Author Topic: Auto routing a 4 layer board  (Read 6106 times)

Online SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Auto routing a 4 layer board
« on: May 09, 2015, 12:11:05 pm »
I'm trying to route a board.As it needs to carry 10 A I have chosen to have to power planes once the negative and one for positive as the central layers. This is because it would make life easier to route the components on the top and I will also need to use the top layer as some heat sinking.

The auto route is failing to work doing an absolutely disastrous job and just completely missing many possible routes. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the settings relating to vias and clearances as most beers will have to go through 2 layers to reach the other side.

The dip trace help pages are pretty useless. Will the also route sort out via types on its own or do I need to define each type of via myself so that the auto root router can use it

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Auto routing a 4 layer board
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 12:27:42 pm »
Now i am not that familiar with diptrace, but it seems like you can export and have another autorouter take a crack,

e.g. as described here,
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/diptrace/autorouting-smd-much-worse-than-pth/

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »
I'm trying to route a board.As it needs to carry 10 A I have chosen to have to power planes once the negative and one for positive as the central layers. This is because it would make life easier to route the components on the top and I will also need to use the top layer as some heat sinking.

The auto route is failing to work doing an absolutely disastrous job and just completely missing many possible routes. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the settings relating to vias and clearances as most beers will have to go through 2 layers to reach the other side.

The dip trace help pages are pretty useless. Will the also route sort out via types on its own or do I need to define each type of via myself so that the auto root router can use it

did you, when you made those two extra layers create the fill with attached net then have the fill size to the pcb size automatically for each layer? I've done 4 layer boards with gnd/vcc as internal and the autorouter will route (terribly, but no better or worse than routing 2 layer).
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Online SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 05:31:40 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean about having the fill automatically fill the board. I have created a copper pour for each layer and have made it almost the same size as the board. The copper pours have been attached to the related nets.

It would seem that this is a similar problem to routine with copper pours that we discussed before on another thread where if a component is connected via a copper pour the program leaves the rat lines in as though the components are not connected together despite the fact they were individually connected to the same pour.

Now that I have created vias to go between each potential pair of layers I am getting less collision errors.

Once again the dip trace auto router proves to be very inadequate and not a finished product.

Offline BloodyCactus

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kråketær
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 11:32:52 am »
This is what I have,

1 - I create layer, pick its net (VCC)

2 - I select the layer, create a copper pour, connect it to net VCC and hide all ratlines

3 - check snap border to outline

done. now this is on a through hole board so my pins cross layers and things connect automatically.
-- Aussie living in the USA --

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf