Author Topic: uRuler  (Read 203920 times)

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: uRuler
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2013, 07:47:56 am »
Someone just said they received an empty sealed envelope!  :-//

I find it's best to bag items and then usually tape the bag to the addressed paper insert when I send things in envelopes.  That way if it does get torn there is at least a chance the contents will remain with the envelope or be returned to it.

Sorting machines can really do a number if they catch an edge on something in an envelope.  In some sorting warehouse here in NZ they are probably still picking up LEDs from one of my envelopes that got bit.

I guess with the international orders you'll have to have a customs declaration since it's not printed material, so probably won't get run through an automatic machine anyway but join the parcel conveyor.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2013, 06:11:56 pm »
Saw from the video there are 3 other members from EEvblog near me, one North, one in Pinetown and one south. wonder who they are?

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2013, 07:40:07 pm »
I'm worried about my local (regional?) post office.  Too often, I've received empty envelopes, or magazine covers (just the cover page) in a plastic bag, with a note from the USPS stating, in nicer words but the same effect:  "Your mail was damaged by our equipment.  Tough Shit."

Offline crisr

• Contributor
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2013, 03:22:17 am »
I guess with the international orders you'll have to have a customs declaration since it's not printed material, so probably won't get run through an automatic machine anyway but join the parcel conveyor.
Well, technically it IS printed material, as in Printed Circuit Board  ;D
But the customs legislation in my country clearly exempt from import duties only printed material "on paper"... not that a couple of PCBs in a paper envelope would be flagged for customs inspection anyway.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:43:00 am by crisr »

Offline cornejo

« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2013, 08:35:32 am »

[/quote]

Unfortunately I'm one of those people who have received an empty envelope. However it's pretty clear how the rulers made their daring escape. Photo attached.

Is there a place I should put my name for a replacement?

Eddie

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2013, 08:44:34 am »
To protect stuff like this, I generally stick it to some thin card and fold in half. forming a liner in the envelope.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2013, 08:57:52 am »
A tested way from Ian at DangerousPrototypes is to do the following:

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/How_to_mail_PCBs

Basically tape the PCB inside the envelope, then it cannot move, tear the envelope or slide out. I have received a few boards from him like that before, never had a problem. It also helps to have a stiffer card inside to help the envelope maintain shape when it goes through the various sorting machines.

Jan

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:45 am »
I guess with the international orders you'll have to have a customs declaration since it's not printed material

PRINTED Circuit Board  ;D

Clearly the envelope on it's own isn't going to work. Glad I caught this on the 200 run and not 2000
Options are a plastic bag inside the envelope, taped to folded card (probably too much work at the mailing house for 2000+), or a cardboard photo mailer.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2013, 10:40:10 am »
I would just try for a slightly higher quality (heaver paper weight) envelope, a cardboard mailer could push the postage up a good bit.
Just one set escaping out of 200+ is .5%, it would be cheaper to just have to resend them again.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2013, 10:49:38 am »
I would just try for a slightly higher quality (heaver paper weight) envelope, a cardboard mailer could push the postage up a good bit.
Just one set escaping out of 200+ is .5%, it would be cheaper to just have to resend them again.

Yes, most likely. There is the time hassle too though.
Doing some research now and it seems the "pocket" envelopes with the opening on the end are heavier weight and designed for heavier materials.
One of those with maybe a plastic bag holding the rulers inside should do the trick I think.
The cardboard photo mailer would be classified as a large letter instead of standard.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2013, 10:59:36 am »

Send me an email.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:20 am »
Those TI launchpad boards I ordered came packed with a massive amount of bubble wrap sleeves used as packing. So they must have found a cheap source somewhere. 
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline uUser

« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »
Hi Dave,

I think that another option is buy envelopes with a transparent window, write the address in an A4 sheet, and then glue the rulers to the sheet.
You add the step of fold the sheet, put the sheet folded in the envelop is more difficult, but you save the step of stick the address label to the envelope. Maybe, glue the rulers to the sheet is more difficult that glue it together but, if the rulers are in the right place, they can help to fold the sheet.

Another advantage of this system is that you can add some message for the supporter.

It's only an idea.

Best regards,

uU.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2013, 08:21:59 pm »

Unfortunately I'm one of those people who have received an empty envelope. However it's pretty clear how the rulers made their daring escape. Photo attached.

Eddie
[/quote]

I wonder about just folding tape around the edges of the envelope?
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »
I'd make an A4 sheet with some info on it, a bit of a blurb about the ruler or whatever, then tape the ruler stack to the A4 sheet of paper, fold it in thirds (the usual fold for A4 paper in a DLE envelope), and then put that in the envelope. That way the folded paper is protecting the envelope somewhat, and holding the rulers in place within. It wouldn't be a great deal of extra work either, although any solution is going to be SOME extra work and thus cost...

Offline uUser

« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2013, 12:17:11 am »
samgab,

My idea it's like yours, I only don't know if the stack its a good idea. Maybe the stack it's too heavy and it can unstick from the sheet. Also the stack it's to thick and it can tear the envelop.

Regards,

uU

Offline envisionelec

• Frequent Contributor
Possible solution.
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2013, 04:00:31 am »
Cut pieces of card stock to about the size of the envelope interior. Make two vertical slits in the middle and pass the ruler through the slits so that it's held in compression. Add a bit of clear tape to prevent shifting. If you build a small jig you can probably do this quickly.

Offline ttp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2013, 08:57:02 am »

Offline JackOfVA

• Supporter
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2013, 06:59:15 pm »
Couple thoughts come to mind:

1) Since a fulfillment house is handling the envelope closing, can you use a standard design envelope without the opening near the flap?  (I think you went with the double flap version to save the effort of peeling off the self-adhesive protection strip.)

2) In the USA, a normal business envelope is identified as a #10 size, and is available in tyvek as well as paper.  A  tyvek envelope should be handled by the fulfillment house machinery just like a paper envelope in terms of printing directly on it, etc. but it is much stronger than a paper envelope. http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Park-Lightweight-Anti-Microbial-R2010/dp/B004NYB7QA is one example. I doubt very many rulers will punch through tyvek, although given enough mishandling by the various post offices involved, I suppose it's possible that some small percentage will fail, but those can be handled on a replacement basis.

Hence, a standard #10 envelope (whatever the Australian equivalent is)  but tyvek not paper would seem to address both your problems and should be well within the fulfillment house's machinery capabilities.  Tyvek is a bit more expensive than paper but it avoids the need for a bag and associated labor which I suspect more than offsets the increased envelope price.

If the fulfillment house would do it at the same price and if the envelope price is similar, I would probably go with an end loaded tyvek envelope.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2013, 09:15:44 pm »
+1 for Tyvek envelopes. I have used them in more than one occasion and they are incredibly strong.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2013, 04:24:01 am »
Thanks, hadn't heard of Tyvek before.
Yes, I will be using an end seal pocket envelope either way.
Standard size in Oz is DL/DLX

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #196 on: September 23, 2013, 07:34:23 am »
Woo!! Got my Rulers today, arrived here in Toowoomba with no issues, safe and sound. They look awesome  :-+

-kizzap
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline Guppzor

• Contributor
Re: Re: uRuler
« Reply #197 on: September 23, 2013, 07:58:46 am »
Woo!! Got my Rulers today, arrived here in Toowoomba with no issues, safe and sound. They look awesome  :-+

-kizzap

Another Toowoombaite here and mine arrived safe and sound this morning with no hint of tears or punctures on the envelope. Excellent rulers! Aside from my sidecutters, rulers are the next thing I can never easily find when I need one. The red really stands out on my bench :D

Offline ttp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #198 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:25 am »
Unfortunately more bad news for me and Dave... "damaged by machinery" ticked, arrived from Sydney West Letter Facility, Strathfield.

Offline aacos2

« Reply #199 on: September 23, 2013, 01:10:12 pm »
Hello Dave,

Long time supporter here.

I've signed up on the forum today in hopes of getting in contact with you regarding the uRuler.

My dad is an EEVBlog Fanatic and he goes on about your videos whenever I see him. I purchase him your shirts as gifts whenever his birthday and christmas rolls around and he absolutely loves having them.

Purchasing some rulers for him was a no brainer.

Today I received the familiar envelope from the packaging video a few days ago only to find it perfectly sealed with nothing inside.

The envelope shows no signs of tampering and arrived completely empty.

I purchased 2 rulers and my name is Adrian Acosta.

Is there anything you can do for me? It would be a huge shame for my dad if I can't give him the rulers.

Thank you for taking the time to do this for all of us.

Regards,

Adrian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf