Author Topic: Diptrace v3.3 Beta is out  (Read 12994 times)

Offline johnboxallTopic starter

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
Diptrace v3.3 Beta is out
« on: October 10, 2018, 09:23:46 pm »
"Improved Manual Routing, Configurable Precision and Additional Import/Export Capabilities in the new BETA version of DipTrace PCB CAD. We have also polished the existing features and redesigned the interface to make DipTrace even more user-friendly. Download DipTrace 3.3 Beta now! "
https://diptrace.com/download/download-diptrace/

The following users thanked this post: b_force, Koen, JPortici

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
Re: Diptrace v3.3 Beta is out
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:00:24 pm »
Really nice guys!

I am still very impressed by Diptrace.
It's a whole lot cheaper than most other professional EDAs with a very easy to understand GUI.
Extra compliments for how much time and effort you put in actually really listening to the community!  :-+ :-+
There are not a lot of developers out there (including the free ones) who can say that.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:25:53 am »
I'm digging the new routing dialog on the left (although not sure if it would be better on the right perhaps? maybe because i was used to it being there)

I remember them mentioning they were going to be implementing push and shove in this release but i can't find it yet.

I tried to route a couple of parallel traces with "Follow Rules" enabled.
It was actually harder for me to place them, i'd rather place the trace and adjust manually. what I think should happen is that the trace places itself according to the rules, but now if a trace segment doesn't follow the rules (like overlapping) it won't be placed, period.

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:35:05 am »
I'm digging the new routing dialog on the left (although not sure if it would be better on the right perhaps? maybe because i was used to it being there)

I remember them mentioning they were going to be implementing push and shove in this release but i can't find it yet.

I tried to route a couple of parallel traces with "Follow Rules" enabled.
It was actually harder for me to place them, i'd rather place the trace and adjust manually. what I think should happen is that the trace places itself according to the rules, but now if a trace segment doesn't follow the rules (like overlapping) it won't be placed, period.
They are still working on the push and shove, but decided to bring out a beta with all the other changes already. If I understand correctly the final version has the push and shove.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 06:12:16 pm »
I just installed the new DipTrace v3.3 version (no longer in beta).

Found a new problem during first look.  The "zoom in" button on the 3D Preview page no longer works.  Looks like they messed up the button hooks while adding the new board thickness options.

Also, the "route manual" button always pops up the "Routing" menu on the left side.  And then switches to the "Place Component" menu even after turning these menus off to see more screen space.  The View Toolbars selections are all messed up now (i.e. CTRL+1 function).
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:48:11 pm by MarkF »

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 06:36:24 pm »
I really love DipTrace but it's totally frustrating how slow the progress is and how few feature requests are implemented. Even the easiest to implement things suggested years ago like exporting gerber/drill with one click instead of dozens (e.g. two for each gerber layer when overwriting) were never done and I begin to think they never will be.
Actually I wonder if anybody developing Diptrace actually uses it himself/herself and if there is more than one fulltime (?) developer anyway. Like there are so many things that would need an hour to implement and would make DipTrace so much better to work with and they don't even seem to understand the suggestions.
About push and shove, I'd bet this will never make it in 3.x but will happen only in 4.x in two years or so.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline djsb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 11:46:54 am »
I've just noticed that you can import Kicad files now as well. Along with the ability to import Gerber files this is very useful.
David
Hertfordshire,UK
University Electronics Technician, London PIC,CCS C,Arduino,Kicad, Altium Designer,LPKF S103,S62 Operator, Electronics instructor. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Credited Kicad French to English translator.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 12:35:44 pm »
Honestly I hadn't really noticed that DipTrace can import Gerbers until some weeks ago.This is a super handy feature for some specific tasks. In my case, I wanted to create one common stencil for some small boards so I could try a steel stencil from Seeed Studio.
Didn't try KiCad import but Eagle Import works OKish. Like in works in principal but there's a lot of work to do to fully convert the imported schematic and PCB to DipTrace. Lots of space for improvements.
I would expect the KiCad support to be the same. Anyway, any progress is good.

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 11:11:15 am »
I notice that a 3.3.0.1 update was released in that last couple of days. Can't find any info about what's changed in the new revision, anybody know?

Probably just a bug fix release? Maybe they just fixed the issue with the zoom in button on the 3D Preview... ;D

Offline Rolo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 11:18:55 am »
Release notes can be found on the diptrace forum, news and events section. https://diptrace.com/forum/

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:21:35 am by Rolo »

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 07:18:39 pm »
Huh, I looked at the DipTrace forum, but didn't see that post for some reason. Thanks.

2. Fixed - Component Editor loads only first 1001 components of the library.

Heh, I encountered this bug today. I thought I was going crazy when Component Editor wasn't listing some library parts but Schematic Editor was. Good to know it wasn't me! :phew:

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 01:28:30 pm »
Improved Manual Routing

Well done. Manual routing was already very good, but with the new visual aids added, it is now excellent!
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 03:29:15 am »
New release today.  Version  3.3.1.3.

I've not been able to find any new release notes.  Their "What's new" page is always old and nothing new on their forum.  The forum mentioned possible changes associated with PCB ordering (Not a big deal for me.  I don't order PCB's from within DipTrace.  Just export the Gerbers.).

A cursory look doesn't show any big change.

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 09:27:54 am »
I’m actually getting quite disillusioned with the diptrace updates , the package hasn’t really improved much in the last 3 years. Updates contain very minor bug fixes or additions to non essential parts of the software. ( like pcb ordering ). I have been using diptrace since 2011 , and I like the package , but not a lot has happened in the last few years
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:14:22 am by MadScientist »
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 11:34:45 am »
Yeah, even for a very small team, they are extremely slow. There are one-man projects which show much more progress.
Like even the most basic suggestions (one click Gerber export) I made many (!) years ago and that were said to be implemented never made it in, even bug fixing needs years etc.
Actually, my impression is that most bugs will only be fixed with the next major revision

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 12:26:25 pm »
Or being capable to draw dashed lines

Offline HwAoRrDk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 02:08:44 pm »
Oh, yes, many times I've wished I could draw dashed or dotted lines, particularly on schematics.

Fill patterns for shapes (e.g. cross-hatching) would be nice too.

But, can't blame them for focusing on features that make them money. I presume the PCB ordering gives them some kind of commission.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 02:45:23 pm »
I don't know, i bought a hobby (for me) and a regular (for the business) license so they did make money from me with the software.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 03:43:21 pm »
I'm happy with it so far, it was the only package I could just pick up and use with minimum fuss and a very flat learning curve.

Although the drawing tools are absolutely abysmal, so I use a separate CAD package for that and just import all my art and footprints...

There are a few niggles here and there, but it gets the job done for me.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 05:49:24 pm »
Nobody denies that DipTrace is a very good choice for the hobbyist. I'd still prefer it over Eagle or KiCAD without hesitation.
It's just that I'm using it since 2011, bought my original license 2.x in 2013, upgraded to 3.x in 2016 and now in 2019 it's not like it's a totally different tool than it was 8 (!) years ago. Actually the number of added features worth mentioning is rather small (3D preview, differential routing, some new import/export features). And again: some basic stuff that was missing then is still missing now which is somewhat frustrating.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 06:42:55 pm »
You pay your money, you take your choice.

PCB tools mostly are preferential, be it picked up as a hobbyist or introduced it via work, I wouldn't go back to DT just because I am used to other tools (Altium and KiCAD), if I were to go back to Eagle it'd have to be V7 before Autodesk messed it up, as the "new features" are really not worth (for me) the pure amount of crap they have injected into it since.

I would always recommend trying EAGLE, DipTrace and KiCAD to anyone though as despite what YOU think, others might get on better with a n other package.

Yes it is frustrating when simple things are missing like as the mentioned dashed/dotted line feature, but you have 2 choices, live with that limitation or use a different tool.  And just hope that it gets added in the future.

Say what you want about DT/EAGLE/KICAD the truth is they can all perform mostly the same functions as each other, it's just what you find easier to use and what you are willing to pay or not pay for.

I went with KiCad because of limitations in Eagle and DT, that KiCAD had at the time, yes they have since been implemented but that was my reason at the time to drop them, and when you spend a decent amount of time learning a new tool you kind of stick to it, I have EAGLE 7 installed for legacy, removed DT a long time ago, nobody in the hobbyist community I have seen uses it for OSHW projects, so I had no need for it.

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 09:31:11 pm »
Yes but unlike Kicad, Diptrace is and always been a “ professional “ paid piece of software. It has in my opinion been extremely slow at moving its offering along and this is aside from bugs that have remained in the package for years.

I still like it , I find it far more productive then kicad , eagle is now a mess and design spark has too many limitations

I just wish they’d hurry up and release some improvements
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:37:01 pm by MadScientist »
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 02:02:59 pm »
Yes, updates are slow for a professional paid piece of software.
But you have decided it is the right tool for you to use irrespective of what they have or haven't done.

And you would probably think the same of other tools, some seem to release many updates but you can't tell what they have done, and it's a bit annoying having to download large files for little benefit.

One reason I use free software like KiCAD is that if the updates are not what I want then I don't feel put out by having paid a fortune for updates etc, and it is a very capable tool so I don't feel like I am compromising by using free software.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 09:43:02 am »

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 12:29:07 am »
It's a bit unrelated to actual Diptrace..

Is there any particular reason why the 3d models can't be "installed" as zip/7zip/whatever packs, maybe grouped by manufacturer or category instead of having hundreds of files that are basically very verbose, text files? 

Reason is altogether the use a bit of disk space, they unpack in around 8-10 GB... just by enabling NTFS compression on the folder the size shrinks to half, so the content is very compressible.

zip or 7zip archives can be easily parsed to retrieve the file listing ( and extracting files from 7zip is as fast as zip as long as solid mode compression is unchecked) , and the 3d viewer could easily extract (and cache in ram if needed) only the models used by the active project.

Also... really need to work a bit on your installer for the models.

I have a 120 GB SSD as boot drive that was kinda full... installer crashed without error messages (gets stuck and clicking next doesn't do anything) I had only 5 GB free space on the boot drive, and the installer defaults to boot drive to unpack itself.
Don't see why the 1.5 GB has to be unpacked to 8-10 GB in a temporary folder, only to have it copy files to destination folder later.

Let's say I had DipTrace installed on my SSD drive with only 5 GB of free space... I could start the setup, select install folder and enable NTFS compression on that folder, and as the installer copies files, they're real time compressed ... so those 8-10 GB would normally fit in those 5 GB of free disk space.
However, because the installer insists on unpacking itself first, it crashed without any significant error message if there's not enough free disk space.

// yeah, just double checked... the files are unpacked by installer in c:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Temp\[SETUP_?RANDOMNUMBER?]\  at least on Windows 7  ... 11325 files, 8.68 GB

Maybe try InnoSetup instead of qSetup...

ps. even storing the files as .gz files would be tolerable  ex file.step.gz ... zlib is free and super easy to use.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:47:07 am by mariush »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf