Author Topic: Soap router - HW specs too good to be true?  (Read 97543 times)

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
Re: Soap router - HW specs too good to be true?
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »
How can they not realise that many people are watching them, and this would be quickly seen to be an off the shelf (and somewhat expensive) development board.
:palm:
It is almost nothing like their "design" they showed (somewhat suspect) 3D renders of, but I guess it could be used as an initial development platform.
I just think they don't know what the term "pre-production prototype" implies.

June 26th. video, test prototype Stress testing, software loading for the first week of july.
I guess today we'll see the actual prototype.
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:06 pm »
How can they not realise that many people are watching them, and this would be quickly seen to be an off the shelf (and somewhat expensive) development board.
:palm:
It is almost nothing like their "design" they showed (somewhat suspect) 3D renders of, but I guess it could be used as an initial development platform.

People putting money into this stuff are not known to actually understand the hardware or even do basic due diligence before going all googly-eyed and taking the credit card out  ::)

How would a Joe Sheep know that it is an off-the-shelf dev board? Or even know what a dev board is? All they see is a picture of an impressive and complicated looking PCB with a lot of chips, so the project is obviously progressing well and the whole thing is totally legit  :palm:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:53:30 pm by janoc »

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2014, 01:13:47 am »
Big surprise, no video.
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline BartManInNZ

• Contributor
  • A Geek In New Zealand
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2014, 11:38:38 pm »
So now nearly 2000 people have supported both the KS and IGG campaigns and all they can show is more 3d renderings... reading the comments makes one weep - people falling over themselves to buy these 'things'. As the old saying goes "more dollars than sense (cents)".
"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work,
but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." - Antoine de Saint Exupery

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2014, 03:55:16 pm »
lol at all the "can you upgrade me to Soap XYZ" posts on IGG and all the people on KS being like "WTF is going on ???"

I have not cared enough to do any math on this,  but all of the  :scared: "LIMITED TIME ONLY DISCOUNT!!!" :scared: BS seems like a totally asinine way to run a campaign. If they are so heavily discounting the top-of-the-line model (where I'm assuming most of the profit should come from), aren't they eating their own dog food, so to speak?

Now they want to add inductive charging to the router. Why??  :-\

Another hilarious thing is how people are pledging for multiple units so they can "mesh" them...what genius marketing, lol.
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2014, 04:13:29 pm »
lol at all the "can you upgrade me to Soap XYZ" posts on IGG and all the people on KS being like "WTF is going on ???"

I have not cared enough to do any math on this,  but all of the  :scared: "LIMITED TIME ONLY DISCOUNT!!!" :scared: BS seems like a totally asinine way to run a campaign. If they are so heavily discounting the top-of-the-line model (where I'm assuming most of the profit should come from), aren't they eating their own dog food, so to speak?

Another hilarious thing is how people are pledging for multiple units so they can "mesh" them...what genius marketing, lol.
Who the f needs inductive charging in a router. For shits sake, it's a bloody router. You plug the damned thing in and you leave it there. So you have an inductive router with a battery, that's great. What about all those ethernet devices you have? For things such as my home server, I prefer the reliability and speed of gigabit Ethernet (now that theres 1300Mbps AC, that's moot, but reliability). I can't pick up my bloody router and carry the stupid thing around
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2014, 04:17:23 pm »

Who the f needs inductive charging in a router. For shits sake, it's a bloody router. You plug the damned thing in and you leave it there. So you have an inductive router with a battery, that's great. What about all those ethernet devices you have? For things such as my home server, I prefer the reliability and speed of gigabit Ethernet (now that theres 1300Mbps AC, that's moot, but reliability). I can't pick up my bloody router and carry the stupid thing around

it's a scam. they're just inflating the bubble by promising new and new features. - the more backers the more money they'll get.
i'm just waiting for the shitload of articles all over the internet once the bubble bursts  :-DD

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2014, 05:13:27 pm »
What if people actually got together and developed something for existing firmwares like DD-WRT, OpenWRT and all the variants. Made a universal configuration app for those? Control your already existing amazing router with super powers from your existing tablet just by installing an app. Ok this open source configuration app for open source linux powered routers might not be a big hit on KS or IGG, but who cares. Using what most people have already and making it even better with some software. Why does the router and tablet need to be inside same enclosure when we already have routers which can be controlled through web interface from a tablet.
Ok like soap router people tell it's not the easiest thing to configure a router, if you want to do directly some tricks with iptables or install programs to do things it becomes even harder. But that is just software we don't need this new developed expensive hardware for things like this. We need to make the existing software easier to use.

Offline BartManInNZ

• Contributor
  • A Geek In New Zealand
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2014, 09:57:20 pm »
...seems like a totally asinine way to run a campaign....
That was the word I was looking for - as others have pointed out, this 'campaign' can only be for their benefit and the detriment of their 'backers'. I hope it implodes before the end of the campaign - either way this is going to cause a lot of grief to a lot of people.
but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." - Antoine de Saint Exupery

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2014, 05:34:04 am »
Looks like they've started to post "for backers only" updates. Oh, the secrets.
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2014, 11:19:22 am »
I'm a $1 backer, so can see the latest backer-only update.
It is just more BS to convince existing suckers backers to part with more money...
Only really needed because they've got everyone confused (including themselves) with what backers have pledged for due to the constant upgrade offers, ridiculous add-ons, and "limited time only" discounts.

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2014, 03:20:21 pm »
I'm a $1 backer, so can see the latest backer-only update.
It is just more BS to convince existing suckers backers to part with more money...
Only really needed because they've got everyone confused (including themselves) with what backers have pledged for due to the constant upgrade offers, ridiculous add-ons, and "limited time only" discounts.

Haha. I should have kept my $1 pledge just to keep reading. No more fun for me.  :=\

Now the "soap bar" they've "created"...jeeeeezus....  :bullshit:
You didn't create anything except yet another rendering.... oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  :blah:
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2014, 11:51:56 pm »
What if they shipped every backer... a bar of actual soap... and then disappeared.  That would be the best.

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2014, 02:29:30 am »
^ I'd be laughing anyway.

Offline BartManInNZ

• Contributor
  • A Geek In New Zealand
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2014, 01:35:24 am »
1500+ suckers going to loose $100 each on average - imagine if it had been called "the potato salad soap router"... they would have been in the millions by now!!!

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2014, 03:58:03 pm »
..issues involving silkscreen and a drill hole that required an adjustment, but not to worry it only set us back about 1-2 days

And 7 days later, all they show are more rendered pictures of vaporware accessories...

Edit: Posted pics of the board.

It's certainly a PCB of some sort. Will it work?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:11:20 pm by dext0rb »
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2014, 07:53:34 pm »
If I'm reading the sightly blurry silkscreen correctly...

"SOAP_carrierboard_rev1.0
To all those who said it wasn't possible and to all the doubters.
Soap is here.
~Alexander
"

Funny.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2014, 08:33:06 pm »
how much of the funds went to the board designer ?  apparently nothing left for the parts  :-DD  :-DD

btw... such a complex things never works on the first try ;) and they still need to write the software....
i assume 5 more crowd funding campaigns and 2 more years and the first soap will be here :D

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2014, 08:44:22 pm »
If I'm reading the sightly blurry silkscreen correctly...

Soap is here.
~Alexander
"

Funny.

Yeah, I think that's what it says. I'm not sure I'd say its "here" in any way quite yet. Gotta applaud the optimism, I guess.

I still don't understand some things about this board - still no mounting holes #1 (for the board or for the standoffs for the Congatec module), but #2, how is the assembler going to run this through reflow without any process rails? Maybe this is the solder sample, but then why would they remove the rails for the picture?

Edit: just realized maybe the board was part of a much larger panel. can't see any marks it was removed from a panel, tho.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:05:15 am by dext0rb »
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline marcan

• Regular Contributor
  • If it ain't broke I'll fix it anyway.
    • My blog
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2014, 06:53:52 am »
It's okay, they'll just solder everything by hand, including that dual-row QFN. That won't be painful at all  ;D

(From OpenVizsla lore: one of the reasons why the project bled money at the start was because we had the bright idea of using a dual-row QFN part in v1 - and botched the footprint the first time - which proved to be completely and utterly unreworkable, worse than BGA.)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2014, 02:39:56 pm »
Soap is here.
~Alexander
"

Funny.

He seems to think that an unpopulated rev 1.0 PCB would make a running router.

Offline dext0rb

• Contributor
  • grind it out
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2014, 10:10:09 pm »
Haha, campaign extended. Oh boy.
EE and Tinkerer.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2014, 02:50:52 am »
For the public record:
The Soap CTO put in an abuse report against this forum to my ISP (well, cloudflare actually) claiming:
I will be filing defamation and slander suits to each contributor and person who has taken part in this.  They continue to endorse it and to attack us personally, our company and our project.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2014, 03:02:10 am »
For the public record:
The Soap CTO put in an abuse report against this forum to my ISP (well, cloudflare actually) claiming:
I will be filing defamation and slander suits to each contributor and person who has taken part in this.  They continue to endorse it and to attack us personally, our company and our project.
:-// We are criticizing your project. If you can't take criticism, don't get on the internet.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2014, 03:52:40 am »
Good luck serving those summonses, though the sheriff of the local court who has to serve them will love the worldwide travel and accommodation that he will have to pay to serve.

Does he realise that the owner of the forum is actually not living in the USA? As well he will have to prove this to each jurisdiction world wide.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf