Author Topic: Triton Artificial Gills  (Read 88636 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Triton Artificial Gills
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2016, 10:37:47 am »
ThunderfOOt to the rescue!

But his video is out of date the moment it was posted. Needs another one to keep up with the new liquid oxygen BS  :bullshit:

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2016, 11:23:58 am »
This scheme is very clever: never one single customer complaint or return.

The customer drowned at the first tryout.

Offline Khendrask

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2016, 02:17:03 pm »

Side note: I read an article somewhere, I believe it was recent news, that Kickstarter was hiring an in-house "project feasibility guru", whose job was to assess whether a project was a scam or based on junk science or claims.

I believe it was in response to a Kickstarter project for "washing machine balls", which was an old scam from decades who where plastic balls put into your washing machine were claimed to change the molecules of water and create hydrogen peroxide, eliminating the need for detergent.

I read the comments and they were pathetically funny... dumb backers saying "I have been using these for a few weeks and I don't think they work.  I have friends and coworkers saying I smell and when I tell them I wash clothes regularly, they ask if I am using detergent!".

In this case, I can't see how IGG doesn't have liability.  They were notified that the project was essentially a scam, and they clearly got in touch with Triton and told them they can't keep it up in the manner they did.  So they've demonstrated an interest and effort in filtering out outright scams.  However, it's a fact that LOx can't work if only due to it not existing above -118c, and surely IGG has seen this in the comments and been notified of it by users.  Yet they continue to allow the project to continue.

To me, that's tantamount to willful participation in the scam.

IGG has absolutely no reason to vet any of these projects, even if they KNOW they are 100% scams.  As long as contributions pour in, IGG takes their cut.  That is why IGG has the "Flexible funding" model, where the campaigner gets the cash whether or not the campaign is "Successful".  IGG can only take their cut, if they disburse funds.  Once that happens, it is between the backer and the campaigner. 

Even if you bring lawsuits, IGG is absolved from any and all wrongdoing.  They are the ones that are really the scammers.  That is why IGG takes (Even begs for) projects that KS removes; they are living off of PT Barnums "One A Minute" and laughing all the way to the bank.

KS at least tries to prevent outright fraud, but even so, people need to really think about what they are considering backing.  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2016, 02:41:10 pm »
If IGG keeps this up no-one will take any of their cases serious anymore: ergo out of business.
It is in their own best interest to at least pretend to care  ;)

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2016, 07:03:35 pm »
As for LNO2, you can already get your air tanks filled with "Nitrox" for diving... so that goes back to me not really seeing what Triton's system supposedly brings to the table?

Note that nitrox ix diving terminology for a standard breathing mix of nitrogen and oxygen gasses, which is a very different thing than nitrous oxide.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2016, 07:14:33 pm »
additionally, I think breathing time in open loop with nitrox mix at 15 feet is approximately the same as 100% o2

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
They gave up and refunded everybody:

https://gearjunkie.com/refunded-triton-artificial-gills-campaign-update

Nope, they just changed their tune.  They got called out on their first scam, canceled the campaign, and started a new, equally ridiculous one in its place.

Offline mswhin63

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2016, 12:28:15 am »
Already at $260,000.

Offline Kalidor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #134 on: April 05, 2016, 08:08:56 am »
Whatever it is, Gills, Re-breather, LOx, or an air tank it's all  :bullshit:  :bullshit:  :bullshit:

In the last video he sits in a pool for 12 min 45 sec and breaths 96times!!  (/watch?v=QrT_KtdGFa8)
Now look how much bigger spare air is http://spareair.com/product/models.html
and in the specs "Surface Breaths: 57 based on 1.6L per breath, max pressure 200 bar"
The only cool thing in this video is the first song.  >:D

57 breaths
  |O339 breaths |O
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:27:48 am by Kalidor »
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2016, 08:42:33 am »
I spot some parallels to uBeam:

The funding will be utilized for engineering and product manufacturing. We have found the perfect manufacturer, who has great marine product experience, to produce Triton to the exacting standards we demand.

Career opportunity:
We are looking for a technician in marine technology that can start working with us in fall 2016, please if you feel like you are the right person for the job or if you know anybody that is perfect for this job let us know.

That will be make for some interesting job interviews I suspect!
"So, you haven't done any engineering yet and you expect me to engineer a regulator to take liquid oxygen to breathable pressure in a 10cm^3 volume, ready for manufacture one month from now?"

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #136 on: April 05, 2016, 10:07:10 am »
I spot some parallels to uBeam:
The funding will be utilized for engineering and product manufacturing. We have found the perfect manufacturer, who has great marine product experience, to produce Triton to the exacting standards we demand.

Translation: We haven't actually designed this thing yet, but we are pretty confident it will work, because, well, people gave us money for it.

Offline Khendrask

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2016, 10:58:18 am »
They aren't accepting low donations now on the "New" campaign.  Donate a dollar, and IGG refunds it in about a minute.  Long enough time to post a comment though :)

The following users thanked this post: mtdoc

Offline Kalidor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2016, 12:33:31 pm »
They aren't accepting low donations now on the "New" campaign.  Donate a dollar, and IGG refunds it in about a minute.  Long enough time to post a comment though :)

Just the fact that the latest comment is 11h old shows that all comment sections (IGG + YT) are - say "moderated".
They accepted my $1 until I wrote a comment, refunded comment deleted.
Maybe I make a $1000 donation and write a comment and then cancel it before the campaign ends. You can do that on your admin page.
To see if your comment was deleted you have to logoff from IGG, same for YT.

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2016, 12:42:48 pm »
Those have existed for a long time-- at least since the 80s. Basically an inner tube with a dive flag sticking up, a compressor, and a long hose with a regulator attached. They used to be pretty huge, with a gas powered compressor and such, but they're probably small and electric now. Maybe even solar powered. *shrug* Definitely not the James Bond kind of awesome this company is trying to claim.

I have one. You *could* solar power it, but the average consumption is still in the order of 200w (roughly 16A @ 12v). Still, nicer than a 3hp Honda.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2016, 04:51:18 am »

Youve probably seen people walking around with lo2, something like this Lo2 Portable Storage. This is a medical device with additional regulating components but has a similar storage volume they would need and has a storage time of 9 hours. Being a medical device, it costs $1,000 but the dewar inside of it probably costs a fraction of that (but I dont really know).

Lo2, your always going to end up less than when you start (unless you somehow keep the temps way down with another cryo fluid or device), but you can get the boil off rate fairly low with good insulation and some pressure; you'd have to bring more than you're going to use and you'd probably have to use it somewhat quickly but it can be done.

Those are oxygen concentrators, not LO2 dewars, even the headline on the page is "Oxygen Concentrators"  They use dual pressure swing adsorption canisters, one to soak up nitrogen leaving oxygen rich air for the patient while the other canister regenerates, venting the nitrogen-rich stream.  Also useful for generating dry nitrogen for desiccator cabinets, high power air dielectric coax cables, or Hakkos swanky nitrogen shielded soldering iron http://www.hakko.com/english/n2system/connection-method.html I believe even a hot N2 reflow system is available too.

So old ones could potentially be usable to hobbiests.  :-+

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2016, 05:06:05 am »

Youve probably seen people walking around with lo2, something like this Lo2 Portable Storage. This is a medical device with additional regulating components but has a similar storage volume they would need and has a storage time of 9 hours. Being a medical device, it costs $1,000 but the dewar inside of it probably costs a fraction of that (but I dont really know).

Lo2, your always going to end up less than when you start (unless you somehow keep the temps way down with another cryo fluid or device), but you can get the boil off rate fairly low with good insulation and some pressure; you'd have to bring more than you're going to use and you'd probably have to use it somewhat quickly but it can be done.

Those are oxygen concentrators, not LO2 dewars, even the headline on the page is "Oxygen Concentrators"  They use dual pressure swing adsorption canisters, one to soak up nitrogen leaving oxygen rich air for the patient while the other canister regenerates, venting the nitrogen-rich stream. 

The link is the portable canister for an oxygen concentration system, it is not the concentrator itself. Internally it has to have a dewar or highly insulated canister to hold the lox.

Also useful for generating dry nitrogen for desiccator cabinets, high power air dielectric coax cables, or Hakkos swanky nitrogen shielded soldering iron http://www.hakko.com/english/n2system/connection-method.html I believe even a hot N2 reflow system is available too.

Didn't know this.  I need a desiccator cabinet.... i have to look into it. Thanks  :-+
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 05:14:41 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Offline Khendrask

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2016, 11:10:33 am »

Just the fact that the latest comment is 11h old shows that all comment sections (IGG + YT) are - say "moderated".
They accepted my $1 until I wrote a comment, refunded comment deleted.
Maybe I make a $1000 donation and write a comment and then cancel it before the campaign ends. You can do that on your admin page.
To see if your comment was deleted you have to logoff from IGG, same for YT.

I see that, If I log off, the comment vanishes.  If I log back in, it shows up again, but I assume only for me.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2016, 12:22:26 pm »

Those are oxygen concentrators, not LO2 dewars, even the headline on the page is "Oxygen Concentrators"  They use dual pressure swing adsorption canisters, one to soak up nitrogen leaving oxygen rich air for the patient while the other canister regenerates, venting the nitrogen-rich stream. 

The link is the portable canister for an oxygen concentration system, it is not the concentrator itself. Internally it has to have a dewar or highly insulated canister to hold the lox.

I'm pretty sure there is no LO2 in these things. Otherwise it would be pretty dangerous for patients to travel with them in planes and such.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2016, 12:28:59 pm »
LOX capacity: 0.9 lb (0,41 kg)

As to planes - you just don't travel by plane if you need to use one of those.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2016, 03:36:30 pm »

There is already quite a bit of demand for used medical oxygen concentrators from people who use them for torch setups, e.g. for glass work.

Offline janekm

• Supporter
« Reply #146 on: April 06, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »
LOX capacity: 0.9 lb (0,41 kg)

As to planes - you just don't travel by plane if you need to use one of those.

For a moment I thought you were talking about the Triton, and was ready to post:

Why fly when you can swim there!

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2016, 06:19:23 pm »
 What world are we living in... :palm:

:-DD

Offline stmdude

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #148 on: April 09, 2016, 02:43:48 pm »
Not that anyone would be surprised, but I did a bit of digging on the CEO (since I'm from Sweden as well).

I was actually surprised to find one individual in Sweden with a matching name, age and looks.
To call him an "entrepreneur" is probably stretching the definition well past the breaking-point though.

He is associated with _1_ company, which is his own one-man company (special form of company in Sweden). The company was registered in January of 2014, and has never filed taxes, so there has been (presumably) no income in the company.

That's it..  According to LinkedIn, he's been a sales-guy in all previous jobs to this one..

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #149 on: April 10, 2016, 08:03:19 pm »
I guess that answers the question on whether they meant liquid oxygen as a euphemism for some form of chemical oxygen generation:

Nope. LOX. They're nuts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf