Author Topic: Electric car with solar panels and moss inside  (Read 5501 times)

Offline FidTopic starter

• Contributor
Electric car with solar panels and moss inside
« on: February 10, 2019, 04:44:16 pm »
They claim the panels can produce up to 30km of range per day under ideal conditions.
Without doing the math, my guess is 5-7km, possibly less averaged for a whole year in typical European conditions.
Thoughts?

https://sonomotors.com/sion.html/

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Electric car with solar panels and moss inside
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:10:19 pm »
  "ideal conditions"?    Do you mean like operating in a complete vacuum so that there's no drag from air resistance, zero gravity, and 24 hours of sunlight each and every day and never any overcast days, no stops and starts and just continues running and at speeds no to exceed 3 MPH in order to minimize internal frictional losses? Oh and probably only on a 20degree down slope.

I've seen a lot of devices that should work under "ideal" conditions but that don't under any real world conditions.

I'd need a lot more details before I would buy or invest in anything like that.

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:15:28 pm »
They forgot to mention the moss that grows on the tyres during the time it takes to accumulate any useful charge via its solar panels.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:12:16 pm »
6km per day is enough for some people

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:52:38 pm »
6km per day is enough for some people
No need for a car then. 6km is below the required daily walking distance.

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 07:11:32 pm »
Even if it was only 6 km, that's better than nothing. Especially if the car is just parked somewhere outside for a longer time, it would not only prevent deep-discharge of the battery, but actually enable you to drive home or at least to the next charging station.

The following users thanked this post: Pineapple Dan

Offline Blocco

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 12:09:41 pm »
The problem is that even +6km is not guaranteed so cannot be relied on, and during winter I'd be surprised if the output from the panels adds more than a few meters to the range. It makes far more sense to spend the money on a bigger battery than to fit solar panels.

Offline MarkR42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 01:55:11 pm »
I wonder if, say in winter in Europe, if you charge it with 150km of range, whether after 10 days, it would have more range without the solar panels, if you simply remove the panels and their associated electronics to save weight?

That's to say nothing of the cost of the vehicle in the first place.

Maybe they should just supply the vehicle and the solar panels+electronics separately, and then you wouldn't need to take them with you everywhere.

Offline JoeBee

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 10:10:51 am »
In the last few days this car was again in German TV media.
I thought myself: How effective could this be with all that wrong angled and small panels. They say at max 1.2 KW and it take a week to charge the car.  :palm:
I want to start a thread here, but found out that this stupid idea is still around since 2.5 years.  :-DD

How much easier and cheaper and more effective would it be, to build a carport with some panels on the roof and recharge from there.
And your car is in the shadow instead of parking it in the full sun at purpose.  ;)

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:48 am »
If someone has the luxury of a garden or driveway where they can plug in a car then yeah they probably won't be rushing for this.

However it actually sounds like an ideal fit for some people. It would suit me very well.  I live in the middle of a decent sized city. I only have on-street parking so I can't plug in anywhere. Because I live in a decent sized city, I almost never need to use the car. I walk and cycle everywhere to get almost everything I need and to work.  I use the car probably once or twice a month. Either to go 2 mins round the corner to the supermarket and buy heavy things like cat litter, or to drive out of the city to visit people. When I do drive out of the city, I am always driving to places where I would be able to plug in while parked.

The car would sit quite happily in my street for weeks at a time slowly charging and that would be absolutely fine.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 10:31:25 am »
Solar powered car is such a stupid idea in general. If I can choose, I choose to park in the shade, so the car is not 50°C when I get in.
And its so stupidly expensive to integrate these into cars, it is so much more economic to place it on a roof, and plug in the car.

And yes, I have a Prius with Solar roof. It drives a fan to cool the car, when I am forced to park under the sun.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 12:47:35 pm »
And what if i want a white car?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline M0HZH

• Regular Contributor
    • QRPblog
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 02:44:58 pm »
So 1.2kW of solar power (although I doubt that it can achieve close to that, it's probably just installed power) can generate about 3-4kWh of energy per day, on average. The lowest spec Tesla Model 3 has a ~1.5kWh/day phantom discharge and a 54kWh battery, so to fully charge something similar from flat (including charging losses) would take about 60 days on average ... assuming the car is never parked in the shade. But the added weight probably reduces the range more than it helps, and not so sure if the added cost can be compensated by the "free" energy it generates.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 04:16:08 pm »
Solar powered car is such a stupid idea in general. If I can choose, I choose to park in the shade, so the car is not 50°C when I get in.
And its so stupidly expensive to integrate these into cars, it is so much more economic to place it on a roof, and plug in the car.

That's for sure.

But who cares, a startup using solar panels, electric cars and some greenish narrative can get millions of dollars of funding. So hey, why not?

That was fun: https://www.theonion.com/revolutionary-new-driverless-car-requires-zero-function-1847048521

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 12:36:58 am »
Someone has bothered to do the maths on this:

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 01:12:49 am »
If I can choose, I choose to park in the shade, so the car is not 50°C when I get in.

I think y'all may be missing something: this car will charge (albeit very slowly) when on the move. Tricky to do that with panels on a garage or cables across the sidewalk. Might not be a lot of juice, but it's free (as much as any solar is) and could make the difference between crawling home in the car and walking. Or listening to the radio while you wait for the breakdown truck.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 04:59:46 pm »
If I can choose, I choose to park in the shade, so the car is not 50°C when I get in.

I think y'all may be missing something: this car will charge (albeit very slowly) when on the move.

Absolutely... not. Well, let's elaborate a little bit though. The panels would "charge" the batteries while the car is moving *only* if the net power generated by the panels exceeds the power needed to make the car move. That's physics 101. A basic raw calculation shows us that this is pretty unlikely to happen unless the car is actually not moving, or the car is going down a road with some downward slope (in which case you'll additionally get charging current from the motors (when "regenerative braking" is implemented), which is likely to dominate any current from the solar panels.

So, while on the move, solar panels are not likely to charge anything on average, but they are going to decrease the energy consumption from the batteries. So you'll get a bit more mileage. But again, with simple figures, we can see that it's not going to be all that significant in most use cases. And... of course it adds significant cost and could make any repair in case of bodywork damage pretty darn expensive.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 05:09:26 pm »
So 1.2kW of solar power (although I doubt that it can achieve close to that, it's probably just installed power) can generate about 3-4kWh of energy per day, on average. The lowest spec Tesla Model 3 has a ~1.5kWh/day phantom discharge and a 54kWh battery, so to fully charge something similar from flat (including charging losses) would take about 60 days on average ... assuming the car is never parked in the shade. But the added weight probably reduces the range more than it helps, and not so sure if the added cost can be compensated by the "free" energy it generates.

I guess it could be arguably useful in eliminating the phantom discharge, that might be nice for people who drive infrequently and live somewhere that doesn't allow them to recharge while parked at home. It could also potentially power the climate control to keep the car cool in in the event you have nowhere shady to park it on a sunny day. So maybe not completely useless, but certainly not revolutionary and it's not going to meaningfully add to the range. Propelling a car just requires way too much energy.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 06:06:51 pm »
The panels would "charge" the batteries while the car is moving *only* if the net power generated by the panels exceeds the power needed to make the car move.

Pedantically, yes.

Practically, it is providing power that goes somewhere, whether that's to charge the battery or reduce the amount taken from the battery by the motor isn't relevant. It will make the batteries last that little bit longer.

[Edit: paraphrased to be nice]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 06:53:13 pm by dunkemhigh »

Offline Stuart Coyle

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 04:25:56 am »
And what if i want a white car?

As Henry Ford said, "You can have any color you like as long as it is black".
That attitude worked for him.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 05:12:53 pm »
The panels would "charge" the batteries while the car is moving *only* if the net power generated by the panels exceeds the power needed to make the car move.

Pedantically, yes.

Practically, it is providing power that goes somewhere, whether that's to charge the battery or reduce the amount taken from the battery by the motor isn't relevant. It will make the batteries last that little bit longer.

[Edit: paraphrased to be nice]

It's not being pedantic in the least. It's about what words mean. You exactly said it would charge when on the move. And that's the point people here were missing.

I think everybody was fully aware the panels would provide some energy to the motors while on the move, so this point was obvious. Now as some of us have pointed out, the collected energy from the panels is likely to be pretty small compared to what the car requires to move, and even compared to regenerative breaking as I mentioned. So if you add this to the cost and related issues, it just looks like a pretty bad idea.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 05:21:58 pm »
It's not being pedantic in the least.

You're quite right. It was being overly pedantic.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2021, 09:44:22 am »
A stupid idea stays a stupid idea, it's that simple.
And: Good luck finding a cheap repair/replacement when the idiot in the next parking lot left a permanent impression on you (and your car), probably shattering the cell.

Offline viperidae

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2021, 06:42:25 am »
If you live in a city with only street parking, you're going to have much less solar power available due to shadows from the buildings.
If you think it will give you more range while driving in the sun, that's only going to help if the added weight and compromises made to fit the panels resulting in more drag don't let the benefit.
It will reduce range at night.
You'll need to keep it clean too.
An average car only covers about 8m2 of ground area, that 8kw of peak solar irradiation, so maybe 2kw of electricity. Take off the area required for windows, wheels, etc. 1.2kw is generous.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2021, 09:30:15 am »
Take off the area required for windows, wheels, etc.

Wheels? On the roof?

Ah, you're from NZ :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf