Author Topic: China putting solar panels in park benches, and you sit on the panel.  (Read 9844 times)

Offline Helio_CentraTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
https://fb.watch/mwF8147_fh/

One commenter says that the Qi wireless charger stops working if you sit on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: China putting solar panels in park benches, and you sit on the panel.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 04:38:45 pm »
Someone is going to end up with a piece of broken glass sticking in their backside.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Helio_Centra

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 05:13:29 pm »
Cleaning solar panels is not something most people would consider a great job, so why not get some dumbass to do it?

The following users thanked this post: Monkeh, Kean, Ice-Tea, CatalinaWOW, BrianHG, Kim Christensen, 5U4GB

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 05:27:11 pm »
Could be a problem with the bubble butt. I wonder if they are Kardashian-rated?
CRUNCH

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 06:21:22 pm »
  I don't think that China produces the same size complete asses as the Kardashian family.

The following users thanked this post: Zoli, Roehrenonkel

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 06:36:33 pm »
Perhaps the panels have some methane recycling ability??

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 06:43:50 pm »
To be fair, the bench probably has it's own battery. I guess the effectiveness depends on how often people sit there and whether the solar panel still outputs something when partially "shaded"...

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 08:01:13 pm »
Obviously the answer to these problems is to put solar panels on people themselves. Normally, nobody's going to sit on someone else, at least in outside situations and without the other person's consent.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 05:24:03 am »
   I'm so hungry, I could eat a baby's butt through a park bench.
Errr, make that 'could eat a solar panel, through a park bench'.   ? Not as funny

Offline seedkey

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 04:07:35 am »
Don't do that. Baby won't like it

Offline AlbertL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 07:29:42 pm »
A basic flaw in this concept - a flaw it shares with solar roadways/railroads/whatever - is that the two uses are in conflict.  A bench is meant for sitting, but sitting on the bench - like driving on a solar roadway - interferes with the solar power generation.  It would make more sense to put a solar panel above the bench, where it would be unobstucted and also serve the complementary purpose of providing shade, like with these tables: https://gosunbolt.com/.     

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 08:11:37 pm »
A misconception is that one would need a lot of area for PV. It only takes a relatively small percentage of the land area to provide all the power needed, at leat in many regions, especially those with a lot of sun.  There is no need to choose ill suited areas for this, like drive ways, road, rail tracks, cars, ... . Some countries may just have to look for alternatives to PV or save on the power consuption, by no longer having energy intensive industries if there are no good conditions for cheap energy.

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 04:47:46 am »
https://fb.watch/mwF8147_fh/

One commenter says that the Qi wireless charger stops working if you sit on the bench.

Maybe the panel charges a battery, in the bench so when nobody is sitting on it, it charges up. Then the charged internal battery can be used to charge your smartphone.

Offline miegapele

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2024, 09:29:13 pm »
This is isn't so bad as on a road, weight load is smaller, and nobody likes to sit on the bench in direct sunlight anyway. But still could be better used to provide shade itself somewhere.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2024, 01:40:55 pm »
Besides, I guess during summer time (or perhaps even just after being under full sun for several hours) those benches will be too hot to sit on.

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2024, 10:01:55 am »
Maybe it's meant for politicians who think the sun shines out of their *ss?

The following users thanked this post: coppice

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2024, 12:23:57 pm »
Put the panels above the bench.

Then, you will have some shade and some shelter from rain, and people sitting on it will not block the photons. Also the solar panels will get very warm from charging when nobody has been sitting on them, hence it will be uncomfortable to put your ass on them.

Do I have to think of everything:-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2024, 02:28:19 pm »

I guess that you do.  In our own defense though I'll just say that most of us probably haven't ridden a bus since we were big enough to ride a bicycle.

But let's think this through. How big is a bench seat?  And how big is a over over a bus stop?  Roughly 5' by 18" or about 7 1/2 Ft2 and 6' x10' or 60 Ft2.  Does anyone think that either of those is actually going to be economically effective? Especially when you include the costs the infrastructure required (wiring, batteries, chargers, etc) and the costs of the solar cells.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2024, 03:20:14 pm »

I guess that you do.  In our own defense though I'll just say that most of us probably haven't ridden a bus since we were big enough to ride a bicycle.

But let's think this through. How big is a bench seat?  And how big is a over over a bus stop?  Roughly 5' by 18" or about 7 1/2 Ft2 and 6' x10' or 60 Ft2.  Does anyone think that either of those is actually going to be economically effective? Especially when you include the costs the infrastructure required (wiring, batteries, chargers, etc) and the costs of the solar cells.
Comparing this with a bus stop is odd. Most bus stops with a shelter now have a grid connection to power an information display. So, slapping solar panels on the shelter's roof, and plugging their inverter into the existing grid connection, is all you need. A bus stop's cost issues will be more about the high costs of distributed maintenance than the initial investment.

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2024, 01:33:37 am »
Comparing this with a bus stop is odd. Most bus stops with a shelter now have a grid connection to power an information display. So, slapping solar panels on the shelter's roof, and plugging their inverter into the existing grid connection, is all you need. A bus stop's cost issues will be more about the high costs of distributed maintenance than the initial investment.

Just to emphasise this point, this isn't just idle speculation, this is exactly it.  The incremental cost of adding panels to a new bus stop when built is tiny (it's not $1.7 million dollars per build but still substantial), and all the infrastructure is already present.  I would imagine the main reason why it's not done more is maintenance, easier to maintain a single solar farm somewhere than panels on several thousand bus stops across a city.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2024, 01:01:58 am »
   Actually, (and sorry if stirrs up trouble) I just realized no one has discussed having some 'PROTECTIVE factors, such as with existing city ordinances, where the 'Sunlight' or 'Sky Access' rights go with the land property.
   Not an attorney, but I understand that many land and building legal privaleges can include rights to 'sun' access, relating to neighboring private lands.   Those adjacent owners might end up with 'regulations' regarding....;   Tree branches and such, and the blocking of sunlight.
Just saying.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2024, 07:51:21 pm »
Let's destroy all trees on Earth to install more solar panels.

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2024, 02:25:39 pm »
Perhaps through thermal imaging those panels are also tracking your butt. The Goon Squad can see which comrads spend the most time sitting on their ass and not working!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf