Author Topic: EMP Protection for Your Car!  (Read 6355 times)

Offline ElywaltonTopic starter

EMP Protection for Your Car!
« on: January 19, 2023, 02:15:16 pm »
Here is some incredible new technology for EMP protection...  Note it is even "listed by USA Homeland Security!"   :-DD

https://www.empshield.com/product/vehicle/?utm_medium=paid&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=car&hsa_acc=72415278&hsa_cam=6129044492842&hsa_grp=6144166346842&hsa_ad=6177673024042&hsa_src=fb&hsa_net=facebook&hsa_ver=3

I would love for Dave to take a shot at this on Youtube!  Just sayin'  8)

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: EMP Protection for Your Car!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 02:28:33 pm »
Well lets see what they have to say about that.

To: SeeSay@hq.dhs.gov
Hello, I have come across this advert about EMP shields.
https://www.empshield.com/product/vehicle/
Listing:
"Next Generation EMP Protection With Military Certified Testing.
"Listed by the Department of Homeland Security."

Do you have an affiliation with them and is this true or false about it being listed by yourselves?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07XC8G7LZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewopt_sr?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar
Marten Thieman 2.0 out of 5 stars
This is BS
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on April 22, 2021
To protect you vehicle from any of the listed protections you will need to take all the Electronics in your car and put them in a Faraday cage. An EMP Will destroy the computer in your car as well as stereos and any other technology residing in you vehicle.

This won't do anything for you.
31 people found this helpful
In that case 2 stars is too generous given that one star is the lowest.

Melanie C 1.0 out of 5 stars
As with ionizing radiation, few understand what an EMP is - and this WON'T protect!
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on February 18, 2022
As a mechanical engineer that has worked with EMP devices, I can tell you, first-hand, that EMP is not a 'direct effect' event, like touching an electrical outlet and being shocked. It is a 'disbursed event', happening much like you see a rainstorm...but at the electron level. This is why 'actual EMP protection' is cage-encompassing. If you took a cell phone, and suspended it in a 1/4" welded wire cage (think 'rabbit cage') by rubber bands, then grounded the cage to 'earth', the EMP cascade would follow the lowest impedance path to ground...it would 'circle the cage' and 'avoid the high impedance path through the phone'. Military applications of this are often seen on aircraft, where the fuselage is aluminum. Seldom noticed, there is a 'grounding strap' (pure copper, much like a cable) that is deployed before landing. It 'drags on the ground' before the tires even touch down. This allows for the ionic charge to dissipate to ground first...and to attempt to disembark the craft without this 'grounding' can and possibly will lead to sufficient electrical shock to cause death. While this deals with 'static charge', the same forces and 'charge direction' occurs much the same way, with the same structural components...only isolation capacitance and diodes are used to prevent 'complete system charges' from building, and allows for 'electronic isolation' combined with 'frame caging' to prevent EMP from affecting 'otherwise-sensitive' components.
NONE OF THIS IS BUILT INTO A CONSUMER VEHICLE! So, when you 'wire in a capacitor' or diode to your car, even when grounded, it may assist in dissipating 'static charges', but there are no 'EMP cages' protecting your alternator, starter, ECM, etc. on that car! They are not protected. Sure, this device is tested...but as you know they did NOT test it on your specific model, they CANNOT ATTEST to the fact that it will provide ANY EMP to your car...simply that the device itself is a cage, with capacitance ability and directional grounding, to dissipate FOR ITSELF (in otherwords, it is protected...but what you mounted it to is not, unless it was ALREADY EMP CAGED!)...
Does this work? Their tests show it does...TO PROTECT ITSELF. Can it protect your 2010 Camaro, or 2012 Mustang or 2018 Silverado? Who knows? They don't...they didn't test it PER MODEL APPLICATION! (the answer is no, by the way...it won't). Caveat Emptor...buyer beware...
104 people found this helpful
Mark G 1.0 out of 5 stars
As a Computer Engineer I was skeptical...and correct is a fake product
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on November 20, 2022
Until I saw the explanation from a Mechanical Engineer (in the reviews)…this product sells false sense of security .

I saw this device and I was mind blown. Think about it...the military spends trillions of dollars in hardening their devices, infratructures, etc. If a tiny $300 device could solve the EMP risks they would not be selling to the public… and Lockheed and GDIT wouldve already bought them out haha. Im a veteran and well aware of contract requirements. MIL-SPEC is NOT a high standard is just a "good enough" for military applications. Dont be fooled by these standards theyre nothing exceeding typical engineering standards. A solar X level flare would not be stopped by a $300 device. If it sounds too good to be true then it likely is.

Special thanks to the Mechanical Engineer below for explaining the physics behind this.
7 people found this helpful

What amazes me:
4.6 out of 5 stars
264 global ratings
5 star     81%
4 star     11%
3 star     3%
2 star        0%
1 star     5%

264/100=2.64 for 1%
(81*2.64)+(11*2.64)+(3*3) = 251 people fooled into this.
(5*2.64)= 13 people who are wise or wisened up to it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 02:52:42 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 02:50:36 pm »
Come on, this is "veteran owned business", the product has been featured on FOX, it's even 100% American made and states "patend pending".

https://healingpicks.com/does-emp-shield-really-work/

(Educated guess: there is just one 12V cap in there, plus a resistor plus a LED. Should start my own business, I guess...)

Edit:
Ooops, my bad:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/news/emp-shield-scam/
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 02:53:07 pm by Haenk »

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 08:27:33 am »
Pbut they were soon being fitted as a standard feature in the car.

LOL. Just like driving around with a huge sticker on your car "Rip me off, I'm stooopid".  :-+

Offline MadScientist

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 09:52:38 am »
In a nuclear explosion my non functioning car will be the least of my problems
EE's: We use silicon to make things  smaller!

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 01:52:35 pm »
BTW, you could have cut the URL before the first '?' : https://www.empshield.com/product/vehicle
(no need to carry on all the id trackers you got via the ad on your Facebook(?))

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 06:49:48 pm »
 like to see a teardown of the band name-Shield  plastic electrical box. how hard can it be to look inside it!
show us the electronics or is it potted? why has nobody opened one?   anonymously if you like.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 07:15:29 pm »
To reliably protect against EMP, replace all the semiconductors with Nuvistors or other appropriate vacuum tubes.
http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-150.htm
For 12 V operation, try the 8056  https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/8/8056.pdf
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 07:34:18 pm by TimFox »

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 11:37:13 am »
Here is some incredible new technology for EMP protection...  Note it is even "listed by USA Homeland Security!"   :-DD

https://www.empshield.com/product/vehicle/?utm_medium=paid&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=car&hsa_acc=72415278&hsa_cam=6129044492842&hsa_grp=6144166346842&hsa_ad=6177673024042&hsa_src=fb&hsa_net=facebook&hsa_ver=3

I would love for Dave to take a shot at this on Youtube!  Just sayin'  8)

Glad someone started this thread.  Not a survivalist and I came across this product while chasing a rabbit.

I WENT to the report they cite and found no mention of their product.  Maybe I missed it, but that report is all about hardening important infrastructure.

Aside from that, I wonder how they tested it in real world conditions and how I get my money back if it needs to be used and fails?

Sounds like a perfect business model.
Regards,

Dewey

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 09:21:35 pm »
Nice 228 kA rating.
I'm sure the tiny leads in the picture will not care at all.
After all, when you are a ball of hot plasma what do you care....

Probably just three largish 30$ MOVs in a box (I'm being generous).
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 10:38:07 pm »
Wires:

+12V
 -12V
 GND

This thing would have to be so tolerant of miswiring :D  But I guess resistors, capacitors and inductors won't care if you size them right.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf