Author Topic: Another classic audiophoolery  (Read 9405 times)

Offline BobertsawesomeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Another classic audiophoolery
« on: October 20, 2021, 12:46:06 am »
I scribbled out the poster's name as to not directly dog his beliefs of this "technology," but I figured this should pose a good laugh...

Oh, and they're directional/polarized too. Make sure you install correctly!

Just a hobbyist and evolving voltnut

The following users thanked this post: Dave3

• Regular Contributor
Re: Another classic audiophoolery
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2021, 12:48:51 am »
I should really get into the audiophile industry.

The following users thanked this post: Dave3

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 12:52:15 am »
LOL  :wtf:

What the hell do you do with those?  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 12:57:54 am »
Most higher-end speakers have separated terminals instead of an internal crossover which allows you to filter the frequencies to the tweeter, horn, driver yourself.

So basically this:

Now, why on EARTH you couldn't just connect them with the same high-quality conductor you're running from your amp escapes me...

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 01:01:49 am »
But why not just use a whole piece of copper all the way to each terminal ... oh never mind  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies, MazeFrame

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 01:17:42 am »
Well, my friend, you are in luck. They have that model still in stock.

And for running to your speakers, I suggest their piece of copper wrapped in saran-wrap laid across multiple floor trusses.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 01:21:54 am »
 :-DD

Thank you for making my evening more enjoyable.

On second thought, I'm terrified that people fall for this.  :-[

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 01:32:53 am »
I genuinely think I could start a business like this. Include frequency response testing on every copper ribbon cable that goes out the door (more $!). Would give me a reason to buy that spectrum analyzer I've always wanted :-DD.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 05:16:08 am »
I genuinely think I could start a business like this. Include frequency response testing on every copper ribbon cable that goes out the door (more $!). Would give me a reason to buy that spectrum analyzer I've always wanted :-DD.

tsk tsk, the entire point of these audiophoolery products is that they are NEVER tested with anything that could be mistaken for NIST traceable equipment; it how you imagine it sounds that is the most important thing!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 06:02:53 am »
https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Clearview-Ultrathin-Digital-Interconnect_p_1215.html

I wonder what thing in the middles is for?

https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Vivilink-3-HDMI-Cable_p_1293.html
Vivilink 3 HDMI Cable

Part Number: VIVILINK3-ST
Your Price: $195.00

The Vivilink 3 delivers better AV quality than the highest priced HDMIs on the market: sharper images, more sparkling color, deeper blacks and better articulated, more transparent sound :bullshit:

The braided cable looks tiny and the physical connectors seems to be covered heat shrink rather than in a proper plastic molded cover. Also the heat shrink seems larger than the cable it is covering up.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of what heatshrink is for to help grip the cable in place?

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 07:54:27 am »

I'd say that looks like a solder joint of two paper/copper strips (similar to those "bridges" in the first post).

Well, there are dodgy, nice looking things. Then there are non-dodgy, ugly things. *These* however combine the best out of two worlds: dodgy, ugly and questionable manufacturing skills.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 08:42:45 am »
It is the Quantum Currency Converter. It allows the manufacturer to affect the flow of money and convert the negative money in the pockets of idiots into the positive money their own pockets. Very useful!
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: wraper, AVGresponding

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 10:06:50 am »
As those jumpers are obviously directional how do they cope with AC signals like the output of your stereo amp? >:D

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 10:23:58 am »
I wonder if they investigated how the sharpie marks change the quantum undisturbed electron flow of the audio.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2021, 11:05:36 am »
I wonder if they investigated how the sharpie marks change the quantum undisturbed electron flow of the audio.

I think you hit on something. They don't change the flow they direct it! Isn't it said that simply observing the world has an effect? Well observing the copper and marking it must have some effect.  :-//

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2021, 11:06:28 am »

It's a well known audiophool 'fact' that different colour markers have different effects on audio quality.

I wonder what effect using a purple Sharpie to write 'Gullible dickhead with too much money' on a speaker cable would have on the sound?

The following users thanked this post: RJSV, MazeFrame

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 11:19:17 am »
That would cause a serious distortion.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 08:53:03 pm »
Well, there are dodgy, nice looking things. Then there are non-dodgy, ugly things. *These* however combine the best out of two worlds: dodgy, ugly and questionable manufacturing skills.

I see and they give you a "clear view" of it by wrapping it up in see through plastic.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 11:07:11 pm »
Got another update for you guys today in my quest searching Hifi classifieds for some headphones I want. Came across these:

Lengths start at .75 m all the way to 12 m!

And long-grain copper C13 cables:

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2021, 08:00:39 am »
Oh I'm so pleased someone has finally made a variable current cable, you have no idea just how hard it is to get appliances to work with constant current cabling

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 08:18:43 am »
"Carbon-based noise dissipation" does not work well with heavy metal music, filtering out all that white or pink noise.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2021, 11:59:35 am »
I was thinking about those speaker jumpers some more, ans as far as marketing these jumpers, I'm a little surprised at the poor construction quality. The BS word salad description is there (could use more BS though), but most of the audiophool stuff is at least made to look expensive. Most of the audiophool add-on things you buy are things the consumer can see, replace themselves, and admire for that psychological feel-good experience. "Look at my audiophool outlet strip - I paid $10,000 for it! It has gold-plated contacts and sits atop a marble base for sonic dampening."

These are pretty crappy looking for audiophool stuff. They aren't cut-out the same, wires are different lengths, the labels are hand-drawn by a sharpie, and the soldering is not "pretty". I'd take more time and cut the copper into a more complex shape - maybe even have some special holes punched for some stupid reason I come up with. Then I'd write up even more BS about what the shape is for and how it makes the sonic soundstage appear to expand the space in the room blah blah blah. I'd also advise the phools that you can buy more pairs at any time, and stack one on top of the other, to get even more sound expansion.

Hey this is easy ... Hmmm maybe I do need to look into this business.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2021, 03:37:04 pm »
"Carbon-based noise dissipation" does not work well with heavy metal music, filtering out all that white or pink noise.
What, you don't replace your power cable based on the music you listen to? Some people have no class AT ALL.
Let me guess, you also leave it on the floor and don't buy these power cable holders with spiked legs to avoid vibrations.

;) <-Poe's law.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2021, 05:55:12 pm »
The carbon base is very important:  Everyone knows that pop music was better in the 1960s than in later decades.  All US audio equipment then used Allen-Bradley carbon composition resistors, that are no longer manufactured.  Coincidence:  I think not.
[sarcasm]

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 07:34:02 pm »
The carbon base is very important:  Everyone knows that pop music was better in the 1960s than in later decades.  All US audio equipment then used Allen-Bradley carbon composition resistors, that are no longer manufactured.  Coincidence:  I think not.
[sarcasm]

Seems to me that these cables affect only carbon-based life forms. Your standard Horta, for example, is not amused by any of this.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf