking water. The energy needs of these houses are also very low so the setup should be able to run a large area too. Hopefully they also pack in a few boxes of cable and electrical bits to be able to run the power lines into a few corners of the village.

Id say as long as they find a way to fund construction of these things, it is a pretty good idea. Especially if some funding is also set aside to actually help them get some electrical appliances, especially old stuff that might be going into landfills but still work.

Offline engiTopic starter

Re: Small Power Grids in Sub-Saharan Africa
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 08:05:00 pm »
okay, so at least one additional voice that this could be a feasible concept :)

What I am worried the most ist durability of the solar cells in the climate. Sandstorms?  :o But at least they do not need to expect hail ;)
The other thing is aging of the batterie in the hot container? (Though aren't cold conditions worse ? So electric cars in norway technically even more of a challenge? )

The other thing is maintainance ? How often does a solar cell need spare parts? I guess I need to watch david's videos  8)

Yeah, I guess when you kind of have to make an installation in the middle of the desert you want to make sure that you have all necessities packed. Also one aspect that caught my interest. They build the whole thing in Europe, set it up, check if everthing is working and then "fold it together" in the container with basically everything included. This makes sure that under a difficult  environment everything should go smoothly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf