Poll

What irritates you the most?

Sticky/Fixed: Headers/Nav Toolbars and Widgets
3 (4.8%)
Dimming overlays
1 (1.6%)
Excessive fake loading spinners/animations
1 (1.6%)
Animated skeleton placeholders & shimmers (FLASHING & CPU HOGGER/slows page load via gradient cycling)
0 (0%)
Chat bots
6 (9.7%)
Autoplay sound and video
6 (9.7%)
Gradients over video, pictures and thumbnails
0 (0%)
Flash/fade/dimming transition elements on page load
0 (0%)
ALL OF THE ABOVE and BELOW (except the last two options)
21 (33.9%)
Page view manipulation: Content jumping/page shift/shrink or expand.
4 (6.5%)
Interference such as Scrolljacking and Clickjacking
2 (3.2%)
Website set to hide contents based on useragent or other
1 (1.6%)
Websites set to discriminate based on country
0 (0%)
Cookie notices
5 (8.1%)
Aggressive advertising: dialogues or same ad on either sides flashing & targeting across platforms
5 (8.1%)
Excessive white spaces
1 (1.6%)
Inappropriately/oversized text or graphics: large & small by relation or ratio
1 (1.6%)
Auto action & mouse hover: Popouts, overlays & expanding, zooming out thumbnail, audio, video autoplay, preview
0 (0%)
Suggestions, predictive texting and history in or under search & text input box
1 (1.6%)
Clickbait trolling: Paywall, authwall, signup (excluding article view limit)
3 (4.8%)
Flash/fade/moving(appearing and disappearing) popout widgets/sliders: xx people viewed this item
0 (0%)
Infinite scrolling
1 (1.6%)
Not sure
0 (0%)
Prefer not to say
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Bad/bloated web design  (Read 71111 times)

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Bad/bloated web design
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 11:47:23 pm »
It appears that Ebay is experimenting with a new styling on their buttons and forms that sometimes shows up.

See pictures.
Extra large search button that can't be missed.
Smaller Search box with an obtrusive looking shark black line around it all out of place on the checkout page.
The line seems to flash a bit and in my peripheral vision when I look elsewhere on the page

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2019, 07:16:33 am »
Another attempt to make it a better shopping experience for the (effing) mobile users, while everybody else suffer?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 06:52:38 pm »

Apparently more than half of eBay buyers are on mobile these days.

There are probably tons of people who only have a phone.

I have no problem with making sites optimized for small screens, but why do that to the detriment of laptop/ desktop users...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 11:02:22 pm »
It's kind of irrelevant for eBay, they already have a mobile app. I use it frequently because it integrates with the camera on my phone and makes it super easy to list items.

When you can detect whether a user is mobile or desktop there's no reason to style for mobile when desktop is detected. News sites are terrible about this, my local news station websites are almost unusable on a desktop. Komonews.com is one of the worst, pass the mouse over certain areas and menus pop up that dismiss themselves if you don't move the mouse just right trying to click something. They have revamped it several times over the past few years and every time I think it can't get worse they're like "hold my beer and watch this."

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 11:43:29 pm »
I hadn't thought about using the app for listing stuff,  that sounds pretty cool!

As you said, it is not beyond the with of Man to design a site that adapts well to both Mobile, Tablet, and Desktop.  Sadly, as desktop is seen as a shrinking market, it doesn't receive much priority.  -  In the "olden days" of web design, it would have been considered unprofessional if your site didn't adapt to various screen sizes,  using any of the various browsers and versions that were in use...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 08:06:53 am »
The only problem with the ebay mobile app, at least here, is that it turns on some annoying options that I don't want like "turn best offers on after a week". I usually have to list stuff on my phone then go on the PC and turn off all the crap per-auction. Very annoying.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 10:37:14 pm »
I get those emails "This is listed by so and so, an experienced eBay seller".

I don't know what to make out about that.

Experienced seller... so what.

I find what I want, see a picture, a description and order.

If it goes wrong the seller has to abide by eBay policy anyway.

I have had "experienced eBay sellers" in the past (if it is to do with how much things they sold) and have been on there for about decade poorly package things and send them out again and again in the same flimsy packaging to be crushed  up and bent in the post despite letting them know how I want it packaged and offering to pay more on the materials.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 01:45:40 am »

"experienced, but does not learn from experience" kind of problem?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 07:26:19 pm »
That was an interesting one that I was thinking about but it still didn't make sense to me.

How can you be experienced when you have learn't from experience.
Maybe it is me and there are other ways to be experienced.

Anyway another stupid email I get occasionally get that's now on the rise when I just look at something.

...this is limited but you can still get it...

Don't lose out on this - there are ... watchers but .. left

See picture

I only looked at that one from a suggestion for a couple of seconds. I was not interested, closed the tab and that was it then I got that email.

It was not as if spent time searching for them with the model number.

I am going to look at turning those alerts off.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2019, 11:17:01 pm »

Consider the example of someone who has failed to achieve some objective despite trying the same thing again and again,  and again.

Experienced... yes.  Learned something... no!

Someone saying they are "experienced" without specifying what that means, is actually not saying anything at all!

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 01:38:39 am »

Consider the example of someone who has failed to achieve some objective despite trying the same thing again and again,  and again.

Experienced... yes.  Learned something... no!

Someone saying they are "experienced" without specifying what that means, is actually not saying anything at all!

Thanks. I think I know now.

Like what happened with Theresa May and her Brexit plan.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 07:41:59 pm »

It's funny you should say that,  the thought crossed my mind as I was typing...   :-DD

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2019, 12:10:27 am »
I don't think "experienced" is that unusual or ambiguous. I mean try to get any real job and they're going to want some experience. An experienced seller should generally know the ropes. Doesn't mean an inexperienced seller is going to be bad, but someone who has sold and shipped a lot of items will probably have a good idea how to safely pack something for example. It also gives some credibility to their feedback rating.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2020, 01:12:26 pm »

"experienced, but does not learn from experience" kind of problem?
many do not learn from mistakes and continue to do it :)

Only Darwin is there to prevent it going on too long!  :D

Offline RenThraysk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2020, 05:14:26 pm »
Don't know wtf Scan is doing... but accessing it from a desktop have to pass a captcha. Got to be an idiot to put a captcha on an ecommerce site.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2020, 05:22:11 pm »
They're stopping people like pcpartpicker.com from scraping their web front end. Big problem at the moment, particularly around product release season.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2021, 04:30:04 pm »
Don't know wtf Scan is doing... but accessing it from a desktop have to pass a captcha. Got to be an idiot to put a captcha on an ecommerce site.

The main purpose of captcha is to place tracking cookies in your browser, possibly fingerprinting your environment in other ways too.  I'm pretty sure Google pays vendors to allow them to get Captcha involved.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2021, 10:13:18 pm »
The main purpose of captcha is to place tracking cookies in your browser, possibly fingerprinting your environment in other ways too.  I'm pretty sure Google pays vendors to allow them to get Captcha involved.

Somebody told me the ones that make you click all of the pictures with motorcycles or crosswalks or traffic signals or whatever are to get you to train their object recognition AI. I have no idea if that's true or not though so take it with a grain of salt.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2021, 10:24:15 pm »

Somebody told me the ones that make you click all of the pictures with motorcycles or crosswalks or traffic signals or whatever are to get you to train their object recognition AI. I have no idea if that's true or not though so take it with a grain of salt.

That's what I heard too and ever since then I purposely always get a bunch wrong at the start.  Even if I get them all right it still makes me redo it a million times anyway.  I hate those so much and the stupid fade effect is so slow!

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2021, 10:28:21 pm »
I also heard that Google's captcha Ilis intended to train their AI and I believe it. It asked me to identify boats this week! It's also intended to identify you. If it can't then you have to repeat the process until it knows who you are.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2021, 10:57:08 pm »
I also heard that Google's captcha Ilis intended to train their AI and I believe it. It asked me to identify boats this week! It's also intended to identify you. If it can't then you have to repeat the process until it knows who you are.

I like messing with its head, so it never knows who I am, LOL...

I might write a script to mess with its head for me...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2021, 06:14:56 pm »
I came across one Google Captcha with motorcycles and some message about suspicous traffic but I was doing lots of searches with tabs open on Google at the time.

I was just looking at Tripadvisor and slowness with all those flashing skeleton things but I got rid of those apart from the dimming on the pictures which seems to be the parent element and it seems to loader quicker but the flashing I found was annoying.

My blocklist (too big to post here) is now over 3000 lines compared to about 300 this time last year before the lockdown.

Web UI annoyances Suggestions/page dimming/spinners/overlays/animated skeleton placeholder blocklist:
https://pastebin.com/sCrFH1Rc

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:16:44 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2021, 04:14:05 am »
Use this to fight back:
https://github.com/dessant/buster/
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Lowkus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2021, 05:10:38 am »
I was just thinking about how to design a website the other day for my photography portfolio.  If I had a menu bar on the top of that page that is always there when you're scrolling, but I keep it only high enough to have some navigation buttons, is that still an annoying thing to see on the page?  Or, let's say the webpage is for selling products, would it still be annoying to always see that menu bar if it shows data such as the total price of everything that's currently in your shopping cart?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2021, 08:57:45 pm »
I was just thinking about how to design a website the other day for my photography portfolio.  If I had a menu bar on the top of that page that is always there when you're scrolling, but I keep it only high enough to have some navigation buttons, is that still an annoying thing to see on the page?  Or, let's say the webpage is for selling products, would it still be annoying to always see that menu bar if it shows data such as the total price of everything that's currently in your shopping cart?

Depends on the size of the screen - on a phone, both those things would be annoying, on a laptop/desktop, might be helpful.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf