Products > Dodgy Technology

Element 14....

(1/2) > >>

peteb2:
So OK, i don't like to use some one's platform as in Dave's Forum but i have just have gotta ask. There was once upon a time that i was able to order parts, special tools or components etc before 1600hrs on a business day and wham the things arrived next day, air-freighted out of Australia over night to Auckland NZ. Sure, there was a shipping cost but hey, we NEEDED the parts and i might add the price of those components tended to be on the high side (but we absolutely accepted that because the company ALWAYS HAD THE DARN THINGS IN-STOCK)... It was very rare if ever that something wasn't on hand, often because it was popular, on sale or Element 14 had simply run out of it. This was their core business, the amazing service....

It was a hoot for any tech or engineer on the development or service/maintenance side of things because you were seen to be turning round that sudden unexpected failure, that sudden need for repair found at maintenance time or that proof of principle confirmation before committed production at short notice project... My halo often copped a right polishing for having something fixed and back in production in under a day from the Management...

This is where i have to now ask the question WHAT'S HAPPENED???? The prices on everything remains up there often eye-wateringly-so (which i accept if the thing was IN-STOCK, that i'm buying only a couple of) for an expedited delivery but why the horrendous delay in every delivery? Do not get me started on trying to buy anything in an aerosol can or for that mater anything liquid...

I'm fully aware there are specific safety rules airlines now have in place and i bet shipping by air anything by way of the USA has it's issues related to current political climates since 911, even for purely transport liners (planes not carrying passengers) and i accept living in a tiny country down the bottom of the world a long way from anywhere but REALLY?

Of course some will offer that i should buy from someone else and yes the prices are way, way less than Element 14 but invariably i find minimum purchase is 200+ pieces of that item because they are supplying the production industry and we'd just end up trowing away 199 devices!

Anyone else in the same boat with Element 14 of whom i might add were once an INCREDIBLE outfit or is it just where i live (and yes i might just be because i have been living under a stone and i'm not aware of their changes to their business practice)?

I do say that if we have to wait weeks and weeks for some little component and i have to keep trotting out the "no spares yet" excuse to my Management (who are not very impressed) that the prices of their parts be reduced right down just like any other supplier whose going to take half a month and longer to finally actually deliver.

Anyone else with such experience or is it across all such components / industry suppliers?

Brumby:
This is the wrong sub forum for such a topic.

You are complaining about delivery delays.  This board is for shysters and charlatans peddling bullshit to the gullible.

jmelson:
Yup, a BIG problem.  Newark (Element 14) and Digi-Key used to try to keep some minimum amount of everything in their catalog in stock.  Now, they couldn't care less.
Stuff I order a couple month supply of at a time, suddenly they show up as zero stock, 6 months lead time!  ARRGH!

Jon

JolyGoodDay:
Not saying this is the reason, but have you considered:

1: Increase in competition
2: Increase in direct purchasing
3: Increase in the amount and variation of products

clucas:
If you think Element 14 are bad then don’t  go to RS components.  RS have bigger supply problems for singular components and more often only have bulk packs in stock here in Aus. Obviously selling bulk is a better financial return.
A case in point.. I needed two mosfets for a repair and contacted RS only because they are more local to me than Element 14. No singular items in stock @ $6.27each but a pack of 25 available @ $58.00. So instead of spending $12.54 for two they try to force a higher spend for the convenience of being in stock in this country. Element 14 on the other hand had singular in stock and available for immediate pick up. The price is the same. Not the first time this has happened with RS but doubt I'll ever bother with them again. I'd rather travel the extra distance for the better service. Another difference in Elements favour is orders are processed prior to pick up including payment and received directly from the warehouse door without delay. RS trade counter take an absolute age to serve and then source your order and always appear to be sloth like in operation like they just can’t be bothered.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version