Author Topic: Soap router - HW specs too good to be true?  (Read 97497 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Soap router - HW specs too good to be true?
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2015, 07:22:31 pm »
Dunno about Soap, but that Julie Jacobson couldn't find her arse with both hands and a flashlight, seemingly. She's probably caused a lot of dithering punters to sign up with Soap.

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline saironTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2015, 05:17:31 pm »
It's funny that those articles are written by Julie Jacobson, a person who vouched for Soap and called me "the real scammer" when I came out with my suspicion that the project is scam.

By the way, another funny fact - if you search for Mongoliandonut (an uncommon nickname that's Alex often using) you'll find this post on drugs-forum.com. Written by a person from US in 2012 - when Alex was 26. Might be a coincidence, but it'd not surprise me if it was him.

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2015, 05:27:51 pm »
Well they already have $1500 for their next boondoggle. Fools and their money...

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2015, 05:29:27 pm »
Yeah, that first Soap article on CEPro was rubbish, and didn't deserve to be published on a "Professional" new site.
And that posting is very likely him - the article about their banckruptcies does mention he owed money to a "detox/rehabilitation facility".

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2015, 06:15:37 pm »
It's funny that those articles are written by Julie Jacobson, a person who vouched for Soap and called me "the real scammer" when I came out with my suspicion that the project is scam.

By the way, another funny fact - if you search for Mongoliandonut (an uncommon nickname that's Alex often using) you'll find this post on drugs-forum.com. Written by a person from US in 2012 - when Alex was 26. Might be a coincidence, but it'd not surprise me if it was him.

I'm not sure why Mrs Jacobson defended the scammers, by the time her article was written it seemed obvious something was very wrong. Perhaps the Dunning-Kruger effect was in full swing for all involved.

http://www.cepro.com/article/indiegogo_drops_the_ball_on_soap_home_automation_but/
Whether or not the operation is a scam
Really...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:18:40 pm by BlueBill »

Offline saironTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2015, 06:48:11 pm »
And that posting is very likely him - the article about their banckruptcies does mention he owed money to a "detox/rehabilitation facility".

Wow, I totally missed that. OK then, that explains everything :D

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2015, 09:34:12 pm »
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-650431.html

Damn, this mongoliandonut dude was on all kinds of drugs. Heavy shit.

EE and Tinkerer.

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2015, 12:48:17 am »
Interesting route they are taking now.

PR Sob story  +  =  classic attempt at manipulation, IMHO. Gotta spin the story somehow to save face. This course might have been the best option? (I mean, besides actually delivering a functioning product)
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2015, 12:52:25 am »
It really is suspicious that they made the $1,000  they needed within the first day of funding.

My guess is, they set it up as fixed funding then contributed $1,000 of their own money to it through various accounts. This is an attempt to make it more legitimate.

At least they haven't raised much more, I mean even $1 to these guys is too much, but it's better than $200,000.

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2015, 12:58:24 am »
after watching the video in kickstart , what options this router offer that a standard router can't offer except putting it in a 7" display  ??? i mean i know not everyone can configure properly his router but most of the features cited in the video can be configured with that 192.168.1.1 embedded configuration page.
A whole bunch of projects is just " give me your money " i mean one of the feature of this device is to be able to be configured with your smart phone , good ,so my 20$ router !!!

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2015, 11:02:23 am »
Soap press release with another sob story. Oh, it's so nice he sponsors a bed, there4 pls buy r merchz.

http://www.soapapp.us/#!Soap-Press-Release-12815/cixn/F0DDD57C-0BBA-4DD0-BF0F-12153363BBAD

Offline jkestner

« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2015, 04:20:35 pm »
And the same people that bought into the indigogo campaign after the obviously scammy kickstarter campaign are the ones that are going to still buy into the third one.  After this project and solar roadways I've pretty much lost any faith that your average person can make tech decisions on their own anymore.

The average person never could make tech decisions on their own, but the ubiquity of good consumer tech has led them to believe they can. http://drop-kicker.com does great work analyzing claims (are there other sites?) but it's for engineers. It's been great reading this thread for analysis of the many telltale signs that a project is, um... high-risk, and I make a sport out of guessing how late a project's going to ship myself.

But I love it when individuals who know better will post comments on campaigns, asking questions that educate the innocents (and probably the creators in some cases). It seems rude to do so when crowdfunding is supposed to be a big chummy community, but worse is to see waves of newcomers get disillusioned on the whole idea by the bad actors.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:22:08 pm by jkestner »

Offline bigdawg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #238 on: September 30, 2015, 12:10:51 pm »
The Soap Router is pie in the sky, it'll never see market. The whole project is smoke and mirrors. Get your money back if you can...

Seems like this prediction has proven right. No updates since Jan 2015, and comment section is flooded with a list of backers wanting a refund. Its all quite sad actually.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaprouter/soap-first-smart-router-w-touch-display-powered-by/comments

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #239 on: September 30, 2015, 04:16:09 pm »
The Soap Router is pie in the sky, it'll never see market. The whole project is smoke and mirrors. Get your money back if you can...

Seems like this prediction has proven right. No updates since Jan 2015, and comment section is flooded with a list of backers wanting a refund. Its all quite sad actually.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soaprouter/soap-first-smart-router-w-touch-display-powered-by/comments

this is a great list of names to scam, they are pre screened and proven to be suckers.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline bigdawg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #240 on: October 01, 2015, 11:24:10 am »

this is a great list of names to scam, they are pre screened and proven to be suckers.

Dont be so hard on them!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf