Author Topic: "Aggression Detectors" installed in schools to monitor students  (Read 14307 times)

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: "Aggression Detectors" installed in schools to monitor students
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2019, 12:05:32 am »

If you do not have kids your opinion about kids is irrelevant.

The stupidest thing that I've seen posted in this forum in a long time.

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, newbrain

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 12:18:17 am »

How many kids do you have? ;)
[edit] Which country are you from?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:25:50 am by ogden »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 12:41:10 am »
Squirting goo inside a lady's tickly bits doesn't grant you any special rights or privileges and doesn't grant your opinions any magical powers. Sorry. I kind of wish it did, because a lot of people could obviously bloody well use the help.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2019, 12:49:43 am »
If you're not a criminal your opinion on crime is irrelevant.
If you're not a terrorist your opinion on terror is irreleant.
If you're not a tree your opinion about forrests is irreleant.
If you're not a unicorn your opinion about fairlytales is irrelevant.

Please stop with the personal questions and stay on topic.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 12:57:55 am »
Please stop with the personal questions and stay on topic.

My point about having kids or not was experience (with kids). You proudly stated:

Why not just tell them to not get beaten? Much easier.  :-DD

Every parent would laugh at you  :-DD Obviously I concluded that you are inexperienced with kids. If it is not true - sorry.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 01:00:59 am by ogden »

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2019, 01:14:27 am »
Nope, not according to the teacher's unions.  OTOH there never will be either in their minds.  It's a UNION thing. And it has nothing to do with real world values.
This is the kind of problem money can´t solve. Of course, give them a crash course in psychology, which increases qualification and qualification theoretically means higher salary - OTOH if all teachers are required to have this qualification (which would be a factor to have an improvement) no one is going to earn more money.

And then teachers are just as good in this like everyone else (psychology is in itself not a hiring criteria for a teacher, depending on where you live anyone that wants to be a teacher is acceptable), which means thousands of false alarms are of no help and lead to measures way worse than surveillance. People treating people in an awkward way leads to awkward people... the negative aspects of such actions might overweigh in the long run.

There is some bias in this discussion anyway, for every case of violence there are probably thousands of cases in which students sorted it out themselves without any intervention or only a slight intervention. Maybe that would be the right place to start - teach the kids how to sort out conflicts instead of monitoring them to count how often they don´t. I am sure there are plenty of approaches already available for all age groups.
Support your local planet.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2019, 01:17:30 am »
My point about having kids or not was experience (with kids). You proudly stated:

Every parent would laugh at you  :-DD Obviously I concluded that you are inexperienced with kids. If it is not true - sorry.
That was just a reply to show how unrealistic your own remark was:

If those are your children then tell them to not go into "corners cameras don't reach", or just apply for Darwin's award.

It's not as if children really have that choice if an adult says otherwise, especially in an abusive environment. If just telling them something would solve anything, the problem wouldn't exist in the first place.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2019, 01:31:41 am »
It's not as if children really have that choice if an adult says otherwise, especially in an abusive environment. If just telling them something would solve anything, the problem wouldn't exist in the first place.

In an abusive environment your children needs much more than "not get beaten" advice anyway. As you confirmed your lack of experience (by not acknowledging it) - we can end our debate right now.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2019, 02:24:32 am »
In an abusive environment your children needs much more than "not get beaten" advice anyway. As you confirmed your lack of experience (by not acknowledging it) - we can end our debate right now.
My remark was a sarcastic response to your comment about children needing to avoid corners without cameras. The notion that children have control over something like that is obviously naive and simplistic. I literally told you this in the previous post, but your story is so dependent on my completely speculative "lack of experience" that you still refuse to understand the nature of my comment. Just claim your comment was a joke and we'll pretend to believe you and we can move on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:32:48 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2019, 02:33:44 am »
How parent can be against video surveillance in the school (perimeter, entrance, hallways)? Please elaborate.

Because I live in Australia.

I see. When there are no security issues, you are more concerned about privacy. It is OK, but please do not apply your local knowledge worldwide. World is bigger than Australia, schools differ. As an extreme example I can mention that schools in Nigeria need armed guards.

I was not doing that, but it seems YOU are doing exactly that. There are countries that don't really have these concerns and therefore do not share your desire and push for security everywhere.
I feel sorry for those that live in countries that either feel the need or have the need for such security, or worse, draconian security like armed guards and metal detectors, and have debates in the halls of power about having teachers armed etc.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, newbrain, james_s

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2019, 10:50:02 am »
How parent can be against video surveillance in the school (perimeter, entrance, hallways)? Please elaborate.

I see. When there are no security issues, you are more concerned about privacy. It is OK, but please do not apply your local knowledge worldwide.

I was not doing that

Yes you did. Proof is in front of your eyes, quote in red.

but it seems YOU are doing exactly that.
There are countries that don't really have these concerns and therefore do not share your desire and push for security everywhere.

When I say that video surveillance with audio assist in the schools is NOT waste of the money, it does not automagically imply that I desire video surveillance everywhere. Kinda obvious that places w/o security problems do not need video surveillance. I am sorry that it had to be stated.

[edit] Relevant article about cameras and *armed* guards in schools of Australia. Some numbers here.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 01:06:51 pm by ogden »

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2019, 11:51:13 am »
Just claim your comment was a joke and we'll pretend to believe you and we can move on.
How else you can name thread where computer/electronics nerds are talking about parenting kids using video cameras? :popcorn:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:57:41 pm by ogden »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2019, 06:19:13 pm »

Agreed, it completely ignores the fact that all of us were kids at one point in time and some of us still remember being kids.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2019, 07:58:36 pm »

Agreed, it completely ignores the fact that all of us were kids at one point in time and some of us still remember being kids.

Both of you are completely missing the point. I did mean something like this: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-things-only-parents-will-understand.html. Most likely there are much better examples of "parents will understand", but it was first hit.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:00:18 pm by ogden »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2019, 08:09:47 pm »
Both of you are completely missing the point. I did mean something like this: https://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/10-things-only-parents-will-understand.html. Most likely there are much better examples of "parents will understand", but it was first hit.
You keep dragging things into the discussion that have nothing to do with it. You insist on introducing emotions and irrelevant qualifiers to a discussion which isn't served by them. It's the only what you think you can score points, because you know the factual discussion is already lost. However, be warned that others can too can play that game. The article you linked shows parents have a terrible judgement and are barely functional as normal human beings. Whoops! It turns out the opinion of parents is irrelevant. Or maybe you actually don't want to play this game.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2019, 08:10:51 pm »

How many kids do you have? ;)
[edit] Which country are you from?

That's totally irrelevant to your asinine remark but I'll play along.  I have two. One is an extremely successful lawyer in Washington DC and a member of the United States Supreme Court Bar Association.  The other lives in California and is software developer for a well known video game company  and well known video game blogger. 

And you?????

I live in the US but I'm not "from" here.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2019, 08:32:42 pm »
        And you?????

College-age kid. Satisfied now?

The article you linked shows parents have a terrible judgement and are barely functional as normal human beings.

:clap:  Can't ask for better confirmation of my point.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:00:14 am by ogden »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2019, 09:11:27 am »

I see. When there are no security issues, you are more concerned about privacy. It is OK, but please do not apply your local knowledge worldwide.

I was not doing that

Yes you did. Proof is in front of your eyes, quote in red.

but it seems YOU are doing exactly that.
There are countries that don't really have these concerns and therefore do not share your desire and push for security everywhere.

When I say that video surveillance with audio assist in the schools is NOT waste of the money, it does not automagically imply that I desire video surveillance everywhere. Kinda obvious that places w/o security problems do not need video surveillance. I am sorry that it had to be stated.

Wow. The inability to comprehend your own reasoning is staggering.
You are the one that asked me "How parent can be against video surveillance in the school (perimeter, entrance, hallways)? Please elaborate."
I replied "Because I live in Australia" implying that we don't have those concerns here.
Now you imply that is proof I'm trying to "apply my local knowledge worldwide"  :palm:

As to you not implying that you desire video surveillance everywhere, your own question to me above proves otherwise: "How parent can be against video surveillance in the school (perimeter, entrance, hallways)? Please elaborate."

This is just silly.

The following users thanked this post: gnif

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2019, 10:03:31 am »
You are the one that asked me "How parent can be against video surveillance in the school (perimeter, entrance, hallways)? Please elaborate."

You came-up with "novel concept" - train teachers with money of surveillance, not specifying any particular school or country. I implied that you did mean US schools with security problems mentioned in the OP. To suit your narrative of your "novel concept", you suddenly decided that you talk about schools of Australia, not US. I answered - you shall not apply your local knowledge worldwide.

As to you not implying that you desire video surveillance everywhere, your own question to me above proves otherwise: "How parent can be against video surveillance in the school (perimeter, entrance, hallways)? Please elaborate."

This is just silly.

You implying that I desire security measures in schools w/o security problems - that's silly.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2019, 11:09:57 am »
 :horse:   ...   :=\

The following users thanked this post: ogden

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2019, 11:59:21 am »
You came-up with "novel concept" - train teachers with money of surveillance, not specifying any particular school or country.

This entire thread is about using government security money to buy useless aggression detectors. Yes, that money can be better spent training and enabling teachers, IMO it's a top way to spend the money and get benefits to the kids who need it.
The providers of this system are just milking the cash cow with useless impractical technology.

The following users thanked this post: gnif, newbrain, james_s

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2019, 02:17:26 pm »
You came-up with "novel concept" - train teachers with money of surveillance, not specifying any particular school or country. I implied that you did mean US schools with security problems mentioned in the OP. To suit your narrative of your "novel concept", you suddenly decided that you talk about schools of Australia, not US. I answered - you shall not apply your local knowledge worldwide.
Kids are practically the same everywhere, i.e. the same psychological processes (regarding learning, stress, pressure, conflicts) apply everywhere. The causes might be coming from different directions, but why should that matter, it ends up in brains that work similar and there are limits to what people can take.

Trying to solve social problems with technology is however a hopeless case, because people tend to assume technology is a shortcut to compensate a lack of consciousness of all sorts. But it usually is not, it leads to an even bigger lack of consciousness, is used as an excuse, abused or outright worked around - even if it works perfectly fine, which is rarely the case.

I won´t argue that technology can speed things up and therefore acts like a catalyst in many cases, but it rarely changes why people interact in a certain way on the social level with each other, so if you are concerned about members of a society to cross lines, what would hold them from avoiding this line and cross it somewhere else. It is just messing around with symptoms, not helping with the causes.

You´d practically need to put everyone in jail (including the guards, btw.) if you would want to have some control over this - and even in jails people find ways around rules, because the reasons are unchanged.

The providers of this system are just milking the cash cow with useless impractical technology.
And they build up on the same fearmongering that will not solve the problem as well.
Support your local planet.

The following users thanked this post: helius

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2019, 01:39:11 am »

I just got the joke connection   :palm:
He is using the "violation tickets" because they don't have toilet paper anymore.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2022, 07:30:50 pm »
There's nothing like solid proof of repeated bulling, it will get them expelled instantly.
Is that what happens where you live? Don't assume it happens everywhere. Schools can be very pro-bullying, whatever they say to the contrary.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2022, 08:34:45 pm »
Can we please let this thread fade away again? It is 2.5 years old and was only dug up by a spammer, whose post was thankfully already removed by the mods. Nothing to see here, move on please...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf