Products > Dodgy Technology

Do cellphones actually give you cancer?

<< < (18/18)

borjam:

--- Quote from: dunkemhigh on October 22, 2021, 09:55:27 am ---
--- Quote ---visible light at a much higher frequency would have more dramatic side effects
--- End quote ---

Does that follow? If you use a little IR to warm your hand, does that mean that a little green light will burn you? Material transparency depends on wavelength, so something might indeed be nasty to your insides by can't get past your walls or even skin. Bigger isn't necessarily worse.

--- End quote ---
Define "a little", please.

Again, thermal effects which are irrelevant to the cancer discussion.

PlainName:

--- Quote ---Define "a little", please.
--- End quote ---

Figure of speech. In this case, take it to mean however much is necessary to warm your hand.

--- Quote ---Again, thermal effects
--- End quote ---

Actually, an effect. Used to illustrate that bigger and faster isn't necessarily more of the same.

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: borjam on October 19, 2021, 06:10:48 am ---So, let's accept that those particular frequency bands are especially dangerous because, well, they tickle spermatozoids or whatnot.

Weren't they dangerous when they were used for high power, in the order of KW, television transmissions? Antennophobiacs tend to think that "those frequencies were invented for cell phone use" or some equivalent bullshit.

--- End quote ---

Well, TV transmission has always used frequency bands below 1 GHz (VHF/UHF), and even the more modern DVB-T or similar.

MazeFrame:

--- Quote from: perieanuo on October 19, 2021, 08:59:38 am ---that's like the cases in France country-side, where dozen babies are born without arms, there are studies but non-concludent (i'm talking about government studies after those medical issues appeared in mass-media). people blamed pesticides, other people suggested radiation minerals.

--- End quote ---
I remember seeing an ARTE produced documentary on that. I also read some reports from similar (NOT the same) genetic defects were observed in newborns of farmers in Mexico who used some pesticide (can't remember which one). Since pesticides (unlike waves) stay somewhat local to where they are used, I would argue towards that.

SiliconWizard:

--- Quote from: MazeFrame on October 27, 2021, 01:41:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: perieanuo on October 19, 2021, 08:59:38 am ---that's like the cases in France country-side, where dozen babies are born without arms, there are studies but non-concludent (i'm talking about government studies after those medical issues appeared in mass-media). people blamed pesticides, other people suggested radiation minerals.

--- End quote ---
I remember seeing an ARTE produced documentary on that. I also read some reports from similar (NOT the same) genetic defects were observed in newborns of farmers in Mexico who used some pesticide (can't remember which one). Since pesticides (unlike waves) stay somewhat local to where they are used, I would argue towards that.

--- End quote ---

Yep, although inconclusive as well at this point, pesticides seem to be the more likely culprit here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version