Author Topic: solar roadways  (Read 46964 times)

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
Re: solar roadways
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2014, 10:17:25 am »
snow plow WILL carve grooves on the asphalt on worst case scenario

I don't see a problem with that. When I had a CRT I would use any old glass cleaner on the screen to get the muck off it, never bother about finger marks, etc. On my LCD with the strange flexible(ish) screen I take a lot more care! If you use brute force stuff designed for old tech on your new tech you are asking for trouble, and if you can't change that brute force you're never going to advance. Thus changing the ploughs makes perfect sense (and trivially cheap compared to the cost of the  road) for the implementors. Those with a grudge won't see that using a forge to make ally parts is silly.
I was trying to make point about their awesome skills for solving problems they have created themselves by doing certain things in certain way. It's not just about the ploughs they have to change. They have to change everything. When does a solution create more problems than it solves?

Get plasma screen and it has tempered glass  :-DD That tempered glass protects the fragile plasmas to some extent, however it also creates really annoying reflections even if it's flat. Plasma screens are awesome when there is no sunlight entering the room. Just be careful with that tempered glass, even if it's hard it might shatter really easy. See? Tempered glass solves every problem!

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2014, 10:19:54 am »
There is also the issue that the asphalt is basically a flexible roof for the subgrade. Roads move and need to be formulated to reduce cracking, handle heat, cold all at the expense of durability. What will be used to keep all the tiles in place?

I'm sure they will come up with something really awesome. If it's anything like what they have done already, solution should be something almost unpractical. Maybe they will use some natural substance like asphalt or tar?

Offline Tranan

• Contributor
  • A Emerging power engineer.
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2014, 05:08:26 pm »
Solar roadwaws are just stupid, noting more than that. We got plenty of roof top. and we got plenty of other areas that we do not use, so no need to re work the roads. and if ti works on 230V AC we can carry the current approx 90m until we need to transform it to some thing useful. And the losses with the electronics. And melt snow! Get real. not a option in Sweden. the power needed is just silly.   

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2014, 06:11:57 pm »
So the original money the got from the government was where the original tiles came from?

Am I correct in assuming that was a feasibility study and it failed (no more funding). It would be interesting to see the final govt report or reply on that if it has one.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »
So the original money the got from the government was where the original tiles came from?
Am I correct in assuming that was a feasibility study and it failed (no more funding). It would be interesting to see the final govt report or reply on that if it has one.

We are still in R & D, and we haven't even calculated the cost for our prototype. That will come next month as we get our final report ready for our Phase II contract with the Federal Highway Administration. And even if we had those numbers available now they would have no relevance to the cost of our actual product.

Next month... month ago? If it's always next month then that is genius.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2014, 07:20:34 pm »
This product would be good but not for roads.

I see it as useful for parking's  and similar, not high volume traffic areas.
If it could just generate during the day all the electricity needed to light/de-ice during the night that would be great.
That would be revolutionary.

They're taking the product a bridge too far.
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2014, 07:22:09 pm »
36-watt (assume is watt/hour) per panel currently so how long will it take to pay for itself?
so $10000 / 36 = $278 per Watt/h

They can come with creative revenue sources using the addressable LEDS.  For example, ads, custom lane marks for paying business (e.g. a red line that leads you to the nearest McDonald) , dynamic preferred lanes for paying customers with real time lane bidding between cars, and so on.

(I am not a supporter, just pointing new possibilities).

Offline TommyGunn

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2014, 07:35:23 pm »
So the White House has invited them over... :palm:

June 18th: We were sworn to secrecy until now, but Solar Roadways was invited to the first ever Maker Faire hosted by the White House. The event will feature Makers, innovators, and entrepreneurs of all ages who are using cutting-edge tools to bring their ideas to life. We we're honored to be chosen. Off to the White House now!

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2014, 10:45:05 pm »
So the White House has invited them over... :palm:

The white house had great track record with solar companies.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2014, 11:16:17 pm »
They're taking the product a bridge too far.

Several bridges too far if you looks at all the wild claims on their website!

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:57 pm »
Just the training and the man hours of qualified installers cost will be exorbitant.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2014, 11:47:22 pm »
36-watt (assume is watt/hour) per panel currently so how long will it take to pay for itself?
so $10000 / 36 = $278 per Watt/h

They can come with creative revenue sources using the addressable LEDS.  For example, ads, custom lane marks for paying business (e.g. a red line that leads you to the nearest McDonald) , dynamic preferred lanes for paying customers with real time lane bidding between cars, and so on.

(I am not a supporter, just pointing new possibilities).

They do have that listed, as well as leasing the cable runs for data, phones, power etc as revenue.
The problem with the LEDs is that they will have to use light guides to make them visible at the required angles.
And McDonalds will just put a tall sign visible from the Highway as they've been doing.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2014, 12:50:46 am »
They do have that listed, as well as leasing the cable runs for data, phones, power etc as revenue.

You mean that stuff that is already in place in a modern society?  ;D

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2014, 01:06:17 am »

You mean that stuff that is already in place in a modern society?  ;D

Exactly!

I'm not defending them, just stating what they claim as source of revenue. I think the whole thing is nuts and a waste of naive people's money.

Offline CrosseyeJack

• Contributor
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2014, 01:17:03 am »
Dave, Loved your video. You should of kept it up even though (iTunes update.... (At Least it wasn't clippy asking "I see you are trying to record a YouTube Video. Would you like me to start Windows Movie Maker")) the video had edit issues. It did show a level of frustration you had with the whole concept. It made you come across as more a "real life person" than a perfectly edited video.

Sample Text.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2014, 02:12:06 am »
Dave, Loved your video. You should of kept it up even though (iTunes update.... (At Least it wasn't clippy asking "I see you are trying to record a YouTube Video. Would you like me to start Windows Movie Maker")) the video had edit issues. It did show a level of frustration you had with the whole concept. It made you come across as more a "real life person" than a perfectly edited video.

Nah, hadn't been up long, and the new video is better for it. Have added some extra stuff I was going to cover in extra videos, so it's better for as a standalone video now.

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2014, 02:48:18 am »
Where is the video? I can't seem to find it.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2014, 03:29:37 am »
OK, new video is up:

Some extra stuff added on LED power output and some calculations on payback period.

Offline Legit-Design

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2014, 11:15:41 am »

Next contender wind roadways  :-DD

Offline deth502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2014, 08:25:48 pm »

literally laughing out loud  :-DD :-DD :-DD thats a fucking classic!

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2014, 08:36:03 pm »

Re-posted all over the interwebs - let's make this go viral!

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2014, 09:42:36 pm »

Oh man...  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
I need to start an actual Indiegogo campaign with wind roadways.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2014, 10:07:22 pm »

And spend it all on a collection of scopes and meters.

A bit like Baldrick form Blackadder but with the electronics equivalent of turnips:

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2014, 11:25:28 pm »

And spend it all on a collection of scopes and meters.

A bit like Baldrick form Blackadder but with the electronics equivalent of turnips:

First is the family tesla. Then we spend it on an Agilent, analog Tek, 2-3 DMMs, SA, and some other odds and ends.

Offline CrosseyeJack

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: June 21, 2014, 01:20:30 am »
Nah, hadn't been up long, and the new video is better for it. Have added some extra stuff I was going to cover in extra videos, so it's better for as a standalone video now.

I didn't watch your "New" video because I though it would be a re-edit but I will catch up on it now :-)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf