Author Topic: WEMAGIN: INTERNET PRIVACY GADGET  (Read 4631 times)

Offline cybergibbonsTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
WEMAGIN: INTERNET PRIVACY GADGET
« on: November 21, 2014, 08:03:38 am »
This rather dubious privacy gadget has appeared on Kickstarter. This is the third project we've criticise in the last month due to really outlandish claims.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1052775620/wemagin-smart-usb-drive

I've written a fairly lengthy blog post about why their claims are dubious. Really the first 4 points are all you need to know, but read the rest if you want to see some fairly strange behaviour:
http://cybergibbons.com/security-2/why-does-the-wemagin-internet-privacy-gadget-look-like-snake-oil/

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: WEMAGIN: INTERNET PRIVACY GADGET
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 08:31:11 am »
Privacy gadget where you need to login to web service each time... It's like tracking all of your activity every time.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 12:58:47 pm »
the first 4 points are all you need to know

I think you've missed a trick with point 3 (potentially - I doubt if they are doing this, but it is at least feasible).

You say that to use a VPN you need to run something on the pC, but you don't. The USB stick can have onboard processing sufficient to set up a VPN tunnel, and then present it's interface to the PC (or tablet or whatever) as a USB network interface. Thus the processing is done on the stick for VPN, a normal USB network driver is all that's needed on the PC.

Of course, the stick will require access to a network. If it is WiFi then it's all sorted, otherwise... dunno, but I think your point 3 would be relevant then :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 02:45:37 pm »
That wouldn't align with the videos they show and what they claim to do though. They show a browser running, and VPN command software running on the machine somehow. You'd also have to be able to create a USB network adapter which is not possible on most PCs.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:19:33 pm »
the first 4 points are all you need to know
You say that to use a VPN you need to run something on the pC, but you don't. The USB stick can have onboard processing sufficient to set up a VPN tunnel, and then present it's interface to the PC (or tablet or whatever) as a USB network interface. Thus the processing is done on the stick for VPN, a normal USB network driver is all that's needed on the PC.
They use usual of the shelf Chinese USB flash. http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/waterproof-function-oem-usb-flash-drive_610324680.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:23:03 pm by wraper »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 04:23:36 pm »
That wouldn't align with the videos...

Yes, fair enough. I was just making the point that it doesn't have to be that way, so it shouldn't be a showstopper.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »
I can't believe how blatant they are with their astroturfing :D

If you were in the business of cheating people, surely you'd make some attempt at posting positive comments that aren't obviously from the team promoting the product?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 11:07:43 am »
Yeah, it's very odd. Unfortunately no concrete proof.

But it's great fun winding them up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf