Products > Dodgy Technology

Auto-Tune. Now used on Simon and Garfunkel.

<< < (14/14)

Rick Law:
In my opinion, the bottom line is, auto-tune can achieve better "mechanical perfection" but that better mechanical perfection doesn't equate to better music.

Music is what?  Not just a series of notes, but instead it is a communication to convey feelings and emotion via sound.  People do buy the same piece of music from different artist because they communicate different emotions and communicate them differently.

The pauses, the way the note transit from one note to another, the volume of a note, and the rise and fall of a note, all convey information -- all adds to the whole of the performance.

Typical music prodigies achieved their "mechanical perfection" at an early age, but never having experienced say for example "a broken heart from being abandoned by boyfriend/girlfriend".  Thus, they do not have the romantic depth in feeling that someone older with actual romantic relationship experience has.  So, be it instrumental or vocal, their playing often is "wooden" as compared to older musicians.  They could imitate how other artist convey the emotion, but in doing so, they are not conveying their own emotion -- they don't yet has that emotion to convey.  Auto-tune will at best make an "amateur level skilled" musician sound like a good prodigy but fails at delivering the emotions that make the music come alive.

In my opinion, yeah, live performance with an audience is better - because the artist's emotion and the audience's emotion feed on each other.  There is a positive feedback loop there.  Recording of course will depend on the media as different media may miss the more subtle qualities differently.

Until "Commander Data" achieve his dream of having emotion, his experience in life will never equal that of a human.  Same for AI today.

EDIT: typo correction, mistyped "node" which should be "note" in a few places.  Musical notes is a thing, musical nodes isn't.

DougSpindler:
Music is a form of art.  And just as art is in the eye of the viewer, music is in the ear of the listener.  Art like music is a business and the artists and promoters charge as much as they can to make as much money as they can.  If you don't like auto-tune music, don't buy it. 

Is Auto-tune that different from lip-syncing? 
Or having Marni Nixon ghost sing for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood and many other stars any different?
Check out the Dave Clark Five on the Ed Sullivan show.  Someone didn't press the play button at the right time.

MrMobodies:
I have a question... At this place I go to they sometimes do Karaoke.

They have this adjustable peddle thing where the microphone connects into it which they say is suppose to make their voice sound better than it is.

Is that some form of auto tune?

DougSpindler:

--- Quote from: MrMobodies on March 11, 2022, 11:21:17 pm ---I have a question... At this place I go to they sometimes do Karaoke.

They have this adjustable peddle thing where the microphone connects into it which they say is suppose to make their voice sound better than it is.

Is that some form of auto tune?

--- End quote ---

Invite me.  If when I sing it sounds like Elvis Presley then it’s Auto-tune.  If everyone leaves, it’s not.  It’s probably a reverb box.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version