Products > Dodgy Technology

2018 Macbook Pro terrible thermal design

(1/19) > >>

NiHaoMike:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/8zv74u/you_cant_make_this_shit_up_the_core_i9_macbook/
The latest i9 ends up slower than an i7. While Apple is well known for "pay more, get less", this time they make a higher end version of a product perform worse!
Based on a teardown video I looked at, the aluminum bottom doesn't seem to have a thermal pad to help cool the CPU. Maybe it's time for someone to try adding some and repeating the tests...

Fsck:
My i7 in an XPS15 thermally throttles, basic engineering says an i9 in a thinner space will definitely throttle.
Hell, the short term turbo for my laptop is 78W.

bitseeker:
Even the power bricks for Macbook Pros and iPads run ridiculously hot. Maybe it's a feature. :-DD

From time to time I feel like disassembling my Apple power supplies and putting them in properly ventilated enclosures.

Mr. Scram:
They did this way back with their iMacs. Those came with shiny i7s, but could do only about 30 seconds worth of full load before being throttled. They did sell you the i7 you asked for, but the usefulness has to be questioned.

NiHaoMike:
I also remember the "trash can" Mac Pro being criticized for bad thermal design, something Apple was bragging about!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version