Products > Dodgy Technology

$1199 cripple locked down router demanding app & Linksys CLOUD account to use it

<< < (5/6) > >>

MrMobodies:
Just found that they allow the user to downgrade on certain routers.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=138220

--- Quote ---Rolling back the Linksys Smart :bullshit: Wi-Fi Router Firmware to the Classic web interface

We are sorry to see you downgrading to our Classic software :-+ (non- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi) on your Linksys Smart :bullshit: Wi-Fi Router.  Your Linksys Smart :bullshit: Wi-Fi Router with Linksys cloud :bullshit: account software provides you a new way to experience :bullshit: your connected home and a growing ecosystem of apps. :bullshit: By downgrading your firmware, *you are not able to take full advantage of your new Linksys Smart :bullshit: Wi-Fi Router.  For more information about Linksys Smart Wi-Fi please see our FAQs by clicking here.
--- End quote ---

Buzzword Bullshit: Ecosystem, apps, smart, smart wifi, cloud, new, "cloud account", experience, "connected home", "growing ecosystem"

*At least they get their local built in web server back and are "able" to login and and configure it offline like it was when they brought the router.

I am a home user and reading that made me angry with all those trendy, pretty, ambiguous sounding buzzwords "smart", "cloud" and a new one,"app ecosystem".  They think the "home user" is going to care about "apps installed in their router" than anything else and also spying on the user with this "cloud" firmware now isn't that taking advantage out of the user? They seem to care more about these "ecosystem of apps" than the ability to configure the router offline. I question if there is no internet how are they suppose to configure the router. I assume maybe if this "app" was install on their phone it might something locally but if there was no phone.

I wonder why are they sorry? That they can't collect statistics about the user with the classic firmware.

Ranayna:
Great... Downgrading the Firmware of your internet router...
The one device that will always be susceptible to outside attack, that is the first, and in most SOHO settings your only, defense... Welcome to the next botnet :D

Just do not buy that crap.

madires:
It's hard for a consumer to find a good router. The marketing departments sell you a cheap, crappy, insecure and home phoning plastic box as professional, high performance, super secure and cloud-whatever SOHO router. If you aren't a network pundit you're lost between piles of junk.

nfmax:

--- Quote from: madires on July 01, 2022, 02:26:31 pm ---It's hard for a consumer to find a good router. The marketing departments sell you a cheap, crappy, insecure and home phoning plastic box as professional, high performance, super secure and cloud-whatever SOHO router. If you aren't a network pundit you're lost between piles of junk.

--- End quote ---

This is not a pile of junk:

https://www.firebrick.co.uk/fb2900/

It's built in a metal box. Five years guarantee. Free software updates for the life of the product - automatically if you so choose. OTOH it's a router and firewall appliance, not a wireless access point. And it costs more than people are usually willing to pay, though less than the thread topic product.

madires:
Lancom is in the same league and they also have models with WiFi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version