Author Topic: Does Diptrace do this?  (Read 10051 times)

Offline mattkrassTopic starter

Does Diptrace do this?
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:13:37 am »
I'm an Eagle user, getting steadily more frustrated with it and considering DipTrace, I'm on the fence. One feature that I would really like (and would probably push me over the fence) would be the ability to rearrange pins on a symbol per instance/schematic. This way I could arrange the pins on a microcontroller or DSP as needed to make me schematics neater. We use this technique a lot at my place of work with PCAD 2004, and I think it would be immensely helpful to have that kind of ability in my personal capture tool.

So, does DipTrace do that?

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Does Diptrace do this?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:35:24 am »
You want to edit the schematic symbol of a uC only in one schematic and for another one you want to have a standard symbol?

Offline cybergibbons

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:08:02 am »
For big ICs, it can make the schematic a lot cleaner if you have free choice over the pin layout.

Online 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:39:01 pm »
I think Matt wants to move the pins around in a package like in Altium (untick lock pins check box).
But, I don't think it can be done in Diptrace.
This is one of few features still lacking in Diptrace at the moment.

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:28:04 pm »
A way to do this is to make different parts with different pin arrangements.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 02:33:34 pm »
A way to do this is to make different parts with different pin arrangements.
or maybe another way is just to create a blank pins part, wire to any pins first and then create the specific part later, but... that may look really unprofessional :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline mattkrassTopic starter

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 02:46:41 pm »
I think Matt wants to move the pins around in a package like in Altium (untick lock pins check box).
But, I don't think it can be done in Diptrace.
This is one of few features still lacking in Diptrace at the moment.

That's precisely what I was looking for, shame it doesn't have it (yet hopefully) but it looks like a pretty good package anyway, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Matt

Offline mstevens

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 02:55:27 pm »
I'm an Eagle user, getting steadily more frustrated with it and considering DipTrace, I'm on the fence. One feature that I would really like (and would probably push me over the fence) would be the ability to rearrange pins on a symbol per instance/schematic.

This can be done quite easily with Autotrax Design Express (DEX) from www.kov.com.  Sorry this is not a direct answer to your question; and I am not affiliated with www.kov.com in any way other than owning a license.

Melvin

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:42:39 pm »
You can go to their forum and post a feature request. They have a lot of them. Hopefully the next release will clear the list! :D

Online 48X24X48X

• Frequent Contributor
    • Rocket Scream
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:25 am »
You can go to their forum and post a feature request. They have a lot of them. Hopefully the next release will clear the list! :D

That is what I like about Diptrace. They listen to the users.

My Diptrace feature wishlist:
  • Tear drop
  • Multi-pattern single component library
  • Editable component pin location in schematic (like what Matt is asking for)
  • 3D export

Offline shebu18

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 06:46:27 am »
Hopedully they will do it.
My wishes are teardrop and 3d stl export.

Offline ChrisKiwi

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:16:11 am »

[/quote]

This can be done quite easily with Autotrax Design Express (DEX) from www.kov.com.  Sorry this is not a direct answer to your question; and I am not affiliated with www.kov.com in any way other than owning a license.

Melvin
[/quote]

Any idea where this company is based? - I couldn't find a physical address on their website

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 02:23:20 pm »
I'm an Eagle user, getting steadily more frustrated with it and considering DipTrace, I'm on the fence. One feature that I would really like (and would probably push me over the fence) would be the ability to rearrange pins on a symbol per instance/schematic.
Melvin
thanks. the silent video looks good. downloaded and installed. try to run, "you need to install NET4", which in turn will ask me to install SP3, which in turn will (risk) crash my other softwares. why the hell do we need to have NET in our OS for drawing pcb? no thanks, i will stick to what i have, i'm getting older :P
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf