Author Topic: uRuler  (Read 203914 times)

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: uRuler
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2013, 05:50:05 pm »
There is no Addressee field for shipping.  I guess it is just going to use the user's login name.

What worries me more is that there is no field for city, but mandatory fields for suburb and state, both of which are not used here. So where do I put my city? I ended up putting it in the suburb field, but it still doesn't feel good...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

alm

« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2013, 06:21:17 pm »
City instead of suburb should be fine, as long as it ends up in approximately the correct order the postal service will likely figure it out.

It's a dumb idea to force people to use your local address format if you're aiming for an international audience. Just study the address formats used across the world and you'll quickly come to the conclusion that the only viable way is to provide address line 1 to n. Countries may put street numbers before or after the street, street numbers may not actually be just numbers, some addresses use building names instead of numbers, some countries require a state, province or territory, some countries require some sort of post office number in addition to city and postal code, some require locality, the list goes on. Just let people format their own addresses, then at least half of them should be able to get it right ;). You'd be surprised how many people have trouble spelling their own name.

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2013, 06:49:52 pm »
I totally plan to use my rulers!  It will be a standard tool on my bench.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2013, 06:59:50 pm »
(...) and then you will have the 'Missing' and 'Damaged' complaints coming in for a month or two afterwards.
That is one of the reasons I ordered five: if they are stacked up and aligned, the whole assembly is more solid :)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline MrAureliusR

• Supporter
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2013, 07:18:23 pm »
Almost at %1100 now...  :wtf: Poor Dave!!  :scared:
--------------------------------------
Canadian hacker

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2013, 07:30:05 pm »
Post office can be good at times, the one guy at work had his address as his name, Unnumbered house, Unnamed street, Amaoti. He got mail delivered there for years, only had problems when the streets were finally named...... You can see his house on street view now.

Offline MFX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2013, 07:52:11 pm »
Rather than labels might be worth investigating a second hand high speed envelope addressing printer from Ebay etc. If it printed the address and the number of rulers for that order on the envelopes then a quick glance would tell you how many rulers to stick in that envelope (or just split it into a 2 ruler run/5 ruler run) Then get someone to whizz them through a franking machine, or can you buy electronic postage in Australia?. Would be a LOT quicker than all that peeling and sticking. Sell printer back on EBay when done or do a tear down of it :-)

Martin.

Offline Kempy

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2013, 10:23:25 pm »
16 hours left and so far Dave will have to ship 8285 rulers in 2065 envelopes!   :phew:

Or to put it another way, a stack of rulers  4.14m (13.6 feet) tall!

If you put them end to end they would stretch 1.47Km (0.92 miles)!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:48:27 pm by Kempy »

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2013, 01:48:47 am »
Watch, now the copycats will start flooding Kickstarter, IGG and Pozible with various designs of ruler  :-DD
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2013, 02:34:29 am »
Rather than labels might be worth investigating a second hand high speed envelope addressing printer from Ebay etc.

Good idea.
I don't see any affordable on ebay though.

Offline adam1213

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2013, 02:48:09 am »
Rather than labels might be worth investigating a second hand high speed envelope addressing printer from Ebay etc.

Good idea.
I don't see any affordable on ebay though.

Some general purpose printers also do envelopes. Though you would need one that can handle many envelopes at a time.

I wonder what the costs would be to have a commercial printing facility print the address on envelopes.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:50:32 am by adam1213 »

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2013, 03:36:53 am »
Just order the missus to stuff and address the envelopes, put your feet up and have a beer.
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2013, 07:35:25 am »
Just order the missus to stuff and address the envelopes, put your feet up and have a beer.
Considering the dinner that Dave is going to buy her from the posh-est restaurant in Sydney it would probably be worth it.

Yeah I couldn't help but buy 5 rulers... Does that make us all "supporters" now?

P.S. : Dave I'll be that guy in Texas with the German last name where you'll see it and "WTF?" and spend a few minutes trying to figure out how it is pronounced. And yes there's actually more people with that last name. The city in which I grew up (population about 300k) had 6 people in the phone book with that last name that were not related to me. There's also a linux kernel developer with my name that's not me and a guy at Microsoft with my same name. He was a real dick by the way. He used to send me nasty e-mails when people would accidentally sent him e-mails that were meant for me... Like it was my fault we had the same name. Screw him. He still works for MS and I don't any more.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:44:41 am by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Guppzor

• Contributor
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2013, 08:52:29 am »

His feet would probably be up, but drinking a beer (or other beverage of his choice) would require consciousness...

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2013, 08:54:22 am »
Maybe talk to these people http://www.mailmasters.net.au/
If you can get envelopes pre-printed with address, postage and quantity that should  save a lot of effort even if you do the final stuffing
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2013, 08:59:47 am »
Nice, I am the 2182th supporter!

Dave, for the envelopes do whatever you want, I have no hurry!  O0

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2013, 09:20:20 am »
If you can get envelopes pre-printed with address, postage and quantity that should  save a lot of effort even if you do the final stuffing

Yes, that's the current plan, at least have the envelopes pre-printed with address and postage.

Online notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:39 am »
5 hours to go and it just hit $30k

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2013, 09:42:18 am »
5 hours to go and it just hit $30k

How about a quick competition to guess the final figure?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online notsob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2013, 09:46:18 am »
And the winner is/are

THE POSTAL SERVICES

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2013, 09:54:28 am »
How about a quick competition to guess the final figure?

I'm guessing around A$ 33,000. There will be a final push, once people realize just how important it is to be part of the first international EEVBlog µRuler fundraiser. ;)

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2013, 10:13:18 am »
I'm guessing around A$ 33,000. There will be a final push, once people realize just how important it is to be part of the first international EEVBlog µRuler fundraiser. ;)

I vote $32 999 or less....

-kizzap
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline Phroon

• Contributor
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2013, 10:17:47 am »

I already have a µCurrent, now I need the entire µLineup!

Maybe someday I'll even get my hands on the completed µSupply.  But what's after that, a µBolometer? ;)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2013, 11:44:53 am »
I already have a µCurrent, now I need the entire µLineup!
Maybe someday I'll even get my hands on the completed µSupply.  But what's after that, a µBolometer? ;)

There is the µWatch and µCalc too.

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2013, 12:06:59 pm »
Dave,

now with 10000 rulers to order you could made them with ENIG surface finish, these i got from you (with no surface finish) they not looking that cool anymore after 6 months.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf