Author Topic: 10 second recharge of cold NiMH batteries  (Read 7399 times)

Offline CirclotronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
10 second recharge of cold NiMH batteries
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:41:01 am »
This guy tells us that if you put your old NiMH batteries in the refrigerator for a short while they can then be recharged in something like 10 seconds in a *normal* charger and yet still give full capacity...  :bullshit:

https://youtu.be/f2JJH8EM9AI

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: 10 second recharge of cold NiMH batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:10:18 am »
Wow  :bullshit: is mild for how wrong this is. A reduction in Temperature lowers battery resistance and is like a super conductor and Liquid Nitrogen ....

Currently the highest temperature super conductor is -70C under very particular circumstances. Domestic even deep freezer hit -30C at best so  :bullshit:

Lowers the 'activation energy' in 30 years of charging batteries  :wtf: Chart shown seems to talk about photon energy and Gate voltage on one axis  :bullshit:

Internal resistance of NiMh batteries goes way up at colder temperatures which is partly why we charged at 5A+ to get them warm prior to use under heavy loads. Below zero I nearly splattered $2k of plane due to low battery under load in the early days of their use. We learned the hard way.

Condensation in a Freezer by definition is an Oxy Moron water is way below the point of being a solid. Doesn't mean you won't get condensation as they warm again but the reverse is BS any water on the battery will freeze in or out of a bag.  :bullshit:

Wow after 10 seconds they have a higher surface charge than before it for just how long and how much capacity went in. 2000mAh in 10 seconds is only about 700A. This is a truck load of :bullshit:

The thing I want to know is how this Muppet scammed 2 Million subs  :palm:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:17:34 am »
This guy tells us that if you put your old NiMH batteries in the refrigerator for a short while they can then be recharged in something like 10 seconds in a *normal* charger and yet still give full capacity...  :bullshit:

BS indeed. Chemical reactions slow down in cold. You shall NEVER charge cold batteries. Speaking of cold - if you know that batteries will become frozen, better use AA alkaline (or Li-SoCl2 + sleeve) rather than NiMH.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:33:11 am by ogden »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:55:23 am »
Just musing, please critique and correct if wrong but my thought process is making me wonder...

Low temperature reduces battery/cell capacity

Result, you chill or freeze a battery and a smart charger will be able to fully charge the lower capacity *much* faster?

(Or it's just another bullshit clickbait video with some dubious trickery happening)

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 11:27:33 am »
[EDIT: This post was badly constructed by me. It is partly better explained in later posts I make.]
[Feel free to dislike the way that youtuber does videos.]

No No.

I think you are (all) misunderstanding.

He is one of the GOOD guys!

He has kindly made a lot of "Public Education Videos", in an attempt to train up the general pblic, to NOT be fooled by crazy scam videos, with ridiculous claims.

He also, sometimes tries to make them funny.

https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/ThioJoe

I can't find the original source. So from memory (he explained what and why he does this, in one of his videos, I saw years ago, can't remember which one) ...
He explains, that he got fed up with all the scammers, selling "double your internet speed" devices/techniques, etc. Hence, he use to make these videos, to try and get people to learn that ridiculous claims, are FALSE. By making these SILLY videos.

Hence he use to make videos like this one:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:16:02 pm by MK14 »

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:45:32 am »
Result, you chill or freeze a battery and a smart charger will be able to fully charge the lower capacity *much* faster?

Far from "fully charge", rather 1/10 - charge. By freezing you "shrink" your battery capacity *and* it's ability to take charge. You just fool yourself and charger.

He is one of the GOOD guys!

Maybe he is, yet his "battery freezing video" is dumbest battery advise EVER.

[edit] Oh, ok. I see. It's prank.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:17:11 pm by ogden »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 11:51:55 am »
Clickbait BS with hidden or NO disclaimer that it is intentional BS. The BS level on youtube is already high enough without this.

Not so much Ironic as Moronic and potentially dangerous to mislead people and their place their equipment at risk for a joke.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 11:52:00 am »
Just in case anyone doubts what I say.
Here is one of his explanation videos, on why he does these Prank/Funny videos. It is related to another of his prank videos.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 11:56:05 am »
And among his back catalogue of videos chances of that one popping up first in your feed ZERO.

Here is the disclaimer btw https://www.youtube.com/user/ThioJoe/about

Personally he should go back and amend his descriptions or change their category to humor.

The following users thanked this post: ogden

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 12:01:11 pm »
I think my original post in this thread, is a bit misleading.

What I should have said is, you are fine to have your own opinion, on if this is the right or wrong/unsafe way of doing things, etc.

I am just trying to point out, that he is at least claiming, that he is doing it for "good" reasons, to educate people.

If in practice his videos are a good idea or not, is another matter, entirely.

tl;dr
They are intentionally PRANK (funny) videos.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:03:35 pm by MK14 »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 12:06:24 pm »
Personally he should go back and amend his descriptions or change their category to humor.

That is intentional.
He is trying to get some of the people, who unfortunately get taken in (believe) such videos. In the hope that they will learn from the experience and NOT fall for such videos/scams in the future.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 12:14:53 pm »
I had a bit of a look back at some of his video titles some would certainly have the potential in the wrong hands to screw up computers for a start and I can't be bothered watching any quantity of them.

Sorry but that's not funny.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 12:18:44 pm »
I had a bit of a look back at some of his video titles some would certainly have the potential in the wrong hands to screw up computers for a start and I can't be bothered watching any quantity of them.

Sorry but that's not funny.

I to quite an extent agree with you.
His way of doing videos, I agree, is very controversial, and many won't agree with it.

But, I think he means well. He is trying to educate people, who get easily fooled by some of these crazy/scam videos on youtube. They are also meant to be funny.

EDIT: It is a balancing act. He is trying to especially reach out to audience members, who genuinely believe that "You can turn an old PS3 into a Xbox One, for free, in only 2 minutes", and stuff like that.
He believes this is one way of reaching out to such people and hopefully re-educating them (mending their ways).

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 12:32:42 pm by MK14 »

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 02:29:24 pm »
Thio Joe doesn't do the fake tutorials anymore.
The last one he did was "Quadruple your internet speed for free" over 2 years ago.
It is a serious tech channel now.

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 03:02:36 pm »
I can't stand the narcissism of these young YouTube hacks who put pictures of themselves in the thumbnail. Utter narcissistic trash.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 03:17:00 pm »
I can't stand the narcissism of these young YouTube hacks who put pictures of themselves in the thumbnail. Utter narcissistic trash.
They don't do it becasue they're narcissistic, they do it becasue youtube makes them do it (yes, it sucks - you could say youtube pushes people to become narcissistic?)
I follow a few channels who aren't that way at all but have had to start doing it and made videos explaining that was because youtube algorithms now shoot your content down the "forgotten" pile if there's no face in the thumbnail.

Aka there's a very noticeable ranking improvement for videos with faces in thumbnails, so now everybody "has to" do it if they want correct exposure.

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 04:09:33 pm »
They don't do it becasue they're narcissistic, they do it becasue youtube makes them do it (yes, it sucks - you could say youtube pushes people to become narcissistic?)
I follow a few channels who aren't that way at all but have had to start doing it and made videos explaining that was because youtube algorithms now shoot your content down the "forgotten" pile if there's no face in the thumbnail.

Aka there's a very noticeable ranking improvement for videos with faces in thumbnails, so now everybody "has to" do it if they want correct exposure.
Shameful. YouTube enforcing clickbait. The platform jumped the shark.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 05:03:51 pm »
Nothing new.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 05:30:32 pm »
Just musing, please critique and correct if wrong but my thought process is making me wonder...

Low temperature reduces battery/cell capacity

(Or it's just another bullshit clickbait video with some dubious trickery happening)

As thoroughly discussed in this thread, this is a bullshit video.

However, to your question:

Temperature has very little effect on battery capacity. The capacity is primarily determined by the quantity of materials in the battery (for higher capacity, batteries get bigger).

What temperature does affect is the rate of charge or discharge of a battery. Warmer batteries work better than colder batteries. With NiMH in particular, cold is bad. If you try to fast charge a cold NiMH battery it will tend not to accept the charging current, it will have a tendency to generate gas internally, and may be damaged.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 06:07:23 pm »
Temperature has very little effect on battery capacity.

I would not consider 50% capacity loss at -20oC as "little effect" (consumer grade NIMH AA). Usually NIMH are not even specified for operating temperatures below 0oC, that's why number is not widely known.

What temperature does affect is the rate of charge or discharge of a battery.

Right. Max 0.3C discharge rate and no charge at freezing temperatures. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 07:26:41 pm »
He's just being nitpicky and suggesting it's not a "loss of capacity", it's a "rise in internal resistance that doesn't allow you to leverage said capacity until warmed up again".

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 07:48:50 pm »

Why would you talk about Dave like that?

:D

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 07:58:06 pm »

Ha-ha. Nice trap. Dave specifically excluded. I wanted to word what I said originally in a manner that excluded EEVBlog implicitly. Dave's doing what he needs to probably for the algorithm. The youngsters flexing for the thumbnail are the kind of folks who admire themselves in the mirror and take selfies constantly.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:04:44 pm by Wan Huang Luo »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 09:15:39 pm »

Ha-ha. Nice trap. Dave specifically excluded. I wanted to word what I said originally in a manner that excluded EEVBlog implicitly. Dave's doing what he needs to probably for the algorithm. The youngsters flexing for the thumbnail are the kind of folks who admire themselves in the mirror and take selfies constantly.

I know what you meant. I was just taking the piss.  ;D

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 09:34:58 pm »
Temperature has very little effect on battery capacity.

I would not consider 50% capacity loss at -20oC as "little effect" (consumer grade NIMH AA). Usually NIMH are not even specified for operating temperatures below 0oC, that's why number is not widely known.

Here's an experiment for you:

Fully charge a consumer grade NiMH at room temperature. Now place it in a freezer and freeze it down to -20°C for a while. After that, bring it back up to room temperature and discharge it. What do you think will be the remaining charge in the battery as measured by the discharge? Will it be 50% less than nominal, or will it be more or less the expected full charge?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf