Author Topic: Does anyone (else) keep a 'CURIOUSITY LIST' for electronic sciences ?  (Read 2492 times)

Offline RJSVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
   Good Morning!
   Keeping a wish list is nothing new;  What about specific things, in Electronics and related Physics ?
I suppose a college student has similar thoughts, when planning courses to take.
   But now, with age comes memory problems. A new idea or analysis sparks the curiosity, but then often gets shuffled to the side-lines, fading into vagueness.

I've started my own private 'LIST', jotted down as I go. AND, sure, I've asked myself, like many, "...How can I lose a bit more weight / with some conditioning?"
(Sure, some learning goals are lofty, some frivolous sounding.)
   For the frivolous topics, I've included, BABY CHICKENS:...   SO:
     1.)   How do baby chicks hear ? I mean, ear structure, generally, in birds. That actually brings up the question, is that topic going to mention the DYNASAURS' hearing and anatomies ? And, while I'm there, might as well speculate on the whole, pre-historic situation, about how well the dynasaurs could hear, etc.

Ok, list
   2.).  EEVBLOG items I don't recognize, such as 'FINITE STATE MACHINE'. Having one or having two 'solution stages', whatever that meant, for a state machine.

3.) And, back to those baby chicks:
     "Why, in bloody hell, do they (all) go quiet and listen, cocking their heads in attention, to my attempts to whistle them a 'song'.
   I tried whistling 'Star Spangled Banner'; they listened.
   I think maybe they seek me, as their new LEADER, now, maybe...
   3.).  EEVBLOG vintage processor mentioned a '1-bit' CPU, in early electronic calculator days.  Ok but I did that one-better:.  I once tried to 'invent' some CPU / math that had 'bits', with less than 2 states, encoded:
Enter the UNARY bit: it's half of a (two-state) regular 'bit'.  Believe or not, with requirement two unary 'encoded' 'bits' needed, to transfer the two conventional states of one or two. Ridiculous, silly, I know.

4.) Just about everything Cosmological, especially dark matter, and the expansion of space. (I think I'm better, trying to contemplate 'single state' bits, lol).

5.) And just what, would such a 'single state' bit be called? : A 'blat' ? I can do better than that. How about,
 a "???": Readers: A little help, here, on that...

AND 6.) The question, that got this thread started:

Can just ANYONE, write any book, using the title 'How to Barbecue, FOR DUMMIES'.    ??
I mean, is that "blah blah blah For Dummies" title OWNed by someone ?

Anyway, that last one was/is a serious question, among the silly ones.

And, yes, it IS possible to operate 'UNARY' based logic, where (all other) number bases, Binary, Octal, Decimal, etc can be 'built up'.
   Some media, it seems, brings up questions as you go (even as you read through some answers).  EEVBLOG can be like that: You get two answers, and a NEW couple of questions arise.
   Cosmology physics awakens the curiousity factor the most, though.

Whenever someone, or some science, causes a new question, I'm gonna jot it down, for later. Kind of a nice list, similar to a classic personal 'goals' list.

Thanks.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
Re: Does anyone (else) keep a 'CURIOUSITY LIST' for electronic sciences ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 03:00:03 pm »
On that matter of your picture - what is the perfect number and size of leafs for a tree, so that as little as possible of light passes (i.e. a maximum of energy generated), but also as little as energy is needed to grow those leafs.
Please report back in about 2-3 weeks ;)

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 03:09:39 pm »
30 seconds with google gave:
FOR DUMMIES® is a registered trademark of Wiley Publishing, Inc.

More details at: https://trademarks.justia.com/854/10/for-85410466.html

You can write a 'for dummies' book, but if you use that phrase in the title and want it styled as a 'for dummies' series book, your only option to publish it legally is through Wiley Publishing, Inc.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 03:14:05 pm by Ian.M »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 06:48:33 pm »
Haenk:
   Thanks for question. I've been noticing your good posts, around a bunch of (other) threads!

That's a complex question, regarding TREE micro-environment.  Without going too much time, I surmise that other factors come in to play.  For example, if the tree leaf-canopy was solid, perhaps a more muddy surface would occur, right underneath.  With more holes for light,  it's possible the immediate ground circle can become choked with weeds.
   You have air flow vs. mold growth. Also don't forget this is all dynamic: Healthy tree grows faster, likely, this closing off the light reaching shade canopy area on ground. Heck: leaves block each other,  and perhaps some interactions happen
   Without too much investment, I'm thinking, 'armchair style' speculating:  What's the current state of using models in that sort of question...

Originally, I did have an optical / physics question:
I think it was about "why does it look like that: fairly consistent circles of light ?".
   I assume it's, maybe, point sources, from leaves very close to each other, in path of light rays... I bet there is statistics involved.  This process, and mode(s) of thinking, reminds me of how important it was, to hear (biographical) stories of Einstein and 'Thought Experiments"...
   Yes, I've pondered that,  which was why I had snapped a photo or two, or that 'mottled' light pattern.
I think, originally, I was CURIOUS, why such a uniform set of (diffracted) light circles.
   Whew. I've actually, often, had to 'turn down' or otherwise moderate that human curiousity,  while I seek ways to better our existence.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 07:00:11 pm »
Thanks, IAN:
   I bought 'Android for Dummies' with specific intent for improving my grasp of cellphone screen ICONs etc.
Things like 'settings' and SPAM block gets my goat, fast, when I'm 'flailing about', trying to decipher what
   "Squiggle~Triangle-Squiggle~¥" means.
   But instead, I got more ADVERTISEMENT, for explaining, marketing more of their brand...
   Monopoly BRAND.
   (People sometimes question why my attitude so bad!)

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 01:38:56 am »
The light pattern is, in fact, a series of images of the sun itself.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 07:59:49 am »
If you look into the sky, that sun up there isn't a dot but rather a circle (can't prove that right now, as we have uniformly grey sky with wind and rain coming from all directions - and of course no sunlight for days now). I.e. your light source is not "perfect".

So you have a lot of imperfect projections with washed out borders:

Sun   > Q <   projection of leafless hole

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 11:06:01 pm »
Uhhhh, hey:
   While certain other priorities nag, answers, (I didn't think I was asking, directly about tree doing 'PINHOLE CAMERA'), answers came, on their own.  Like I've said, answers from other people's perspective help 'resolve' partially, AND, generate some new questions.
   With that in mind:
   Am I right, assuming that the reason those pinhole images, of the SUN are somewhat uniform size, is that the projected (and upside down) image size relates to the distance, ground to pinhole.?
   And, supposing a huge sunspot cluster would show up, although upside down, projected on the patio, there?
   That helps answer one of my un-spoken questions, as to why the uniform sizes.

...It helps, to take a (coffee) break, and stop to smell the everyday physics!

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 09:40:02 am »
It relates more to the distance from the Sun to the "lens" (pinhole) in this case, as the image size will be related to the ratio between the object, lens, and image plane. Changing the distance from the lens to the image plane anywhere on earth doesn't affect that ratio very much.

If you moved the lens to a point halfway between the Sun and Earth, the image would be full sized...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 12:57:36 am »
You can see that the images are of the sun especially clearly during a solar eclipse. Then the dappled light on the ground under trees will become a series of annular rings. They take the shape of the sun, not of the leafless holes, because the aperture shape doesn't impact in-focus images. It's the same effect as in a pinhole camera, and why cameras can use apertures with very few blades (just 2 blades in most Point-and-Shoot cameras) without blurring the image. The aperture shape only effects out-of-focus images, which is described by the Japanese term 'bokeh'.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 08:23:47 am »
The light pattern is, in fact, a series of images of the sun itself.
Username figures.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2022, 11:16:56 pm »
Meaning of 'auteur':

Scanning an older newspaper, I'm reading, sadly, about passing, of R.I.P., Peter Bogdanovich, in January.
What's the meaning, when article mentions: 'Auteur'.

auteur:
   A filmmaker whose personal influence and artistic control over a movie are so great that the filmmaker is regarded as the AUTHOR ...of the MOVIE...

WOW !

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 01:12:04 pm »
Not to be confused with an "Artiste" (although if the shoe fits...)

In the French film industry, which has been pretty well developed since the beginnings of the medium, there are five "authors" of a film: one each for the treatment, the screenplay, the shooting script, the direction, and the music. Sometimes the same person is the author in all five senses, although for most films of any scale at all, a professional composer is the author of the music. It's useful to take the French system as an example because it recognizes that a film's director has major authorial rights to keep his work intact. He can actually prevent the film from being disseminated in a cut-down version.

In film criticism there was a movement called the Auteur Theory which drew attention to the director's role in shaping all aspects of the viewer's experience. It is why we often speak of "X's Y" where X is the director and Y is the film, even though we know a film is the product of many hands. It has often been difficult for directors to keep control over their films when they lack legal protection (as in most countries) from the studios or financiers controlling the purse strings. An example would be Erich von Stroheim's Greed (1924): the director's cut was 42 reels (10 hours) and left audiences (only a handful who saw the unreleased prints) awestruck. The studio re-cut the film to 10 reels (2.5 hours) to the point it made barely any sense.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 07:14:39 pm »
Great, but I'm wondering about any book adaptation,
like, please see 'Fear and Loathing in Los Vegas', a popular film, dripping with sarcasm. Hunter Thomson the book's author...With a snarky twist, as that film seems centered around that iconic author...complete with the 'Film documenting the filming of an adapted book...
   But, of course, too many 'nested loops' in any structure can get ludicrous. That's an 'Engineering Joke'.  I'd say, maybe, that's a deliberately RIDICULOUS movie, but entertaining diversion (from stress).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2022, 07:21:06 pm »
   Wanted to add, coincidentally this is 'International Women's Day'.
   About which, my point is, just heard that the male star, of 1970's TV SHOW ' Threes Company' was to receive royalties from many years of re-play...
The two female stars did not (if I got news right).
   THATs just not right...how much did other show producers get, there ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf