Author Topic: Digital 'Cameras' from Wish.com  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Deodand2014Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Digital 'Cameras' from Wish.com
« on: January 09, 2021, 02:39:29 am »
The YouTube does sarcastic product reviews and about four months ago posted a review of four camera's he'd purchased from wish.com. Two turned out to be (The same) webcam electronics in traditional camera shaped shells. The third appears to be a descendant of the camcorder Dave tore down in issue 595 and the last, well despite being three times as expensive and apparently much heftier than the other three camera's, well performance was disappointing to say the least.

Ashen's opens one of the two webcam based camera's but none of the others...

Perhaps Dave needs to have a look into these...

As a challenge, I'm wondering just what type of cheap dedicated camera you could construct using the types of sensors fitted to mobile phones?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:51:36 am by Deodand2014 »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: Digital 'Cameras' from Wish.com
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 04:34:07 pm »
I remember this teardown video he did reluctantly on one of them in 2014.

EEVblog #595 - World's Worst Shittiest Camcorder: Teardown

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 06:56:43 pm »
Wish sells so much crap, it's mind-boggling.

Offline Domagoj T

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 06:42:04 am »
I am ashamed to admit, but I was stupid enough to fall for this. I saw a "4K action cam" for ~$30 and thought how bad could it be? If it works at all it's good deal, right? I was not naïve enough to hope for real 4K, I expected the 4K to just be some interpolated crap, and would have been happy with 1080p, or even a half decent 720p.
Well, the camera arrived, I quickly went through the settings, cranked it up to 4K of course, and shot some test video just to realize that the image quality is utter garbage. Interpolated for sure, but not from 1080, or even 720, but rather from 360 (or maybe 480).
Anyway, I played around with the settings a bit more, tested some other modes and then, about half an hour into me playing with it, the 128 GB Class 10 microSD was bricked. This was more than three years ago, so the price of the card was significantly higher than the camera.
Lesson learned.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 02:41:11 pm »
These could even be found in Argos stores in the UK quite recently, with the Praktica brand iirc. They are indeed garbage.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 04:35:39 pm »
I just don't understand what's up with Wish.com.

They keep having very deceptive practices to sell crap. Sure the crap they sell is very cheap, but that's no excuse. Most product descriptions on it are blatant lies, and so are the claimed discount rates, obviously based on prices of remotely-related, genuine and quality products.

And it's an american company too. I just can't understand how they are still in business. How do they manage not to be charged with "unfair and deceptive trade practices"? Is the fact that the sold products are so cheap a reason good enough not to be deemed unfair? But even if not "unfair" per se, is it not just false advertising?

I'd really be interested in having a lawyer's opinion here. I'm boggled.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 04:45:18 pm »
Is the fact that the sold products are so cheap a reason good enough not to be deemed unfair?
The last time I looked at it, the same crap could be purchased from ebay or ali for half of the wish price.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 04:53:26 pm »
And it's an american company too. I just can't understand how they are still in business. How do they manage not to be charged with "unfair and deceptive trade practices"? Is the fact that the sold products are so cheap a reason good enough not to be deemed unfair? But even if not "unfair" per se, is it not just false advertising?

I'd really be interested in having a lawyer's opinion here. I'm boggled.
IANAL, but that is probably due to the fact that consumer protection laws in the US are almost non-existent. You would have to spend quite the money to try and pursue something on your own, thus it would be rather the exception given the average price of each product.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 05:21:28 pm »
I wasn't under the impression they were non-existent.
https://iclg.com/practice-areas/consumer-protection-laws-and-regulations/usa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising

Besides, this isn't just a consumer protection issue IMHO. Given the average price of Wish's products, as you said, the harm done to consumers is even usually pretty minimal.
But it may cause a much larger problem with unfair competition: obviously the market share they "eat", using deceptive practices, is not available to others. You may argue that they don't really take away any business as there's no real competition for such low prices (except with similar businesses of course), but the fact they are using false advertising is still misleading and should be, IMHO, prosecuted.

There's a difference with companies such as eBay (or even Aliexpress, Banggood, etc), as I see it, because the latter do not actually use false claims and false advertising nearly as much as Wish does. Wish's motto clearly is something like "buy the same products for 90% less"  or something; which is NOT what eBay or Aliexpress claim. Just a thought.

Offline GerritMax

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 07:44:32 pm »
Wish sells so much crap, it's mind-boggling.
Like I bought a mobile phone from wish in 2019.
First one never arrived so got refunded.
Second one was never send as it suddenly was out of stock.
Took nearly 5 months to get my money back through paypal.
In the end I (stupidly enough) bought a mobile phone for £27
Was said to be a 64 GB phone, yeah, right.
It was lucky to have 2 GB, if that.

Most of the normal apps that we all like to use couldn't even be installed.
And what I did find out pretty quickly is that the phone would install several apps
on it's own without me doing anything.

Needless to say that this phone is now no longer being used, think I used it in total forr about 4 to 5 weeks
and then just tossed it.

End of the story, I stopped buying from wish as they are garbage, just like most of the products.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 11:09:11 pm »
I remember when CVS sold $30 video cameras. They were pretty decent for the time especially after considering the price.

Nowadays, if you want a really cheap camera that's not complete junk, wait for a deal on a really cheap smartphone.
Was said to be a 64 GB phone, yeah, right.
It was lucky to have 2 GB, if that.
Perhaps it was 2GB + support for up to 64GB micro SD (not included) or 62GB cloud storage free trial?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 07:26:42 pm »
I wasn't under the impression they were non-existent.
https://iclg.com/practice-areas/consumer-protection-laws-and-regulations/usa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising

Besides, this isn't just a consumer protection issue IMHO. Given the average price of Wish's products, as you said, the harm done to consumers is even usually pretty minimal.
The issue here is that most of the agencies deal in the realm of safety and health/sanitary regulations at the federal or state level, leaving very little room for the individual purchase of an electronic gadget that operates out of its specifications. Up to the 1990s the closest to true enforcement for consumer electronics was the powerful FCC and their strict regulations and tests for electronic equipment - however, in the days of internet e-commerce, this has become a free-for-all market.

But it may cause a much larger problem with unfair competition: obviously the market share they "eat", using deceptive practices, is not available to others. You may argue that they don't really take away any business as there's no real competition for such low prices (except with similar businesses of course), but the fact they are using false advertising is still misleading and should be, IMHO, prosecuted.
I didn't really mention fairness above, but let's ride on this train. Unfair competition comes in many different forms. Selling items out of spec or blatantly lying to the consumer is not exclusive to Wish, as Alibaba, Banggood and eBay are also examples of that (heck, even Amazon with their DMMs with fake CAT ratings). A great thing about the Chinese platforms is that they cut the middlemen between the Chinese marketplace and other countries. However, the tax exemptions and little to no cost shipping due to a century-old international agreement are terribly unfair for the local merchants and importers that need to cover all these expenses. Also, the R&D and market research costs being cut by blatant copyright and patent infringement can be extremely unfair. Some of these aspects have been glossed over for more than twenty years with no action from any of the global economic players - that is, before the current US administration. 

There's a difference with companies such as eBay (or even Aliexpress, Banggood, etc), as I see it, because the latter do not actually use false claims and false advertising nearly as much as Wish does. Wish's motto clearly is something like "buy the same products for 90% less"  or something; which is NOT what eBay or Aliexpress claim. Just a thought.
All of them sell out-of-spec or bad quality crap, thus I personally don't really see much distinction. Buyers need to be much more attentive than ever to these malpractices, given it is almost impossible to sue or solve any disputes outside of the realm of the platform itself.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 07:59:25 am »
Interesting thought to ponder: if these were selling at that price 20 years ago, they would be awesome. Amazing how much progress has been made since then.

I'm guessing the sensors are from Omnivision --- they seem to be very common in lots of low-end stuff; and if you look up how much they cost, that's most of what those complete cameras cost. The sensor itself is likely capable of 1080p30 but for whatever reason the firmware/encoder isn't. They're also capable of much better quality than shown, but the makers probably just took a reference "make a camera" eval board from one of the various SoC companies and didn't modify much. I have an Android smartphone with OV8825 and the camera with the default settings was roughly as horrible quality as the cameras in Ashen's video, but I figured out how to get it to run in RAW mode and the difference was night and day.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 03:28:47 pm »
All of them sell out-of-spec or bad quality crap, thus I personally don't really see much distinction. Buyers need to be much more attentive than ever to these malpractices, given it is almost impossible to sue or solve any disputes outside of the realm of the platform itself.

You possibly missed the distinction as I was trying to show it. Sure you can find the same crap on other platforms such as eBay or Aliexpress; but what I'm saying is that the business model and advertising practices are a bit different.

eBay or Aliexpress allow sellers to sell whatever they want with whatever description they like, but that entirely lies upon the sellers' shoulders, and even though those companies also certainly take advantage of this, they do not *actively* promote this behavior. You can find also genuine and quality stuff on eBay. Wish has a different business model, and deception is the core of their practices. They actively promote deception, which is not the case of other platforms.

Offline peterlewis

• !
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 09:12:09 am »
I have such horrible experience from Wish that even the word brings tears in my eyes.  :'(

If you just want to experiment, then go for it. But even that will go wrong, I am telling you. Buy from wish only if the world is coming to an end.

You are welcome

Offline schwaggins

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 02:31:53 pm »
Wish is so full of scammers nowdays its unbelievable i don't know how the place isn't shut down by now. Sellers on Wish were the ones sending dodgy chinese seeds all over the planet :palm:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 09:16:03 am »
I've just located another teardown/review of a wish.com 'digital camera', this time by an Australian based reviewer who seems to make a habit of buying electronic devices from Wish.com.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 10:44:05 pm »
Even the pictures on the camera and photo inset are fake, not taken by the camera and are just stock photos copied from somewhere by the marketers or sellers.

02:16

Taken from:
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/young-athlete-crossing-rocky-terrain-bicycle-136312100

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-SLR-Camera-2-4-Inch-TFT-LCD-Screen-HD-1080P-16X-Zoom-Lens-Anti-shake-UK-/383736793737

Taken from:
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/happy-asian-women-friends-backpacker-enjoy-695485927

2:00

Just noticed they made a mistake on flipping the camera horizontally:

The following users thanked this post: Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2021, 11:34:41 am »
This is Smoorez second 'Digital Camera' review, I have vague memories of seeing things like this on sale at the Reject Shop a few years ago.

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 11:44:43 am »
Some people would choose to buy something cheap that they then throw away over spending a little more and having something they want to keep.

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2021, 12:49:03 pm »
I just don't understand what's up with Wish.com.

They were using aggressive marketing and every (dirty) trick in the book at increase the number of registered customers and number of orders before their IPO.
The site screamed scam...

So to no surprise once they went public and reporting quarterly earnings stocks kept going down.
I do expect them to hit rock bottom in a 2-3yrs max.

Basically a scam site but the scam is not primarily aimed at the customers, but potential shareholders.

Offline agtrbt

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 08:31:57 am »
wish.com management should lest their brand spoiled by excessive rubbish listing

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2021, 04:02:54 am »
Youtube is full of people buying something on Wish just to see what it is, and make a video.  And they get such utter crap wouldn't be a good buy at any price.  For example, this guy bought a fake golf club a couple of years back:
Clearly not worth what he paid for it, even though it was a fraction of the real item.
It wouldn't be a good buy even at $10.  Just a complete waste of time (unless your goal is make a video!).

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2021, 05:11:47 pm »
Well, then Wish actually is a good indirect source of income for all those Youtubers.
It's some  kind of symbiosis. ;D

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 04:11:24 am »
I’ll take Dave’s analysis over Ashens’ - a master of eating out of date food and old tat from Poundland. 😄

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf