Author Topic: Considering the unthinkable  (Read 3482 times)

Offline djerickson

• Contributor
Re: Considering the unthinkable
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2020, 01:40:29 pm »
A few years back I was trying to break my ExpressPCB addiction and looking for a real PCB tool. I have used almost every PCB tool in my past, but only to review designs, not to do layout.  I met a professor at Olin College and asked him what tool they use. He said Diptrace, and that most students do their first schematic and PCB layout over a weekend. I was sold on Diptrace and dozens of designs later, I have not looked back. Easy to learn, intuitive, powerful enough for any 2-4 layer design. I love it.

I can't stand the Eagle user interface. Altium is too complicated and expensive. Couldn't like Kicad. I love the simple ExpressPCB, but proprietary PCB's!  Diptrace is just right. For non-pro use I use their $125 1000 pin 4L licence. For Pro I'll pay the $395 gladly.

Dave Erickson

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 04:36:20 pm »
I'm thinking of taking a look at Diptrace for hobby use as my existing package is getting long in the tooth...  does anyone know:

Can Diptrace export the PCB artwork layers as hi res PDF or other image files, preferably vector format but bitmap ok too?

Can you place arbitrary graphics on a Diptrace layer (e.g. a vector drawing of a cat, or a bitmap of a dog) and have it appear in the Gerbers and exported graphics?

Can Diptrace do stuff like flood fill a ground plane around existing tracks etc.?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2020, 05:10:40 pm »
I'm thinking of taking a look at Diptrace for hobby use as my existing package is getting long in the tooth...  does anyone know:

1. Can Diptrace export the PCB artwork layers as hi res PDF or other image files, preferably vector format but bitmap ok too?

2. Can you place arbitrary graphics on a Diptrace layer (e.g. a vector drawing of a cat, or a bitmap of a dog) and have it appear in the Gerbers and exported graphics?

3. Can Diptrace do stuff like flood fill a ground plane around existing tracks etc.?

1. not that I know off
2. yes
3 yes

Just download free version.. You will be able to work in it in few hours..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf