Author Topic: uRuler  (Read 203914 times)

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
Re: uRuler
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2013, 07:04:17 am »
Wasn't asked by Pozible about a name for the shipping address. That might get ... interesting, unless Dave uses the name from my PP account.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2013, 07:13:14 am »
Wasn't asked by Pozible about a name for the shipping address. That might get ... interesting, unless Dave uses the name from my PP account.

IIRC you had to put your name in to register?
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2013, 07:16:48 am »
IIRC you had to put your name in to register?

Ah right, seems I need new batteries for my short term memory. ^-^

Online notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2013, 07:50:32 am »
here's the NOTE that was in the project description  ( did you not read it )

NOTE: Make sure you fill in your postal address details into the Pozible system AFTER the PayPal transaction (don't just close your browser once payment is complete). You can't rely on your PayPal address. No Pozible address = no boards!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2013, 08:02:29 am »

Yes I did. The form you see after paying doesn't ask for your name, *just* the address. ::)

[Which is a bit of bad UI design on part of Pozible. It is very likely some people would want different names on their accounts and ship-to addresses.]

Online notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2013, 08:03:44 am »
999% $24,978 - 30 hours to go, Dave could you post a picture of the corner of the EEVBLOG LAB where I assume you will be sleeping from now on, after SWMBO kicks you out. Thirty more hours still to run, that's going to be more than 10,000 urulers to envelope stuff.
I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, talk about a simple little throw away promo object going viral.

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2013, 08:04:10 am »
and there it goes... 1000%

Congrats Dave.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2013, 08:05:16 am »

NOTE: Make sure you fill in your postal address details into the Pozible system AFTER the PayPal transaction (don't just close your browser once payment is complete). You can't rely on your PayPal address. No Pozible address = no boards!
Why on earth do Pozible not either ask you for these details before going to Paypal, or integrate better with Paypal to extract the address?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2013, 08:07:37 am »
Interesting to note that this will probably be the most profitable PCB Dave has ever designed, yet has no electronic function...

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:24 am »
Interesting to note that this will probably be the most profitable PCB Dave has ever designed, yet has no electronic function...

I'd suggest not the most profitable, but would agree on the most profit that he would receive in benefits.

-kizzap

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:46 am »
I imagine the scene when he told the missus (he did tell the missus, didn't he?):

Honey?
Yes, darling?
Do we have any plans for Christmas vacation?
Well, not really. But what about that Caribbean cruise we though about?
Ah, I was more thinking about stuffing envelopes.
*BAM*

needs to be phrased differently:
"If we spend a week stuffing envelopes, it will Pay for a Caribbean cruise..."

Offline Tooms

• Supporter
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:57 am »
uRuler hit 1000% and still 30 hours to go.

2*600 + 5*1236 = 7380 Rules in 1826 Enverlopes
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:13:12 am by Tooms »

Offline Ketturi

• Regular Contributor
    • Ketturi Electronics
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2013, 08:42:52 am »
Wow, µRulers were far more wanted than Dave expected. Should Dave have put 25,000 to original target, and start an industry around rulers  :D, but then EEVblog would probably suffer.
BTW, could deal be made with post office to get cheaper shipping and no need to lick so many stamps? Like we have envelopes printed with"<company> will pay postage" where stamp would be. If address and "stamp" were just printed to envelope, job would be two times faster and easier.
Ketturi electronics: http://ketturi.kapsi.fi

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:06 am »

Stationary is a good business, excuse me I need to top up my HP selling ink and toner now.

Offline madworm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2013, 11:09:00 am »

Ah? It is a perfect tester for continuity testers!

Offline nathanpc

• Supporter
    • Innove Workshop
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2013, 11:38:00 am »
Congratulations Dave! Can't wait to receive my rulers. I just received Dave's email about the logistics, it'll be a lot of work for sure.

Offline crisr

• Contributor
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2013, 01:10:05 pm »
Time to put the entire family to work  ;). Maybe you can make a video of the sweatshop afterwards  ;D

BTW, could deal be made with post office to get cheaper shipping and no need to lick so many stamps? Like we have envelopes printed with"<company> will pay postage" where stamp would be. If address and "stamp" were just printed to envelope, job would be two times faster and easier.
Here you can drop at the post office with a box of envelopes, pay the postage and they will print the "stamps" on the envelopes using a specific machine...

Dave, I hope you checked with the post office that it's ok to send PCBs as letters (some may classify that stuff as parcel)... anyway, that's "printed matter" after all, just on fiberglass instead of cellulose fiber :)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2013, 01:45:54 pm »
Time to put the entire family to work  ;). Maybe you can make a video of the sweatshop afterwards  ;D

:-+ Having done 1000+ CDs with instructions in the post multiple times, it should not be too bad.
Trick is to print the labels separately for the 2 and 5 rulers.  This saves you from having to use your brain when stuffing the envelopes.  Stuff all the 2 ruler and then the 5 ruler envelopes.  Then stick on the appropriate labels.  We often scab a few mail bags from the post office before hand. (For some reason most mail bags in Ireland have "Royal mail" on them, complements of those detained at Her Majesty's pleasure.)  When drop the lot at the local post office and get them to frank them.  No extra charge once your have 500+.  Now, the problem with this is they have sat for a few days in a back room before they got around to doing them.  If we want them to go fast we stamp them ourselves and drive around to a few post boxes, filling them up.  The reason for going to post boxes, rather than directly to the post office is a very old law (which may well be the same in Oz) which I believe states the boxes must be emptied the letters processed each night.  There is no such requirement for bags left at the post office.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:48:22 pm by Towger »

Offline MacAttak

• Supporter
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2013, 02:57:38 pm »
The success of this campaign says a lot about the general state of availability of decent rulers. It's quite hard to find a good one these days - especially at that price. The PCB-centric gauges and tables are just icing on the cake.

I can't be the only one who actually will use theirs (as opposed to just joining the campaign out of altruism).

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »
The big problem for Dave is the missing addresses, unless the PayPal ones can be merged in, and then you will have the 'Missing' and 'Damaged' complaints coming in for a month or two afterwards.

Offline Orpheus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2013, 04:57:29 pm »
Scant minutes after he opened the campaign I told Dave he was missing a bet by not offering a signed version. He scoffed.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2013, 05:09:11 pm »
I can't be the only one who actually will use theirs (as opposed to just joining the campaign out of altruism).

I intend to store a few of mine for safe keeping, to have around for EEVBlog forum photography. I have a suspicion they will end up being the standard scale indicator around here sometime in the very near future.

The rest I will use as rulers. Really like the fact that they are very thin.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2013, 05:29:23 pm »
I will certainly use it, and maybe give away one or two to friends. I just hope that my address was not f*cked up too much because I did not understand the strange way Pozible asked for it...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
uRuler
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2013, 05:38:11 pm »
I will use it as a ruler and for chose mils and hole diameter.

Te other i will give to my friends as a gift
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2013, 05:43:21 pm »
I will certainly use it, and maybe give away one or two to friends. I just hope that my address was not f*cked up too much because I did not understand the strange way Pozible asked for it...

You can change it at any time.  I assume Dave will get all of the addresses at the close of the project.

Pozible's website is very confusing, though.  There is no Addressee field for shipping.  I guess it is just going to use the user's login name.  Naturally I didn't use my full name as my login.  I'm sure I'll get it still.

Also, the "Notifications & Preferences" options couldn't be more confusing.  The options of "Off" or "On" are not clear at all.  What does "Do not share my email address with the projects I support == Off" mean, exactly?  WTF?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf