Products > Dodgy Technology

Auto-Tune. Now used on Simon and Garfunkel.

(1/14) > >>

Ed.Kloonk:
A comparison of two live vocal performances of Art singing Bridge over troubled water. One from 1981 and the other from 2009 released with Auto-tune. A non-Autotune 2009 version isn't available.

25min video or you may prefer to examine just the isolated vocal comparisons:
1981 https://youtu.be/1ylQPwNofmQ&t=122s
2009 https://youtu.be/1ylQPwNofmQ&t=521s

The youtuber does a pretty good rant in the vid, so I'll spare ya.

Bottom line is if you are buying old music, check that they haven't applied this garbage to it. The record companies think it's cool apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

David Hess:
I cannot say that I am surprised.  It was a matter of time.

I hear a lot of modern music with the vocals processed both with autotune and harmonization.

Rick Law:
I agree with the gentleman on the video.  I was thinking auto-tune was a form of cheating.  It was discussed in this thread back then (thread link below).

I must add, I enjoy "real" music better.  Listening to computer created perfection is not the same as listening to a human performance.  It just doesn't invoke the same kind of emotion when you know it is just a computer making the "art".

--- Quote from: Rick Law on March 15, 2018, 01:15:17 am ---I was listening to some old vocal music.  It occur to me, those are real voices!  The volume, the fullness of the voice, the breath of nodes the singer can carry...  That was what that singer can really do.

With modern electronics, "auto-tune" must be a lot better.  Doing it on-the-fly would likely no longer be discernible.  "Cher effect" is for all practical purpose as long ago as "Sonny and Cher".  Now you really don't know if the singer can really carry that node, or is it just pure electronics at work.  (Amplification aside.)

Wikipedia has a list of those who refuse to use "auto-tune" and those known to use it.  I think it is probably in much wider use than we know.  May be.

You consider that cheating as I do?  For well known performers, how wild spread do you think auto-tune (or similar) is used these days?

--- End quote ---

Ed.Kloonk:
To answer your question, Rick, some performers are using it on the fly during concerts. With mixed results. There are a few y/t vids where they have caught the performance in the phone and then looked at it closer. One video I saw there was a point where they realized the effect was so munt that they turned it off. From that point the singer's warts-and-all voice went out to the audience.

The same youtuber had a video on this about Michael Buble. So insidious.

Auto-tune goes wrong LIVE for Michael Bublé. Is it REALLY worth the risk?!

fourfathom:
Even when it's not obvious to some, I can still hear the autotune artifacts.  It bugs me, probably more than it should, but I just can't stand it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version