Author Topic: Brazillian Antenna Scam  (Read 4823 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Brazillian Antenna Scam
« on: October 23, 2019, 10:42:20 pm »
Well, probably not a scam, some people are just this delusional about their ideas.
Obviously I'm on the first plane to Brazil, I'm gonna be RICH!

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Brazillian Antenna Scam
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 11:06:32 pm »
LOL. Well, I don't know for sure, but this just looks like the old uncle scam. The guy you never knew existed has willed you a fortune, but you just need to pay some administrative fees first to get it. Many variants. This one looks creative, but rather exactly the same.

Now if it's not one of those scams, the guy should definitely learn how not to make his funding campaign look like one.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 11:13:36 pm »
But Dave, think of all the office space you can buy in a few years with $30 million - with only a $70k investment!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:27:51 pm »
It makes no sense, for a single project they could probably rent the required equipment for far less than $70k. The Scam/ Nonsense Ratio is extremely high on this one.    :bullshit:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 12:11:46 am by Muttley Snickers »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 11:28:05 pm »
Yeah, energy consumption by antennas is something else. Ideally they consume all the energy supplied, that's kind of the point.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, vsmith

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 11:31:08 pm »
 Yup, new variation on the same old scam. You get 10's of millions (of what - he doesn't mention a currency - maybe it's 70 million stones, or grains of sand), but first you need to send 10's of thousands to handle the processign and paperwork involved.

This one's as old as the hills, just an interesting more personally targeted premise.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 12:57:20 am »
A good overunity antenna  ::)  "more stable" , does not burst into oscillation  >:D
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Whales

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 01:30:17 am »
Should I correspond with him and try and extract technical details?  >:D

The following users thanked this post: ludzinc, george.b

Offline mengfei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 01:35:06 am »

Yes! you should & lets see how it goes
Scamming the scammer lol :-DD

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 01:36:41 am »

Yes, could be fun and waste some of his time.  I try to do that with all the NBN and ATO scam calls I get.

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 01:43:43 am »
I'm lost somewhere between curious, amused and ashamed. :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Neomys Sapiens

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 02:17:26 am »

Of course!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 02:26:30 am »
Wondering what sort of additional equipment is needed at this point in the project?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 02:35:54 am »
Troll'la'la'la...  >:D

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, george.b, james_s

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 02:37:21 am »
Yes, could be fun and waste some of his time.  I try to do that with all the NBN and ATO scam calls I get.

I get a ton of cold calls from these financial services companies. I like to convince them that I'm THE David Jones who owns the store  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 05:08:30 am »
Dave,
This would be a good one to turn around by telling him that you are the premier electronics engineer of Australia and have all of the equipment necessary to evaluate and improve antennas and would be happy to help him out for only $200 per hour plus 10% of future profits.   The per hour rate to be paid monthly,  in advance, of course!  :popcorn:

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 05:52:42 am »
For the sake of argument, let's pretend he has invented a truly clever and innovative improvement in antenna technology for cell phones, and furthermore, let's assume he knows enough about all of the other practical constraints in this area that his design can truly work not only in theory, but in practice, as well.  I know, that's a stretch of the imagination...

He clearly has no capital, as evidenced by the fact that he needs to ask strangers to pitch in 70,000 (I don't know the units; I'll assume it's something within an order of magnitude or so of a Euro or US Dollar) for test equipment, and he's promising a rate of return many orders of magnitude in excess of what a bank would charge for a business loan, which tells me that he can't convince any banker of the worth of his project.   Furthermore, he knows in advance that this test equipment will allow him to take his idea worth 4 million and turn it into an idea worth 100 million? 

That makes no sense to me at all, but I'll suspend disbelief a bit further and assume he's absolutely right, and he knows in advance how much the testing can improve his idea, even though he doesn't have the wherewithal to perform the testing at the present time, so he can't have seen the test results yet.

My question is, how is he financing the intellectual property attorneys to property protect his idea worth 100 million?  IP attorneys don't come cheap.  I would expect the cost of obtaining the patent(s) alone would be at least as high as the cost of that test equipment, but the cost of obtaining such a patent is only the beginning.  He had better have a healthy reserve of capital if he expects to defend the patent in court.  The phone manufacturers have armies of well-paid patent attorneys, and they know the game well.

He also must be careful as he markets this idea to the potential customers that he takes all the proper legal precautions to prevent them from stealing his idea, while allowing them to see enough of his technology so that they can understand why they would want to pay millions for the right to use his idea.

Without good patent protection, there is precious little to prevent a mega phone corporation from simply copying his innovative antenna design and paying him nothing.  If he complains and sues them, they'll drag it out in court until he runs out of funds, which apparently won't take long.

The only way a phone manufacturer is going to pay millions for an idea, even a great idea, is if it gives them an advantage over their competition, meaning it must be something their competition can't copy easily.  For something as obvious as an antenna, that means it needs enforceable legal protection -- it can't be just a simple trade secret, because it's too easy to analyze an antenna's geometry and copy it.

Just to be clear here, I'm confident he doesn't have an antenna innovation worth millions.  I'm just saying that if he did, he would need a lot more than test equipment to collect any money for his idea.

The following users thanked this post: rodpp

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 05:01:58 am »
Dont you think developing an antenna for 20 years in a row is a bit of a stretch?  :box:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:29:01 pm by Bud »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 05:31:42 am »
He hasn't replied  :(

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 06:36:53 am »
I have seen some forum dedicated to trolling scammers.
If you want them to reply you need to look like an absolute idiot and pretend they will have their money if only they help you overcome your irrational hurdles.
Scammers will actually go to great lengths for a promise of $70k but they need this dangling carrot ;)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 02:10:51 pm »

Offline mengfei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 01:20:40 am »
He hasn't replied  :(

Wait for itttttt... ;D

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 01:27:04 am »
Hi,

I have a heard of a 'Brazillian Wax'.

If you are not sure, Google it  >:D

I would not volunteer for the 'Brazillian Antenna Treatment'.

Jay_Diddy_B

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 02:54:26 am »
While all  you were blowing this off I invested and I've already cotten my first dividend of 15 millions.  I need to raze the import fees but don't have it right now.  If someone willing to put in Earnest monies of 5 millions I will spilt the fool amount with them.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 02:53:25 pm »
While all  you were blowing this off I invested and I've already cotten my first dividend of 15 millions.  I need to raze the import fees but don't have it right now.  If someone willing to put in Earnest monies of 5 millions I will spilt the fool amount with them.

Pyramid scam! :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf