Poll

3DFS's VectorQ Digital Electricity Technology ?

Very useful power efficiency control products.
2 (3%)
Software Defined Electricity is the future!
1 (1.5%)
Nothing new, all been done before.
4 (6.1%)
Not sure / don't know.
5 (7.6%)
Probably mostly just snake oil / scam.
54 (81.8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: 3DFS's VectorQ Digital Electricity Technology ?  (Read 45066 times)

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 3DFS's VectorQ Digital Electricity Technology ?
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 06:28:52 pm »
It looks like the current sensors and voltage sensors are mixed up between lines? And all of the current clamps are put on backwards?

L1: U(Gray), I(-Red)
L2: U(Red), I(-Blue)
L3: U(Blue), I(-Gray)

Because of this, the total powers are wrong (for the uncorrected case on the left). There must be a significant amount of energy storage, probably nearly 1 power-line-cycle of the max power? Maybe around 10 mF of capacitance at 120VDC. However, it has to be able to take up the current very quickly during the peaks. The control loop can't know the future, so perhaps it is correcting the current draw to be balanced based on the power which had been drawn the previous cycle? If all goes wrong (runs out of energy, demand wasn't what was expected, etc), then it can just give up at a zero-crossing and reset its state machine.

This could go very wrong when equipment draws energy every other power line cycle. Don't some triac-based heaters do that? The other strategy would be to just have a couple power line cycles of energy, so that it could average it out over a few cycles, but there should always be some pathological case where the correction fails.

EDIT/POSTSCRIPT: While I believe that this overall technology is reasonable (excluding some bad descriptions of it) and good for some niche applications, it's likely much better to just balance your loads and migrate to power equipment which has less harmonics (replace VFDs, etc, with newer models). However, I've never worked in an industrial setting, so I don't know how the economics balance out.

It is funny to us because here we provide more data and analytics that they could ever receive from their equipment, but still they are not convinced until they see it with their own eyes on their own instruments.
I wonder why the voltage and current are so out of phase.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 06:33:47 pm by pigrew »

Offline StillTryingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 12:36:26 pm »
It looks like the current sensors and voltage sensors are mixed up between lines? And all of the current clamps are put on backwards?

Yes that will be it, as usual 3DFS haven't a clue.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2019, 01:41:49 pm »
It could be simply the phase difference between voltage and current. What those graphs also show is that the load optimization increases the phase shifting. This is to be expected since the blue box needs time for measurements, calculation and power correction. And the capacitance and inductance of mains wiring and loads don't make the job easier. So any power correction will have a delayed impact. This also means the box doesn't provide much benefit for data centers. To increase power efficiency and to reduce bills for power a HV DC power distribution (incl. HV DC PSUs for servers and network elements) would make more sense.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 07:34:32 pm »
Err, the whole point of a box doing power factor correction is to REDUCE the phase angle between the voltage and the current!

This is just a measurement screwup with placing the current clamps.

The real value in these sort of fairly small AHF boxes (But I like mine with actual data and salted with less gibberish) is when you are doing something like changing the use of an existing building and find you have neutral overload issues for example because of that whole floor of cheap ass PCs your accounts department put in. 

Much cheaper to knock off 40A or so of triplen with an AHF box then it is to pull bigger wire 8 floors up thru trunking that is too small!

Band aid, maybe, but it gets your site signed off.

I had an issue in a theatre (LOADS of phase angle dimming that changes moment by moment), the choices were an AHC box (Quite a big one at that) or a 315kVA K rated delta-star transformer that we had no space for.....

The (Real) AHC tech has a valid use case, it is the frantic fluffing by the marketing guy that is cracking me up.

Regards, Dan.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, Geoff_S

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 10:02:05 pm »
Err, the whole point of a box doing power factor correction is to REDUCE the phase angle between the voltage and the current!
But only to the requirement of the utility company of course... that requires a proof and a reason. The thing is that the power that is installed and paid for today includes all costs needed to run the system - with all its inefficiencies and a good amount of safety margin.
They do not make up a problem and sell you the solution. Apparent power and real power are one thing, sinusoidal current is another. And then there is wear and tear, but i don´t get how the shape in which the heat or vibration is produced would make that much of a difference or if it is the main cause for failures in the first place. Maybe there is no point in mitigating effects that do not preempt the first failure that typically occurs.

Then there is this: Why should a customer try to solve a problem that the utility does not recognize as such if the goal is to protect the grid and transformer and acutally prolongs its life. Wouldn´t that be in the interest of the utility and therefore fixed there? Utilities have plenty of data, plenty of customers and can see which loads cause which failures.

Maybe in fringe cases with island grids that operate too close to physical limits this plays a role, but there the supplier and load are usually under the same control and could be solved on the side of the load anyway. But you are usually not in a good situation when intentionally operating too close to physical limits, it is called bad design.

find you have neutral overload issues for example because of that whole floor of cheap ass PCs your accounts department put in.
Which could be solved/mitigated in the first place by rearranging loads between phases. Cheapest way possible, just change clamps. But this technology is not about phase split, it is about a one-sided redefinition of what Power Quality Rating means.

Btw. there are some data protocols on the grid... like switching on street lights, nightly rate for electrical heaters. You do not want to compensate those.
Support your local planet.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2019, 06:14:16 am »
Moving loads between phases does not help if the neutral current is mostly third harmonic however, because third harmonic sums in the neutral rather then cancelling.

This is what had me on that theatre install, full load at 30% on the dimmers and the RMS neutral current wound up to nearly 200% of the phase current.

Agreed, that you only fix as much as is economical, but in this case AHF was MUCH more cost effective then burning the triplen as heat in a delta-star transformer, mostly because we did not have a good location for the transformer.

The other interesting application is in sites where you have significant voltage harmonics AND static power factor correction cap banks (Which REALLY don't like voltage harmonics because they push up the current in the cap bank by a lot). AHC setup to reduce the voltage harmonics only can allow a significantly smaller current rating on the passive cap bank. Usually an issue out on the end of a long feed line where the supply impedance is not as low as it could be.

Now both are slightly niche applications, and there are usually cheaper ways to skin this, but the AHF tools have a place. 

Agreed that the marketing drivel is unusually severe with this one.

Regards, Dan.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2019, 10:38:17 pm »
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:52:49 am by StillTrying »

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2019, 09:41:42 am »
However, the phase current imbalance has nothing in common with the frequency.  ;)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2019, 12:23:06 pm »
3DFS think their load current balancing S/W has something to do with controlling the frequency of the grid. :-DD
https://twitter.com/doerfler/status/1133015758282342402

It has everything to do with it. Controlling the frequency using rotating machines is the the only way when the power is not controlled and balanced in real time.

To correct the unbalanced currents, 3DFS's magic software has to follow the phase and frequency of the grid - whatever it is, so the amount of control that 3DFS's magic software has on the frequency is less than zero. :D

Edit!  How would it even know if the 60Hz's phase should be moved slightly a head or behind what it currently is.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 04:25:19 pm by StillTrying »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2019, 12:48:08 pm »
Controlling the frequency using rotating machines is the the only way when the power is not controlled and balanced in real time.
To correct the unbalanced currents, 3DFS's magic software has to follow the phase and frequency of the grid - whatever it is, so the amount of control that 3DFS's magic software has on the frequency is less than zero. :D

I don't think cdoerfler is claiming that 3DFS can actively control the frequency of the grid. Rather, he seems to state that 3DFS can avoid load fluctuations, to which the grid would otherwise need to respond by varying the frequency.

However, it is unclear to me whether that second claim is correct. Assuming that the 3DFS technology can only compensate for load imbalances between phases, how would that change the overall load the grid sees?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2019, 01:27:37 pm »
Frequency control is irrelevant when precision phase control is possible, which is what SDE delivers. Frequency for SDE can be software defined.

You've lost me there (again), I'm afraid.
"Software defined" grid frequency ?? ???

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 02:06:28 pm »
The grid frequency is controlled by the (im-)balance of the power fed into the grid and the power consumed by loads.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2019, 03:26:50 pm »
Frequency control is irrelevant when precision phase control is possible, which is what SDE delivers. Frequency for SDE can be software defined.

You've lost me there (again), I'm afraid.
"Software defined" grid frequency ?? ???

frequency response using batteries is 1. not real time and 2. limited by the energy within the battery.
FR using 3DFS tech is Real-Time, every microsecond, and unlimited because it is using the power from the grid to correct the power.
SDE has full phase control. Reactive power correction in 180 degrees. This is a much more important feature.

Bonkers!

"It cannot correct the entire grids frequency,"

But it can correct just part of the grid's frequency?  :-//  Or different parts of the grid will have a different frequency? :)

"but when fully distributed throughout the grid,"

Don't worry, it won't be!

"frequency response will no longer be needed."

I'm amazed (but not much!) that you think the changing phase and frequency of the grid is a fault. You seem to think large rotating machinery being unstable and having inertia is the problem, compared with electronics (24-bit over-sampled, sub-cycle, and in real time of course!).
It would be very easy to use atomic clocks to keep a rotating machine's frequency and phase exact for ever if we wanted, perhaps you could suggest the idea to the big electricky suppliers as yet another SDE innovation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 03:54:20 pm by StillTrying »

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2019, 09:49:38 am »
EMP Detection: Software-Defined Electricity operates on the principle of oversampling inputs to extract maximum information on the power flow to deliver the most possible time to react to any electrical event. EMP travels in waves. In oceans preceding a tsunami, shore water recedes significantly back before the inrush. A similar phenomenon is true with EMP in power networks. Time is the most precious resource related to EMP damage mitigation. The sooner it is detected, the more time there is to react.
3dfs.com/news/3dfs-selected-as-finalist-for-nato-innovation-challenge/05/2019

Edit. Is there any evidence that the bold bit even exits for EMP, I've not been able to find any, yet.

Pretty neat, huh? It is always nice to teach somebody something that they did not know. You will carry that information forever.  :-+

"On 30 May 2019 the 7 finalists of the NATO innovation Challenge pitched their solutions to a jury composed of experts and authorities from the Czech Ministry of Defence, NATO Transformation Command, NATO Science and Technology Organization, Old Dominion University and the Czech Academy of Science...
The US based company Electronics Service won the Challenge,"

It seems you didn't manage to convince those experts of the EMP tsunami effect either!

https://innovationhub-act.org/content/innovation-challenge-winner

FR using 3DFS tech is Real-Time every microsecond, and unlimited because it is using the power from the grid to correct the power.

I remember thinking about that at the time. A generator changes the phase/frequency by adding or removing energy/fuel, it's impossible to use a 3ph supply's own energy to change its frequency. :horse:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2019, 04:13:05 pm »
Alas for the EMP challenge we were unsuccessful. You are correct. They decided on the incredible innovation of shielding.  :palm:  Some people cannot see the elegance of this solution.

The problem is your EMP tsunami effect doesn't exist!

"Re: phase frequency, again you are incorrect. The device is temporarily storing the energy in the FESS which is then a separate source for instant injection. It is also where any extraction is temporarily stored. By temporarily storing the extracted energy and then using it when an injection is required, the device does not have to consume any "new power" from the grid/generator for the injections."

It's impossible for the phase/frequency in the wires to suddenly change as it passes the VectorQ2.

"This is part of what allows the device to be 98% efficient."

Your efficiencies hardly ever make any sense. If the VectorQ2 is doing many kWs of current correction it's efficiency should be well over 100%, if there's almost no current correcting to be done it's efficiency is less than zero, 98% doesn't come into it.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2019, 04:28:49 pm »
Your efficiencies hardly ever make any sense. If the VectorQ2 is doing many kWs of current correction it's efficiency should be well over 100%, if there's almost no current correcting to be done it's efficiency is less than zero, 98% doesn't come into it.

Agree. If the time-averaged efficiency is less than 100%, you would be better off not installing that thing, right?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2019, 04:53:47 pm »
Agree. If the time-averaged efficiency is less than 100%, you would be better off not installing that thing, right?

Yes, :) it's only for high current, bad PF, unbalanced load, and charged for it, customers really, but they claimed to be developing one for the home. LOL.
In the video above somewhere, PQ somehow gets mixed with power used, charged for, and overall electrical efficiency, perhaps what's happening at the supplier's transformer is some of the 26 parameters. :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2019, 09:26:13 pm »
It's difficult the know where to start here, but I'll have a go. >:D

This is mixing topics, the two must be separated; frequency regulation and phase angle control.

:wtf:

"The Vector is making minute, in situ corrections with tiny amounts of current."

It will be making (very roughly) around 20mA sized adjustments to about 3 Amps of current. 20mA is a tiny amount of current to a 3 ph supply, and nothing to do with micro Amps, the control signals will be higher than micro Amps. :)

"It does not require massive amounts of current because it is maintaining the synchronization."

It requires the larger current corrections approx. every 1/4 mains cycle, there's no such thing as "massive current now no longer required because it's maintaining the synchronization".

"Its like steering while driving, there are small corrections as you drive, not massive back and forth over steering (which would be the case using cap banks)."

No, It's more like peddling up a quite steep hill, you can't just stop peddling once you've got the bike moving up the hill.

"It is true that if the power is perfect coming in the facility,"

You probably mean, if the load(s) are already drawing their current in phase and balanced, which is a quite bit different.

"The calculation of efficiency is key here."

ROTFL

"We are using 70-120W of power at all times to correct (bring to full synchonization and balance) of 60kW at all times."

The 70-120W is just for the magic computing, the power control devices will use and dissipate more, especially if they're switching Amps at MHz frequencies. :)

"Don't forget surge protection,"

I haven't! It doesn't do very much in the way of surge protection, the wires are much to thin!

"asset performance improvement"

LOL  How do the assets even know if the current in the supplier's transformer is balanced or not.

"The residential version is a trickier business case. Outside of high consumers of power or special cases like audiophiles,"

Yeah, there's nothing there, even for audiophools.

"If a home has solar and an EV, the case becomes very clear though as it improves the output of the solar and charging times and rates of the ev charger"

You've mentioned the correction of the output power of solar and generators, for these devices does the VectorQ2 have to be connected backwards, think about it!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:29:36 pm by StillTrying »

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2019, 10:26:02 am »
The calculation of efficiency is key here. We are using 70-120W of power at all times to correct (bring to full synchonization and balance) of 60kW at all times.

When I load one phase with 60kW then the blue box would have to take 40kW from the other two phases for balancing. Let's do a very simplified calculation. The current would be about 350A (40kW/115V) and a super nice MOSFET with an R_DS_on of 2mOhms would drop about 0.7V (350A * 0.002Ohms). So the MOSFET burns roughly 250W (350A * 0.7V). Surely there are more components the current has to pass through.

Online madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2019, 02:21:10 pm »
That is ridiculous, as I am sure you understand. You lack knowledge of our methods, perhaps it is best to stick to the results.

No! When I load L1 with 60kW (L1 to N), how does the blue box balance the 60kW across all three phases in a way the grid's three phases are loaded equally with 20kW each?

BTW, if the blue box has an efficiency of 98% and is able to deal with 60kW the inefficiency is 1200W.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:26:24 pm by madires »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2019, 02:55:20 pm »
You lack knowledge of our methods,

Around 50% of your claims are electrically or physically impossible or just nonsense. Most of them are nothing to do with your methods or our understanding of your methods, they're just laws of the universe. It's a very target rich environment. :)

When you're trying to show which direction the power or current is flowing in wires on a diagram it would help if N and G weren't connected at one of the loads.

The 70-120W INCLUDES the power electronics

A 1cm x 1cm CPU can dissipate 150W with a small heat sink and small fan, no one would have to use water cooling, oil cooling and 2 big fans to dissipate 70-120W.
Why don't you say that is uses only 120W while correcting 60kW worth of power. That would make it's efficiency 120/60,000 = 99.998 %. :palm:  99.8 % which is even better!

and the correction is bidirectional.

The current correction is not bidirectional, which is why the current transformer has to go on the supply side of the current correcting connection. Another simpler reason is that it's impossible.

The most illustrative example here is a motor. When the current and voltage are not aligned, a 4 pole motor alternates between motor and generator at each pole. This is the most significant source of motor destruction in the power network.

When the currents and voltages are aligned in the suppliers transformer, the currents and voltages in the motor will still be misaligned, the only way for the currents and voltages to be aligned in a motor is for it to not be a motor.
Your claims that you somehow correct the phase of the current inside motors and make them better is among the most ridiculous, I'm surprised you continue with them. There's at least one other thread on it somewhere.

When there are multiple motors in the same panel, they interact with each other in this harmful way resulting in wear and tear that shortens the life of the motors by years.

That's not all bad, just some.

When SDE is installed in a motor control center for example, all the motors operate at the rated rpm whether loaded or not and since the C&V are always aligned, the motors never experience the fluctuation from generator to motor.

Not true, and Bonkers!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:48:46 pm by StillTrying »

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2019, 04:24:49 pm »
I am just wandering, why isn't this thread already locked, trashed, and troll blocked?

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2019, 03:13:56 am »
I am just wandering, why isn't this thread already locked, trashed, and troll blocked?
Although controversial, this thread is entertaining and somewhat educational (if an interested person wants to take the time to look up the claims and arguments presented).  There aren’t very many posts on this forum related to mains and grid AC power.  Power engineering should be near and dear to most electronics enthusiasts because it is the probably the most often used power source for most of us. Plus, it hasn’t really crossed the lines of unacceptability to the point of banning.
It is the batterizer for mains power; note the number of posts this forum had for the batterizer.  Similar to the batterizer there are very loose connections to reality that might look good drawn on the back of a napkin after a couple of pints at the local pub.  :-DD
It is also entertaining to observe someone digging themselves into a hole and wondering how deep they get before it all collapses.  The anticipation of if or when a real working model is available helps keep interest even if the odds approach zero of getting real verifiable data from the purveyors of this theoretical device.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Kean, newbrain

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2019, 05:10:32 am »
Of course there's a market in the audiophool trade. It's the next best thing since a copper rod in a box of rocks. :-DD

"Complete surge protection" when the wires are thin and it's supposedly going to sink the surge current through it's own supply breakers. If you try to sink current beyond a certain point it would, by the laws of physics, trip it's own breakers. :palm: We've been throught this...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" -Adam Savage

« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:13:28 am by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2019, 01:42:45 pm »
The VectorQ is provides complete surge protection. The fans do not turn on unless a surge comes through.

Its current correcting wires are too thin and inductive for it to do much in the way of surge protection, never mind complete surge protection.

The current correction is not bidirectional, which is why the current transformer has to go on the supply side of the current correcting connection. Another simpler reason is that it's impossible.

Yes it is. The CTs are measuring the power flow which is inherently bidirectional, The correction absolutely goes both ways.

The current corrections and the power direction corrections only apply to the supply side. It's impossible to change the current, or the two way power direction of a load with bad PF on the loads side.

When the currents and voltages are aligned in the suppliers transformer, the currents and voltages in the motor will still be misaligned, the only way for the currents and voltages to be aligned in a motor is for it to not be a motor. Your claims that you somehow correct the phase of the current inside motors and make them better is among the most ridiculous, I'm surprised you continue with them. There's at least one other thread on it somewhere.

You are wrong here too.

I've checked, I'm not!

Details, just in case there's anyone still reading. :)

The CTs measure the current on the supply side of the current correcting wire, from there they can determine the supply side power and it's direction.

The CTs can't measure anything on the loads side of the correction wire because they're not there.
And nothing can be done with the current or power directions on the load side anyway, because it is the load(s) that determine it.

So the current corrections correct the direction of power flow on the supply side so that the supply power direction is always flowing from the supply.

But the supply side current corrections can't change anything at all on the load side, so can't change any of the 2 way power directions or PF of the loads.
Nothing changes at all on the loads side so it can't fix a motor's PF, or any thing else on the loads side. But it does hide the 2 way power direction fluctuations from the incoming supply.

Cleaning up the power at the panel

It cleans the power on the supply side so that the power's direction there is always from the supply.
But on the load side the two way power fluctuations due to a load's bad PF are still there. So bits like "unintelligent loads consuming precisely what they demanded" and "power fluctuations" are just nonsense.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf