Author Topic: Directional HDMI cables?  (Read 1584 times)

Offline John BTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Directional HDMI cables?
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:37:52 am »
I picked some wirelogic branded HDMI cables from costco, I think they're also sold at home depot in the states. I wasn't looking for "audiophile" stuff, but I noticed on the package that the cables are labelled as directional, ie there's an arrow pointing from source to monitor. The package states "Direction controlled conductors drain away distortion causing noise." and to orient them "For maximum performance". Needless to say it raised my eyebrow, but for a pack of 2x cables at costco they are cheaper than other consumer electrical stores, so again it's not like I purchased them as some premium product. Is it just marketing wank?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Directional HDMI cables?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 02:41:47 am »
Definitely marketing wank. Costs virtually nothing, ropes in a handful of people who don't know any better. Might be marginally useful for keeping track of which cable is which if you have them coming and going to and from various devices I guess.

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Directional HDMI cables?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 02:51:46 am »
HDMI cables near the maximum length of 50ft can have active booster and reciever chips in either ends of the cable that make them directional.. it's more of a trade off with limitations than a feature, needed to achieve a bit more distance.

If the cable is below 25ft, then any basic quality cable shouldn't require active boosting to compensate for voltage drop over the distance. Simple is always best, a short cable doesn't need active boosting and it's just using an unnecessary part to raise the cost and increase the marketing wank for something that isn't necessary or needed in there.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:04:13 am by Algoma »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf