Author Topic: Problem Merging Layers  (Read 4650 times)

Offline DavidGoncalvTopic starter

• Contributor
Problem Merging Layers
« on: November 29, 2013, 08:12:50 pm »
Hello - I'm new to this tool, and have jumped right in with a little design I need for a project - a Ethernet-connected motion sensor.

I am at the point where I am making some of the parts I am using, and have been working in the component and pattern editors. I am using existing parts as a pattern for me, and this is when I found my first question...

When I take an existing part - say a ST microcontroller - I see the design is done in two layers, one for the pins and the other for the outline. However, when I add new pins or other details, they are generated on new layers, and it makes handling them a bit more difficult. I try and select and merge them, and nothing happens.

Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
Re: Problem Merging Layers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 08:19:06 pm »
Along the bottom of the window there's tabs showing which layer you're currently drawing on - have you selected the correct one?

Edit: So sorry, I thought we were talking Altium  :-[
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:40:29 pm by 8086 »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 08:36:32 pm »
In the pattern editor I'm working in now - there is no tab along the bottom. In the component editor, there are tabs labeled 'Part', of which I was working in the only one with something in them.

Here's an example:

Offline akis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 09:15:33 pm »
Left click and hold down the mouse on the top layer on the right hand side. Pull the cursor down so as to select all layers. From the menu select "merge layers" and they all become one.

I do not know of a practical use of having multiple layers except to allow you to edit the pattern easier in the future.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:29:18 pm »
Aha that did it! I was selecting by doubleclicking the layers I wanted to merge (the items highlight orange) and selecting merge layers. Good deal guys - thanks again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf