Author Topic: SafeSleeve: Stuff on IndieGoGo that manages funding...  (Read 30326 times)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
Re: SafeSleeve: Stuff on IndieGoGo that manages funding...
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 01:58:15 pm »
Radiation shield in the bottom = steel sheet.

Offline TimNJ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 12:06:38 am »
Nice and lightweight...

Offline killernat

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 05:01:00 am »
The only "benefit" would be reducing the heat your balls get. that was a big deal a while ago right ? heat from your laptop killing sperm but yeh this thing goes right along with sticking a box full of caps to the mains to "save money from wasted power" :bullshit:

Offline Dongulus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 05:27:37 am »
Well, shit... these guys went to the same university that I just graduated from. I checked, and thankfully they aren't EE's.

I'm baffled as to why they plan to offer a N0N-RADIATION BLOCKING version of a product designed with the intent of blocking radiation.

Offline adept

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 05:58:21 am »
considering it only costs as much as many normal laptop cases and its also reasonably high quality, not to mention aesthetically appealing, I think I understand why people bought them. now the emf stuff is definitely whack and it really won't make a difference whether there is shielding or not in the case, but now that I think of it, having a nice solid piece of metal protecting my laptop actually doesn't seem like that bad of an idea. :) What do you guys think?

Offline Zapro

• Contributor
  • Breaking stuff to go fix it again
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 06:24:13 am »
I really like that all their advertising material is showing their product with Unibody Macbook Pro's. - Guys, the case is all aluminum, and the only place it radiates is trough the front of the top case with LCD panel and Wifi antennae...

These guys know nothing about EMF...
Sigh...

// Per.

Offline taemun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 07:40:39 am »
(Ever so) slightly off-topic, but I got a whole barrel of crazy right here:

I now only accept health related advice from people who affect a middle name of "Avocado".

For extra credit, just consider the balls it must take to simultaneously sell people "Earthing" gear, to remove the nasty voltages, and also gear which intentionally shocks people to make them live longer:
http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/LongevityZapper2-3-p/longevityzapper2.3.htm

Quote from: Crazy ass website
Because the electro-magnetic field of the Earth is so big, when we are connected to the Earth's negatively-charged electricity via grounding, it gradually pushes into us and pushes off of us any other electrical fields, including the Longevity Zapper's field. Therefore, zapping while grounded or using grounding technology is in no way harmful, but will not give you the effects you desire because the Longevity Zapper's electrical output will be neutralized by the Earth itself.
No wai?! Grounding and zapping at the same time doesn't work!?

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
Re: Stuff on IndieGoGo that manages funding...
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 08:13:23 am »
ZOMG!!!!! The Earth causes cancer!!  :-DD

I thought this too, when looking up basic things when I was curious a year ago. It turns out, it is because of its alternating qualities that causes it to be (possibly) harmful to processes unknown in our bodies.

Electric radiation (volts per square metre) can be blocked by copper, or, er, tin foil, but magnetic (it's electromagnetic after all, right?) cannot.

There are highly permeable materials out there, one was mentioned Mu-Metal, much higher is Metglas whatever that is. From what I recall, the pricing of the sheets of MuMetal (which have to apparently be re-fired or something when they're molded to the desired shape) is not too far-fetched for $70 they're asking. It seems ferrites lay two orders of magnitude smaller in permeability. Not sure what they'd do to fields, or if they are good enough.

I remember joking about making a faraday-cage for both fields once, seemed a little pricy.

Also, I guess wifi is safe as it does not penetrate very far ... so as long as the case is insulative, or , brings your underparts far away from the laptop to prevent direct heat transfer - you'll do okay for wifi or .. heat. Maybe that's the secret?

Tiger.
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 08:26:31 am »
Hmmmm... maybe if it had the words "nanotech"  or "graphene" in there somewhere it'd be worth buying  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 08:39:41 am »
this is like the dirty electricity topic on eevblog forum

unfortunately this fad seems to of hit the news also

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:49:42 am by Sionyn »
eecs guy

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 09:17:34 am »
Dirty electricity? You mean... like, as dirty as it can be between male jacks and female receptacles?
Oh... we talk about real electricity here. For a moment i thought... erm... dirty...
(See, this stuff really is dangerous -- to my moral health, at least.)

Offline joblessalex

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 09:30:32 am »

I now only accept health related advice from people who affect a middle name of "Avocado".

For extra credit, just consider the balls it must take to simultaneously sell people "Earthing" gear, to remove the nasty voltages, and also gear which intentionally shocks people to make them live longer:
http://www.longevitywarehouse.com/LongevityZapper2-3-p/longevityzapper2.3.htm

Quote from: Crazy ass website
Because the electro-magnetic field of the Earth is so big, when we are connected to the Earth's negatively-charged electricity via grounding, it gradually pushes into us and pushes off of us any other electrical fields, including the Longevity Zapper's field. Therefore, zapping while grounded or using grounding technology is in no way harmful, but will not give you the effects you desire because the Longevity Zapper's electrical output will be neutralized by the Earth itself.
No wai?! Grounding and zapping at the same time doesn't work!?
My forehead is bright red, and I think there is a dent in my scull.  :palm:  |O That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while, especially when he grounded the scope probe and when he called the various switching frequencies "harmonics"!

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 11:00:24 am »

My forehead is bright red, and I think there is a dent in my scull.  :palm:  |O That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while, especially when he grounded the scope probe and when he called the various switching frequencies "harmonics"!

This guy is genuinely funny throughout. He made me laugh out so hard and long, it was better cardio training than any other physical exercise. Too sad he does not seem to realize that by presenting his sales pitch on a stage he could be making tons more money just by ticket sales alone...

And, yes. I, too, am an electrical creature before i am an chemical creature!  :-DD  :phew:

EDIT: I stand corrected. This guy actually tours internationally. Just not doing the kind of shows i would pay any attention to (nutrition advice shows). Maybe i should go watching one of his shows...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:14:06 am by elgonzo »

Offline Sam__

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 11:07:32 am »
I think this is relevant.

http://xkcd.com/925/

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 11:18:20 am »
I think this is relevant.

http://xkcd.com/925/

No, of course cell phones do not cause cancer. We all know that making love in autumn will cause cancer...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:20:17 am by elgonzo »

Offline timonthegreat

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 11:32:51 am »
I should strap some over my body and visit the chernobyl power plant see how well they "block" radiation   :scared:

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 11:33:29 am »
i remember bbc getting on the elecromagetic sacre band wagon

eecs guy

Online tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 12:03:19 pm »
That episode... was just cringeworthy. I think the Beeb apologised over that one in the end. It was just so... wrong. In so many ways.

Offline NurseBob

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 02:14:10 pm »
this is like the dirty electricity topic on eevblog forum

One of my Nurse coworkers is absolutely convinced that the smart meters are dangerous to her health due to the RF, and spends hours on her cellphone telling her patients about the risk... :-DD

NurseBob

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:47 pm »
How sad.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »
iv posted this before its some guy who worked for FDA and busted myths about radio frequency radiation   

eecs guy

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 03:20:52 pm »
this phobia over em radiation seems very prevalent more idiots scared of em radiation  |O

how long till they ban the sun ? that is kicking out EM radiation  :scared:  :scared:

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireless/articles/20130205/03222421885/canadian-schools-ban-wifi-based-bad-science.shtml
eecs guy

Online tom66Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 03:55:59 pm »
Mr Avocado does not understand class Y caps. The effect of seeing a potential to ground is quite common (on unearthed power supplies.)

Offline BillGeo

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 08:12:16 pm »

I didn't know that hype!

"dirty electricity..."

Really???

"... the earths antioxidant electrical nutrition pushes of the negative dirty EMF..."

Seriously????
WTF!!!!

And scared clueless parents with small kids will be scared and coned out of their hard earned money by this...!?

I feel sad for the human race!
And it gets worse every day!

Offline Vernon

• Engineer LLC "Where imagination (flying Monkey) takes flight"
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2013, 08:26:04 pm »
Apparently it wasn't RF topics that they studied in school.  "Hey let's design and sell a waveguide pad that focuses microwave frequency emissions on our nuts!"
"Pie are not square!  Pie are round!  They ain't teached you nuthin' at that there Uni Versa Tee."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf