Author Topic: Dangerous pseudo science  (Read 5340 times)

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
Re: Dangerous pseudo science
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2021, 07:11:57 am »
All pseudo-science is dangerous, because it lowers the standards of what is considered rational and intelligent. Pseudo-science has been closely associated with history's worst regimes, for example.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2021, 07:59:03 am »

I also have to ask why cancer rates are higher now than ever before?

Because we do not die from starvation now that we can get our teeth fixed!

In the end, the way we grow, by cell division and copying of source code, is going to be bit-flip buggy, which means that if we live long enough cancer is going to get us all. Historically enough of us did not live long enough to notice this, but thanks to health care we now have a meaningful amount of humans dying (sic) to be able to bother about that, instead of trying to keep people off dysentery, malnutrition and violence.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 11:13:58 am »
What you can't deny is that he demonstrated the voltage across his body induced onto it from the power lines or the AC in his house.
In fact, I can deny it.
He never measured the voltage across his body (e.g.: one lead in his ear, one between his toes).
Only the potential difference between his body and the ground (which of course went to zero when he grounded himself).

I'm quite convinced both the absolute result and the change when grounding himself would have been much lower.
I even suspect a possible higher measured voltage when grounded, as induced current would have the possibility to flow through ground.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2021, 11:52:07 am »

So then, here's a conspiracy for you! I conspire to have sex with the next hot woman I find myself in bed with! EEEEEK...OH the Paranoia! Hahaha!

Two problems:-
(1) You can't conspire with yourself.
(2) If you are in bed with the lady, it is way past the time for conspiring, unless you are in fact, conspiring
with her.

By the way, don't tell her you talk about conspiracies on the Internet, or she will think you're a weirdo!

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2021, 01:03:44 pm »
What you can't deny is that he demonstrated the voltage across his body induced onto it from the power lines or the AC in his house.
In fact, I can deny it.
He never measured the voltage across his body (e.g.: one lead in his ear, one between his toes).
Only the potential difference between his body and the ground (which of course went to zero when he grounded himself).

I'm quite convinced both the absolute result and the change when grounding himself would have been much lower.
I even suspect a possible higher measured voltage when grounded, as induced current would have the possibility to flow through ground.

I think what he means by "voltage across his body" is really the voltage induced on his body relative to ground. He's only using the wrong terminology. But you're right to make that clear.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2021, 01:44:16 pm »
Since everyone talks only about induced voltage don't forget that the PUT (person under test) is also a plate of a capacitor.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2021, 02:56:57 pm »
Yeah, I'm not clicking on this video. If I do, the algorithm will suggest other BS like this, I dont want that.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2021, 06:55:58 pm »
Since everyone talks only about induced voltage don't forget that the PUT (person under test) is also a plate of a capacitor.

I may have been harsh saying that they didn't understand what they were measuring, but yes, that was basically it.
The fact they can measure a smaller potential difference when connecting the system - their body - to a potential reference such as "earth" here, is a basic phenomenon. Also, their small "experiment" and misinterpretations of it may remind some of the famous Walter Lewin's experiment on Kirchhoff's laws...

Now whether this may have any impact on health is another story. I don't think there is any proof of that. I will be humble though - we are indeed bathed in increasing electromagnetic "pollution". Would I sign if I had to engage my full responsibility claiming that it has absolutely NO long-term effect on health? I would not. I have humbly no clue. But I wouldn't promote any weird pseudo-protection, or publish any panic messages on the topic either.

But as some people said here, walking barefoot on mats connected to "earth" can be a direct hazard. One thing you absolutely need to do is ensure there is a large enough impedance to the "earth" connection - in the order of several megohms - otherwise you could very well get electrocuted. As to walking barefoot close to high-voltage power lines, it's usually ok but could be a serious hazard if there is a fault in the installation. Oh, and that can also not be advisable when walking close to fields with electric fences.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2021, 01:13:04 am »
Being barefoot has real benefits related to foot problems such as Athlete's Foot or bunions. And taking your shoes off when going inside is not just a polite custom; it reduces lead pollution inside the building. But grounding of floors is definitely potentially dangerous, and at least highly unpleasant, given that many electric appliances have leakage currents over 1 mA. You can feel this very strongly and it is not a good feeling.

The purported "benefits" of being "earthed" is mumbo-jumbo based on equivocation around the word "earth". The electrical potential of the earth has nothing to do with Earth Day, farming, ecology, or gnomes. Putting the body in contact with ground does not shield you from electromagnetic fields: to do that you would need a Faraday cage. For many frequencies of interest, the ground enhances reception of RF waves!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf