Author Topic: Audiophoolery: the Bybee Quantum Purifier  (Read 5449 times)

Offline AlbertLTopic starter

• Regular Contributor

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Audiophoolery: the Bybee Quantum Purifier
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 11:33:49 pm »
Quite expensive for a zero ohm resistor.

:-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 04:01:42 am »
0.1 ohm actually.

Offline WattsThat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 04:21:14 am »
I’ll bet Mr. Bybee’s CV along with his patent and publication list as a prominent physicist would be quite interesting reading  :-DD

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 04:44:01 am »
Plug-In Speaker Bullets

The Plug-In Speaker Bullets deliver stunning improvements in detail retrieval, ambience and spatial presentation, vocal and instrumental color, transient and dynamic impact, and harmonic completeness. With a a simple plug-in connection, the Plug-In Speaker Bullets surpass even the benefits of all but the most extensive system-wide internal Bybee modification upgrades to amplifiers, pre-amplifiers, loudspeakers, cables, etc.

The Plug-In Speaker Bullets incorporate a newly developed combination of aluminum casings and new proprietary wire that surpasses the gold wire originally used in earlier products. The termination on this product utilizes the highest quality silver banana plugs and 5-way binding post terminals for the receiving end of the speaker cables. Although dramatic sonic improvements will be quickly audible, an burn-in period of 100-200 hours will enable the Plug-In Speaker Bullets to reach full performance.

Don't they already look "burn't in" at the ends and a it crusty?

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 09:50:36 am »
"the Bybee Quantum Purifier was borne."

"borne"? Yikes.

" It is indestinquisable to the human ear, however it's effects are profound"

"indestinquisable "?? it's? Apostrophe misuse is a 101 level mistake.

"It is built into our Quantum Purifies"

Purifies or Purifiers?

" learn more and more about this technology and it's potentials every day.   We are constantly seeking and finding ways to increase it's effectiveness."

Again with the it's vs its... argh. I can't take it anymore. Looks like he should install a Purifier or two on his keyboard cable.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

The following users thanked this post: robca, newbrain

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 03:05:11 pm »

Don't they already look "burn't in" at the ends and a it crusty?

"new proprietary wire that surpasses the gold wire originally used" - I wonder what that is? "Quantum carbon nanotubes" maybe? Hard to find a better-than-gold material for wires, IMHO...

And judging by the picture/description, it seems the gold plating has worn off of the silver "base material" - silver certainly is one of the worst choices as a contact material when exposed to air...

(But good thing is, people never look inside their amplifiers or loudspeakers - they might die to a stroke when they just spent a couple of k for the plugs, running into phone wires on the inside...)

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline penfold

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 03:31:30 pm »
If it's "indistinguishable to the human ear", then who exactly is their target audience? I know that if spent that much money on whatever that is, I would expect its effects to be a little more distinguishable.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 04:24:18 pm »
In the past, we have attempted to explain in more detail, the science behind this technology.  Unfortunately, we find that more information tends to bring out the skeptics, so we now elect to remain informative, yet vague.  We like to say "most people don't know how the cell phone works, but that doesn't stop them from using it."  We feel our products are similar in that it is not critical to know how they work in order to enjoy them.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cyberdragon, newbrain

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 04:37:22 pm »
And the most outstanding feature is that it will deplete your bank account while helping us to make more money. >:D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 04:41:02 pm by madires »

The following users thanked this post: robca

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2021, 04:49:08 pm »
In the past, we have attempted to explain in more detail, the science behind this technology.  Unfortunately, we find that more information tends to bring out the skeptics, so we now elect to remain informative, yet vague.  We like to say "most people don't know how the cell phone works, but that doesn't stop them from using it."  We feel our products are similar in that it is not critical to know how they work in order to enjoy them.

Yep, and they will still sell them just fine. The reason is because, well, it's basically a kind of religion. Meaning facts don't matter, and they know it. If their customers believe it sounds better, then it will. And if they spend $9,999 on a transfactor wave smoothification box, then they will believe it actually makes a difference. A $9,999 difference.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2021, 05:08:02 pm »
Yep! It's called cognitive dissonance and makes you believe the sound has improved by 9,999 bucks.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 05:33:12 pm »
Which is why you often see a glass of wine in-frame in Audiophool articles.  Wine helps with the cognitive dissonance thing.

So here's my new product for the discerning Audiophool:

Sonic Enhancement Vintage Pino Noir
* Using choice grapes only grown during solar flux minima for reduced ionic contamination.
* Zero use of metallic elements in the fermentation and aging process, eliminating galvanically-induced anti-spin polarization.
* Proper application of Sonic Enhancement Vintage will dramatically reduce the sensitivity of your inner ear to Electromagnetic Interference, greatly opening up the soundstage and clarifying standing-wave audio spectral distortion.
* etc, etc.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

The following users thanked this post: hexreader

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 05:46:35 pm »
Add "cryogenically enhanced sound field projection" and "blockchain based verification of authenticity", and it will sell like hot cakes. ;D

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 07:14:25 pm »
I'm going to wait for the spin-sensitive version. Only electrons with up spin go to the left channel and those with down spin go to the right.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 09:20:46 pm »
That would be the Stern-Gerlach version (q.v.).

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 10:51:16 pm »
Since this sucker is quantum, doesn't that mean it has to adhere to the Uncertainty Principle?

"Hey, this thing doesn't work."
"Well, it obeys the Uncertainly Principle...So you can never be certain that it does anything.  Pretty cool, huh?"

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2021, 11:31:11 pm »
If it's "indistinguishable to the human ear", then who exactly is their target audience? I know that if spent that much money on whatever that is, I would expect its effects to be a little more distinguishable.

If it was about being indistinguishable then your criticism would be sound, however the original author says it is about being "indestinquisable" to the human ear, which I think you must agree is a completely different matter. Indeed the whole things is about quisablilty. Proof of that is how queasy you will feel once you have paid for some and heard the difference they make. :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline ElizatronicWarfare

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 05:57:19 am »
What a truly marvellous product it must be, to reach backwards in time and clean up noisy quantumn thingamajigs from the cables in the recording studio as well..!
Professional RF and electronic test-and-measurement technician.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 11:49:36 am »
What a truly marvellous product it must be, to reach backwards in time and clean up noisy quantumn thingamajigs from the cables in the recording studio as well..!

That's a good point as well. Do all the musicians have their equipment cleansed of "impure" sonic degradations. No not a chance. Many sounds are intentionally distorted (i.e. guitars). The guitarist listens to their distortion and sets it just so. But that involves his/her own ear. Who's to say what they think they hear is what another person with different ears hears? Don't a lot of hard rock band members have bad hearing, so ...  :wtf:

The whole recording is composed of impure sounds before it even gets to the recording electronics. So the whole point at home is to reproduce the impure sounds as faithfully as possible ...   :o

I wonder if any musician that was involved in a recording - say Ozzie - was to listen to it in an audiophile's living room ... would he think it sounded like what he remembered. OK OK don't use Ozzie, but you get my point.  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:41:29 pm by xrunner »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 12:21:31 pm »
And even after all the efforts it's not guaranteed that you're pleased by what you hear. >:D

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 12:52:50 pm »
Which is why you often see a glass of wine in-frame in Audiophool articles.  Wine helps with the cognitive dissonance thing.

In essence (Haha, you see what I did here?), it's "the more, the better", that is "the more wine, the better the sound".

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 04:17:52 pm »
Add "cryogenically frozen enhanced sound field projection" and "blockchain based verification of authenticity", and it will sell like hot cakes. ;D

I thought they cryogenically froze things

Here's some blockchain cable to go with it:

https://www.wireonwire.com/products/experience880-tunable-rca-audio-cable-interconnect
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 05:47:46 pm by MrMobodies »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 05:16:53 pm »

Yep, and they will still sell them just fine. The reason is because, well, it's basically a kind of religion. Meaning facts don't matter, and they know it. If their customers believe it sounds better, then it will. And if they spend $9,999 on a transfactor wave smoothification box, then they will believe it actually makes a difference. A $9,999 difference.

While those products are obviously snake oil and all the marketing around them is very funny, as I often say about this, I have absolutely zero problem with those products existing and selling.

Are those companies hurting anyone? Not really. Are they taking away business from others? Not even so IMHO.
That people will judge in a 100% subjective way the effects of products that are exactly sold to "improve" their *subjective* listening experience is perfectly congruent.

Likewise, some people (probably even a lot more than we may think) feel better when they are wearing a certain color. You can try and prove them using thousands of studies that it can't make any objective difference whatsoever. That would be barking up the wrong tree.

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 06:00:37 pm »
A friend in Austria  calls this stuff "Deppensteuer" -> "idiot tax".

The astonishing thing is that availability of excess cash often comes with age - and that is inversely proportional to the upper frequency limit of hearing ability.

Rule of Thumb: age 0: 20kHz, corner frequency of hearing "low pass filter" drops by 2kHz per decade of age. In my case this fits nicely: I stopped noticing the horizontal oscillator of our TV at 20something.

Greetings,

Rainer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf