Author Topic: A $25000 server for music.  (Read 1690 times)

Online BrianHGTopic starter

• Super Contributor
A $25000 server for music.
« on: June 01, 2022, 12:39:59 am »
 :palm:

Other than passive cooling, everything else is BS.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: A $25000 server for music.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 01:48:09 am »
That's one of the heaviest pile of useless hardware I've ever seen.
How the heck would you ever need a dual-Xeon setup for serving audio files in your home?
Maybe as a server for a small to medium company. For which you can find much cheaper options.

The rest follows. Designing a fully passively cooled dual-Xeon system is going to be expensive and heavy. And even so, I guess it might still make a nice roaster if you push CPU use a little bit.

Don't get the "capacitor bank" either. Crap. Never seen a capacitor bank in a server. And if it's for "audio"? Just freaking put the audio gear (DAC, etc) outside of the freaking computer, with its own power supply, and you're done. You don't need additional caps to serve files. And since those are electrolytic caps trapped in an enclosure that is likely to get pretty hot inside, their lifetime is likely to be rather short too.

And given the overall design, I don't even think it's built to last. It's likely to develop issues after a few years of use. A few years is OK for a computer. It's not for something that costs as much as a car.

I don't always find audiophool "debunking" really useful, as it's sometimes just luxury, and heck, what if someone wants a cable made out of solid gold and moon dust. Even if that bring nothing to the table.
But this one? It manages to make me very "intrigued", as it's just a pure waste of hardware, and it's not even luxury, apart from the price tag. Just build a NAS with an ARM SoC, decent storage, and a gold-plated case with some diamonds, if you want to make it luxury, and you'll sell something for less than half the price that really has a value. ::)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 01:49:54 am by SiliconWizard »

Offline WatchfulEye

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 05:12:14 pm »
Don't get the "capacitor bank" either. Crap. Never seen a capacitor bank in a server. And if it's for "audio"? Just freaking put the audio gear (DAC, etc) outside of the freaking computer, with its own power supply, and you're done. You don't need additional caps to serve files. And since those are electrolytic caps trapped in an enclosure that is likely to get pretty hot inside, their lifetime is likely to be rather short too.
Wood-trimmed linear PSU, with gigantic array of TO-3 transistors on the front, nice.

I hadn't realised there was a market for linear PC PSUs. Now I just need to find someone to market my PSU made out of paralleled LT3042s  :-DD

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 05:23:15 pm »
The thing weighs 45 kg and probably sucks an enormous amount of power for what it really does. Yet another waste factor that I don't get, and again it tickles me more than the average audiophool gear, for this huge waste factor.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2022, 05:53:15 pm »
LMAO what a steaming pile of shit  :palm:

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 06:02:06 pm »
Well, they are clearly not proper audiophiles. Proper audiophiles would have used linear power supplies for the CPUs as well. Can't have that 8 phase switched nonsense.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 07:14:57 pm »
Windoze is running it all so  :P ... should have used a true RTOS if you want to go all out for the audio fools
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2022, 07:32:02 pm »
I hope they are offering their customers all the important options, like a $10k mains lead. I know such a lead can't be in the basic package, as there's no way they could absorb the cost of a top rated mains cable in a budget of only $26k.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 07:37:56 pm »
Well, they are clearly not proper audiophiles. Proper audiophiles would have used linear power supplies for the CPUs as well. Can't have that 8 phase switched nonsense.
clocked CPU's. LOL. proper audophools use CPU's made from vacuum tubes (for the "warm" sound you know) and they work in analog Class A domain, not that clocked digital crap.

* CPU = Cash Pilfering Units ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: robca, BrianHG, bd139

Offline DuPe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 07:56:57 pm »

Quote from: daqq on Today at 19:02:06
....Proper audiophiles would have used linear power supplies for the CPUs as well.

dont forget: Made with vacuum tubes

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 08:41:38 pm »
'Banggood & Olufsen' > winner winner chicken dinner.

The following users thanked this post: Haenk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf