Author Topic: Considering the unthinkable  (Read 893 times)

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
Considering the unthinkable
« on: March 28, 2020, 08:37:02 am »
I'm WFH so have some time to progress a project which has been on the back burner for a while.  The design has quite a lot of repeated components and this has just pushed me over the 500 pin boundary of my current Non-Profit licence.  I think ultimately it will be around 800 pins.

Now... I could pay to upgrade to the 1000 pin version... or I could use this as excuse to try KiCad!

(It's a bit annoying since I have quite a lot of the design in DipTrace already and I'm not sure it is easy to go DipTrace-> KiCad?)

What do you think?

Offline jeremy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Considering the unthinkable
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:13:12 am »
I have tried to do this several times. My main pain point is that making footprints in kicad is a lot slower than in diptrace. However kicad has push and shove, which the diptrace guys have been “working on” for longer than I can remember. If you haven’t used it before, I suggest you try designing a board from scratch with new footprints in kicad to see how it works for you.

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 04:36:11 pm »
DipTrace gave me a trial 1000 pin licence for a few months which was very considerate of them.... but I'm going to try it anyway... just for one board in the first instance.

It's quite painful changing tools especially for routing... but I have some time... so the time is now.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 07:06:13 pm »
This is what i thought when i had to make a big ass board that required at least the 2000 pin license..
A few months ago, it was probably the fifth time that i tried kicad.
Granted it has improven but god the user interface is still so incredibly retarded. Shut up and take my money

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 08:18:23 am »
I am finding the manual routing very challenging (and getting a bit sad remaking patterns/footprints) but I am going to try and stick with it for at least this one board since otherwise I will be in a situation where I have a big board that I cannot amend without a forced upgrade.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 08:54:48 am »
I've been working with Diptrace for 10 years now and I own a full, unlimited $1,000 license.  Of all the $1,000 purchases I've made in my life, this is one that I have never regretted.

Once you get good at it, making your own footprints in Diptrace is pretty easy.  I have many that I've made and a few that I've tweaked because I didn't like the one that came with Diptrace; you can import the Diptrace one to your library and then modify it.  I sometimes make my own 3D models to go with the footprints I create.

I've recently done a little bit of work with Kicad's viewer; if that's what it's like using the actual tool, you can keep it.

One thing that I really like about Diptrace is that it's stable.  I can work for months and never have it crash.  I was being forced to work with Altium but I hated it as it would crash on me 3 times a day.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 10:12:42 am »

Re: Considering the unthinkable  :scared:

I came here to try and talk down OP from jumping off a bridge or ship in shark infested waters,
due to fear of Corona

:-[

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 10:21:36 am »
I 99% agree with you.  DipTrace is simple, intuitive and it works.  In particular it has features that you just take for granted like alignment and distribution and a consistent UI across schematic and layout.
However, after doing two boards in KiCAD, I think I have proved that KiCAD is definitely useable and once you learn the UI it is possible to be efficient.  The feature I really like is that the file formats are parseable and can be scripted (which is a saving grace for some other missing features).
I like the push and shove but I miss the rubber banding when moving a component/footprint... swings and roundabouts.
Could I survive without DipTrace?.... possibly.... do I want to... not decided yet... I might still pay for 1000 pins.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 11:27:25 am »
How much does Kicad cost?

Are you aware that a MAJOR release of Diptrace (Vn4.0) is almost here?  If you buy Diptrace 3.3 now, you'll get free upgrade to 4.0.

While it's still in Beta, you can see that the Diptrace crew are working hard on it in the Forum.  When discussing the new Digikey library link feature (around page 5), this was an interesting comment...

I did enjoy the Youtube showing how to install the digikey libraries, the kid only crashed KiCAD three times...

I'll be paying the (approx) 25% of list price for the upgrade.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 11:36:12 am »
I just moved to KiCAD after being fed up with the instability, sluggishness and unreliability of Altium Designer.

I still prefer Altium style library, so I spent this entire day (at least the most part of it) recreating the "standard" schematic library (device.lib) so that it looks familiar and cool.

After modifying/creating a few dozens of schematic symbols and a few PCB footprints, I think I'm totally fine with the ergonomic of KiCAD, and I look forward to use it in production.

Funny that I'm making a shopping list for my newly formed group in our company, and I'm seriously thinking to remove the 2 copies of Altium Designer from it.

They cost $20k each (vindictive pricing in China to combat piracy), and I could have a good use of that $40k on many wonderful test gears.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 01:18:42 pm »
After modifying/creating a few dozens of schematic symbols and a few PCB footprints
My first design needed a dsPIC33 that didn't exist in the standard libraries so my first task was creating a symbol and footprint... seemed relatively painless (and I could partially script it).... I do miss being able to move the origin though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf