Author Topic: DipTrace Headers?  (Read 9669 times)

Offline AttorneyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
DipTrace Headers?
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:38:44 pm »
Anyone here create a set of common PCB headers in DipTrace?  I'm thinking of AMP, Molex, 0.100" types, etc.  It's one thing sorely missing in DipTrace. 

Paul

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
Re: DipTrace Headers?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:33:01 am »
I can't help you directly, I've created a couple of different headers from the ones you're requesting, but I discovered that it's not so complicated (you have only to be patient).

I think you should try to make them by yourself: it would be a good exercise and surely the learning process will be useful in the future for your next projects with other components.

Offline cidcorp

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:25:15 pm »
Aren't there HDR* ones in the GENERAL library.  Doing the Objects->Find Pattern (In PCB Layout) use "HDR" as the Name search parameter.

0.1" inch headers, single, double, right angle.

Don't get me wrong, I agree, I'm always creating the parts when I need them... last time I relied on a Library part was for a simple SOIC16 54HC* family device, and
silly me I did not double check the footprint attached.  I didn't even notice the problem when doing the layout (I'm a moron lol).  When I got the PCBs I found that the
library device used a Wide version on the SOIC-16 and the part was impossible to find...had to do a second run with a part I made so I was sure.

I find in general the basics are all in the libraries, just difficult to find.  They should consider adding a COMMON library with all the basics in one place, named in common English
not manufacturer part numbers.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:46 am »
I've made a few, and then made the 3d models for them. 

Diptrace kinda sucks when it comes to 3d models though.  In Solidworks, you can make the part as one piece, color the faces, and then import it into .wrl that Diptrace useses, however, diptrace doesn't see the colors and it's just all grey.  In Solidworks you have to create each part separate, pins, case, etc, color each part separate, then insert them all into an assembly, then save as .wrl.  That's only way I've found that Diptrace sees the colors when viewing in 3D mode.

Making a part library is pretty easy. It just takes time, and patience.  Just make them as you need the parts for your design.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:40:30 am »
it would be soooo nice if diptrace had a world wide library, like google does for sketchup
I've always found a part I needed in sketchup, but rarely in diptrace
their library is huge, but it's difficult and long to find something in it.

Offline techenut

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 03:49:08 pm »
There are many header patterns in the Headers and the DSUB library (.lib), including .1 headers and right angle headers. Use these to create the corresponding components. I don't know why Diptrace doesn't create these components for us. But it is a simple task to create the components from the pattern and it gives you good experience working with the component editor.

I create a new component library (header.eli)  and whenever I need a new header I add it to the library.

I sometimes use the IC 2 sides type and sometimes give each pin a short name like Ain 0  (first analog input). This makes the schematic more readable if you have a lot of pins that aren't apparent by the pin #.

Diptrace is the easiest to use schematic and layout software that I have ever used.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf