Author Topic: Foxess inverter ethernet data to PC data and other monitoring LIE (SOLVED)  (Read 20809 times)

Offline usus

Re: Foxess inverter ethernet data to PC data and other monitoring LIE (MODBUS)
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2023, 01:29:08 pm »
Hello for the first time on this forum.

@MrMobodies - nice job done to document Fox ess inverter.
What's your opinion for using this inverter  with a car battery.
In the future can you make a capture of communication between invertor and battery management unit?

Thanks.

Offline MrMobodiesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2023, 05:22:49 pm »
Using this inverter with car batteries?
I am not sure if you can do that directly I don't think you can and seeing how there is controller between battery controllers.
Maybe reverse engineer it and design a whole load of things.

In Nodered you can see the communication coming from the inverter on the right panel but I am sure how to make it display with  the Homeassistant package. All I see are sensors and the results.

When you say car battery? Do you mean a car charger to charge up an electric car.
We had one installed with the understanding that I wanted all communication switched off. They provided a Wifi only. I think maybe possible as I have seen with an ethernet module that goes inside but I did search and found nothing about any support Modbus, it does have a built in webserver that directs you to joining it up to WIFI and connect to internet which is a Nono. So I don't I am missing anything there.

If you mean the communication between the inverter and HV2600 lithium battery storage controller and batteries:
It would be nice to see the readings, like the individual cell voltage and current of the module and by module and especially during charging and discharging but I am not willing to play around with it especially if it involves daisy chaining something between the battery and controller or between controller and inverter to capture the communication. If anything goes wrong and they find out that could invalidate the warranty.

It doesn't seem to take a lot to cause it to halt for a while when adding other communications like what the other commenters have mentioned.

It does have a DC cable that goes from the battery controller to battery module then next modue  and back to controller. So it might possible to find some DC clamps (Might even be an addon for Homeassistant as a sensor) to do some readings from battery controller and battery modules.

My opinion on the inverter:
It wasn't my choice I didn't pay for it but I didn't have a preference either at the time.

Pros:
-I like the metal enclosures.
-Ethernet Port with Modbus support  :-+
-Appears to have a built in battery backup inside the unit so display is still on during a power cut. (Cons: how do I reset it when it is a fault.)
-Backup battery output (I was told they are working on an isolated earthing solution to allow it in the uk.)
-LCD screen shows good amount of
-Opensource/community kind of support for local datalogging appliance Homeassistant.
-Appears like decent battery management
--Trickles about 50W when it is down to 20% and stops at 15%
--When it gets to cold temperatures like below 0 the batteries start charging as a mechanism to prevent damage. This is something the manufacturer sets it to do. I don't know how effective it is. It is not in the documents but I found out about why it was doing this in the early hours of the morning through the contractor/installer who spoke to Foxess.

Cons:
-Dome buttons on LCD screen aren't great.
-No built in webserver webpage to display the sensor readings and logs via the ethernet port.
-No dedicated local lan monitoring appliance like the Sunnywebbox
-Manufacturer's lying and condescending attitude towards the customer regarding the installer/ datalogging and monitoring.
-Bullshit wifi "smart" stick nonsense addon" promoted as the only possible means of monitoring and datalogging (according to manufacturer) that depends on, their webhosting and your internet connection operating at all times (the utter stupidity where it has to upload the stats just to download it again and the delays if any despite the inverter being meters away.)

I am not saying it is great. It is working but as this is new from a Chinese manufacturer that I never heard of before as far as I know I still have my doubts. Things can change I just don't know how this will wear and tear in the future.

We had a quote and I am so pleased we didn't go for it and it was actually one of our first quotes from this local company. They wanted to install a Solaredge inverter, I think it was a HD WAVE and this was back near 2020. Now the brochures this gentleman was showing me (all with Solaredge stuff) had pictures of inverters with screens. If it didn't I'd be questioning with skepticism right there and say no forget it but you don't expect them not to have screens in this day and age for convenience. At the time I didn't know over 2 years before that that Solaredge started to manufacturer their existing inverters without screens that depends on phones to make them work.

But imagine the shock if the Solaredge inverters turned up without the screen (as opposed to the brochures they showed us) and required a phone and internet to make it start working I'd go absolutely mad.

Unless they have old stock but seeing how they are failing so soon (according to trustpilot and other websites about the failures and delay on replacements) I'd be in for a nasty surprise and shock.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:34:56 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline usus

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2023, 09:37:54 pm »
Wow didn't expected so long response.
While I proceeds your post check this:

Hope this will help you understand my question.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:44:55 pm by usus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2023, 09:41:02 am »
Looking at Youtube Video: Custom battery packs for Fronius Gen24 [part4]  I see you want to make a custom battery pack/battery system for the Foxess? inverter but the Youtube video shows a Fronius inverter.
I wouldn't know how to integrate it.

Please do share if you have an success.

Offline usus

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2023, 04:51:10 pm »
I think you may be intested in this :)

Offline texamicomio

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2023, 11:50:24 pm »
Hi @Vladimirus,
I connected the Foxess H1 inverter to my home LAN and I was able to communicate via MODBUS protocol without any problems. I'm developing a widget for Android to view real-time data directly from the smartphone's home screen. This morning, for the first time, the inverter didn't get the IP from the DHCP. I tried setting the static ip and resetting the DHCP in the inverter menu but I couldn't connect in any way.
Were you able to solve your problem?

"Settings -> Communication -> Ethernet -> DHCH -> Enable -> Set"

After I do the above, the IP address appears and everything works once again...

I attach the preview of my widget.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 11:55:01 pm by texamicomio »

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2023, 11:07:34 pm »
Hi @Vladimirus,
I connected the Foxess H1 inverter to my home LAN and I was able to communicate via MODBUS protocol without any problems. I'm developing a widget for Android to view real-time data directly from the smartphone's home screen
Is this directly or from Homeassistant?

If more than one connection attempt is made and (disconnecting and reconnecting too fast) it will lock out for a while and eventually restart in like 10 to 20 minutes.

I'd connect the inverter directly to a separate network card or USB network dongle to the homeassistant applice and set a static ip on that and the inverter.

At first I had it connected to a switch (with DHCP by router) sharing a few virtual machines and I remember it kept on locking out and restarting as well. I am not fully sure but I suspect that could have something to do with broadcast traffic.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:21:31 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline texamicomio

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2023, 08:37:00 pm »
Hi MrMobodies
I connected the inverter directly to my home LAN (through a switch and then into the router). With a scan I found the IP address and connected with a free app (Modbus TCP). I made a lot of connections and developed my own widget. This worked for 3 days then the inverter stopped connecting. Could there have been an update? I noticed that the settings menu has changed.
I would like to reset the inverter.
I don't think the problem is LAN traffic.

Thank you for your answer.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2023, 03:48:26 am »
I think from my experience I had with it that it had something LAN traffic. I can't be sure as I don't want produce the steps and cause any major problems with it as it is working. Nothing has happened so far. Before I crimped the cables, first time I connected to a Draytek acting as a wireless bridge to another Draytek then into Pfsense (vlan in it's own) doing the DHCP, with one computer and it was fine. You see I want it on the lan as well so I can monitor it with the snmp monitor, Dude, program but if it is going to do that then a no go.

As soon as I put it on a switch or vlan with other stuff it would just cut out randomly and a lot. It would not work consistently. I connected it through a USB network dongle when I was experimenting with Rednode and renaming the Solax registers to one off a Foxess and got that to work. For days it was fine and with Homeassistant when I tested that too. A week later as soon as I connected back up to a different switch on a different Vlan in the cabinet doing the virtual machines the same thing happened and it would stop. So I just left it plugged into it's own network card since September and it is fine. The USB network seems pretty stable for what it is. The only change I have made is moved the appliance from a laptop to a minipc.

You do not have a "smart wifi" stick installed?

According to one commentor here it seems that when that is plugged it would cut out or something like that if I understand correctly?

Also I was told by Foxess it would auto update the inverter through the "Smart wifi stick when connected to their website/cloud whatever which is a big nono for me. I want something like that left alone without any interference from the manufacturer behind my back.

Is "Remote access" still there in the installer menu?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 03:53:04 am by MrMobodies »

Offline texamicomio

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2023, 10:56:19 am »
Hi MrMobodies,
the "remote access" menu item is still available in the menu and I've a "smart wifi" stick installed.
You described well what happened to you and I understand what you mean.
Perhaps my problem could have been caused by a remote software update after I reported an incorrect behavior of the inverter to assistance: at night there was a continuous noise from the relays.
In my opinion a remote update was done and now the noise of the relays is no longer heard but access with modbus is no longer allowed.

Before the update, the connection via LAN with MODBUS protocol work without problems.
After the update the LAN port has been disabled because the IP address is not even configured (neither with DHCP nor with static IP configuration).

I'm contacting technical assistance to ask for information. If I don't solve the problem I become dissatisfied with the FoxESS brand.  >:(

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2023, 06:00:33 pm »
Before the update, the connection via LAN with MODBUS protocol work without problems.
With the wifi stick and connection to the website.

"Modbus no longer allowed" I hope not. It is wrong for them to *advertise* a feature in the manual and do what they like through the firmware updates. This is why I don't trust any update until I know exactly what it is going to do. I expect that once it is working for it to be left alone or you'd find them interfering with the product in ways that can affect you.

After the update the LAN port has been disabled because the IP address is not even configured (neither with DHCP nor with static IP configuration).
A little unclear, can you configure these things or not?

So if set to DHCP, routers logs show it does not request an IP address.
If set to static ethernet port does not light up?

I'm contacting technical assistance to ask for information. If I don't solve the problem I become dissatisfied with the FoxESS brand.  >:(

Let see what bullshit you may encounter from the manufacturer:
1. The ethernet port on H1 is a reserved port :bullshit:, function not ready to use.
2. Not supported (We don't care). Okay put it back to the way it was.

3. Monitoring only possible through the website.  :bullshit:

Joke: 4. The mass majority don't use on site monitoring as they are not tek savvy users. They naturally burn very stupid with very a low iq level and naturally low abilities and can't comprehend the amazing mysterious things that us developers get up to every day which is extremely challenging on a daily basis. They need to be following strict instructions set by us, the brightest minds of society or they loose the warranty. Exposing them to this raw information is not good for us and may sabotage the advanced way of thinking set by us advanced thinkers for the mass majority!  :bullshit:

Joke: 5. You shouldn't be messing around in there. It is very complicated than you can ever imagine. Never mind how it works none of your business. You can cause viruses to appear which will lay bugs that will crawl around and cause problem and blow up your inverter and it will infect your neighbours wifi and it will be all your fault and will void your warranty and we can't have that.

Sorry that is the sort of manner I was spoken too throughout my younger years and some people still try it on just like the first one which was from the manufacturer which reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, when the dog opened the curtain and the man doing the frightening things said "Don't pay attention to the man behind that curtain."

Hopefully they may actually be helpful this time and fix it or offer a firmware downgrade or it might be something very simple.

I had another thought:
In my opinion a remote update was done and now the noise of the relays is no longer heard but access with modbus is no longer allowed.
after I reported an incorrect behavior of the inverter to assistance:

That was normally when mine was reset after freezing, the relays click, and I observed that happening a lot when it was connected to the vlan with other stuff on there.  It doesn't do it anymore.

Did you tell them your plans that you are running an in house appliance for datalogging as stated in the manual?
I'd confirm whether they'd disabled it intentionally and why? and whether they can re enabled it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 04:50:51 am by MrMobodies »

Offline texamicomio

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2023, 10:30:13 pm »
Hi MrMobodies,
I quote everything you wrote in your last post.
I try to answer your questions:

A little unclear, can you configure these things or not?

I tried these configurations:
  • DHCP enabled
  • DHCP enabled but with static assignment from the router
  • DHCP disabled and manual IP address configuration into the inverter

NO WORK!

This evening I reset the inverter but the behavior remained the same.

So if set to DHCP, routers logs show it does not request an IP address.

I tried looking up the IP address with both ping scan and router ARP table (both static and dynamic).

If set to static ethernet port does not light up?

The switch port light is on and flashing like the others ports.

Did you tell them your plans that you are running an in house appliance for datalogging as stated in the manual?
I'd confirm whether they'd disabled it intentionally and why? and whether they can re enabled it.

They didn't answer my phone today. I will try again tomorrow hoping to speak with an operator capable of understanding my request.

I am very disappointed because a feature mentioned in the brochure has been removed after I did a great job on the widget that I want to distribute for free to all users of FoxESS inverters, although I will never recommend it to anyone.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2023, 02:25:59 am »
So with DHCP: no IP address is requested from router. Nothing on router logs.
Static IP: No ping response or modbus port open on port scan.

Silly question: Is this with the "smart wifi stick" removed?
I know you said it worked in addition before.
Can you try removing the "smart wifi stick?", and ethernet, wait for some time and reconnect the ethernet on it's own?

I was having another look at your widget:

Very nice.

Does start means to start the program fully?

Here is the original firmware version that came with my inverter to compare against yours:

Inv Ver
Master 1.24
Slave 1.02
Comm 1.25
If it is the same then it could be something else.
If not then if they really want to be helpful they can give the firmware above that I know works.

The manual does not seem to detail much about the ethernet port like how it should be connected up and used and troubleshooting.
It seems very vague and hush hush.

Attached: Hybrid-AC-User-Manual.pdf
Manual page 23
Ethernet
Ethernet communication is the standard communication interface.
Application Occasion
This function is appliable for the below situation:

1) For data transmission: It can transmit the inverter data from inverter to PC or other monitoring equipment.
2) For monitoring: It can transmit the inverter data from inverter to Foxess monitoring website/APP though home router connected.

I know at a firm that did access controls, one some of them if you did too much polling using a SNMP tool or on a network where there is too much broadcast traffic it use to set an alarm off. No a real audible just a message in the monitoring system. I came across a HP laserjet that did that, if the tool did a network scan or probed it many times a minute it would cause it to hang. I believe it maye possible that the wifi stick may actually just be a little micro computer inside that does datalogging through the RS485 port where it might have a firewall and rules whatever lan it is connected to where the inverter is not directly connected to the lan.

Safety:
If inverter settings can be changed remotely through the modbus that can affect the inverter, like changing voltages and lead to safety issues and so on then yes the manufacturer may have a point but if this is the the case it should be detailed in the manual that it needs to be separated from the local LAN devices and needs something in the middle for your application and widget that you need to build, like with Homeassistant appliance where the inverter is connected directly to it and the the homeassistant webserver is running on the network card towards the lan side.

Steve Robinson 1 month ago
It seems that the latest firmware  1.56, has disabled the lan port, so after finally managing to complete this step, I am no better off.  HA has listed all the sensors etc, but no data is coming through.
Well lets HOPE that it seems.

If that is the case, you see how can they treat people like shit and do what they like when they see progress.
I'd argue with them that it was not the product sold to you if that is the case above and want it the way it was originally provided to you without the smart stick. If you are willing to do away with "cloud"/hosting nonsense (I am totally against it) and you can persuade them into replace or give you the firmware to downgrade.

I am worried now that if mine breaks and it gets replaced.

A sub comment in that video points to this for the RJ485 datalogging method (possibly the port where that "smart stick" goes into):
https://foxesscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=24
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:36 pm

As FoxESS has grown its market share globally, it's been under active development from its community of developers who want to extend its functionality, reporting and automation capabilities.

It's now possible to integrate your T series FoxESS solar inverter with Home Assistant.

1. FoxESS Local RS485 Modbus Integration https://github.com/assembly12/Foxess-T-series-ESPHome-Home-Assistant

Pros:
Realtime data polling via the RS485 port
Comprehensive list of data entities to report on and build dashboards using
Cons:
additional hardware or cabling needed
IamEccles:
USR-W610 Serial to WiFi Ethernet Wireless Converter RS232 RS485 Serial Server Support WatchDog Modbus Gateway TCP UDP
Brand: USR  4.1 out of 5 stars    59 ratings £54.98
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DNWM62H

Youtube comments:
Kris Haynes1 month ago
I've got the same problem too, followed all the setups, brand new system installed and looks like they;'ve disabled data polling out of the LAN port.   * Port clearly works as the cloud is still fine but locally I cannot extract anything :(

tommglx2 days ago
I seem to have this problem too. How do I check the firmware version? My system is about 3 months old and the issue seems to fit this. However, I have managed to pull some data using node red. So, it seems that the lan output hasn't been disabled, it must be another issue with either the VM, HA or yaml set up. Will update if I get it sorted.

tommglx 2 days ago
Further to this, I've jut realised that I now can't access that port with node red. I don't recall an update, not sure what happened.

Regarding firmware versions, on the web portal it says that my hardware versions are:
master: 1.44, slave: 1.02, manager: 1.39. Are these the firmware versions I'm looking for?

tommglx 2 days ago
Just went back to the inverter and checked a few settings: enabled remote control and DHCP. I don't know which fixed it, but I'm now reading values!

*I'd remove that SMART WIFI stick FOR NOW, leave it for a while (I don't know how long maybe half a day), then try the ethernet without the Smart wifi stick plugged in.

My Suspicions if it only works for one interface at a time:
1. Could it had been at first,  alternating between the two, modbus port (smart Wifi stick thing) and then ethernet.
2. Is stuck to one at present.
3. An update has made it so it sticks to one interface at a time.
4. or disabled ethernet.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 05:23:42 am by MrMobodies »

Offline texamicomio

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2023, 09:27:11 pm »
Hi MrMobodies,

So with DHCP: no IP address is requested from router. Nothing on router logs.
No useful information in router logs.

Static IP: No ping response or modbus port open on port scan.
No ping response.

Can you try removing the "smart wifi stick?", and ethernet, wait for some time and reconnect the ethernet on it's own?
Already done  |O

Very nice.
Thank you  8)

Does start means to start the program fully?
It is still a work in progress. When you press Start all the values ​​on the widget refresh. When I can get back to work, I have to activate an automatic timed refresh.
If you have an android smartphone and want to try my widget, I can send you the apk file.

Here is the original firmware version that came with my inverter to compare against yours
I compared the values ​​of the FoxCloud app versions with those on the inverter display and I discovered a very strange thing: they are different!

and

In FoxCloud app (and web portal) there is:
Master 1.54
Slave 1.02
Manager 1.56

On inverter display menu:
Master 1.09
Slave 1.09
Manager 1.09

It seems very vague and hush hush.
The manual is almost useless.

Well lets HOPE that it seems.
It seems a certainty. I don't want to buy a new device to do something I did a week ago.  :--
Are you sure that this device works then? Has anyone tried this on an H1-6.0-E?

*I'd remove that SMART WIFI stick FOR NOW, leave it for a while (I don't know how long maybe half a day), then try the ethernet without the Smart wifi stick plugged in.
I haven't been half a day without a smart wifi stick, but only about 15 minutes. The behavior has not changed.

My opinion is that if the operating parameters can be modified with the Modbus protocol, the risk of breaking the inverter by unaware users is very high. Just limit the range of memory addresses accessible by modbus to read-only and keep the LAN port working.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 09:30:17 pm by texamicomio »

Offline texamicomio

• Super Contributor
FOXESS DELIBERATELY disables LAN port in firmware 1.56
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2023, 11:44:05 pm »
I just remembered and forgot to mention (without the wifi plugged in but with ethernet connected)...
To cause the inverter to reboot:

Just cut the power to through the isolator or fuse box, the screen may stay on as I believe it has a built in battery and it will display a fault message and the warning light will come on.

About a couple minutes restore power to it and about 10 to 20 minutes it will reset and all the relays will click and do it's diagnostics and clear the warning. That worked for me unexpectedily.

Inv Ver
Mine:
Master 1.24
*Slave 1.02
Comm 1.25
Yours
Master 1.09
Slave 1.09
Comm 1.09

A bit odd.
This looks more realistic:
In FoxCloud app (and web portal) there is:
Master 1.54
*Slave 1.02
Manager 1.56
* Looks to me like the backup firmware.
Would be interesting to see if there is a way of triggering it into loading the backup firmware.

My thoughts:
Custom firmware for their WIFI stick that eventually installs or custom when you reported the relays clicking.
(The clicking is normal when it reboots and it did this to me often with the LAN issues at first until I connected it directly. I didn't think it was a problem because I was there and knew what it was doing when it eventually restarted or when I cut and reapplied power as a test... almost forgot about that.)

They speak of Firmware version 1.56 here:
https://foxesscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?p=560&sid=fec2b46037c60e197912cb23fe197bb9#p560
Borehamwood wrote: ↑Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:02 pm
Anybody else got manager version 1.56?
Is it newer than 1.54?
Dave Foster Posts: 50  Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:03 am
It is newer but Foxess don’t issue firmware release notes  :bullshit: so the updates/bugs etc.. are not known.

We do know that if you have a home assistant connected via the LAN port it will no longer work as the LAN function has been removed (you have to connect via modbus or cloud)

[So they have removed modbus over ethernet.
Now THAT IS TAKING THE PISS!

Take it as a lesson:
You can see why I don't leave my stuff connected up if I know it is going to update and I refuse updates willy nilly so that manufacturer's can do what they like to it. It is proof that newer update is not equals to always better and may certainly not be in your best interests.

I bet they saw thread like this one and the Youtube videos, decided they didn't like it and made the next update accordingly.

My Paranoia: Wait till they alter their wifi stick and inverter through a firmware update so any modbus converter (not their own) won't work for new users trying it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:49:41 pm by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
Fox-ess doing what they like to your inverter behind your back via wifi stick
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2023, 05:12:08 am »
Their stupid app, both Apple store and Playstore cloud monitoring don't seem to be doing well according to the reviews.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/foxcloud/id1512581978

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fox.foxapp&hl=en_GB&gl=US

We haven't got enough users sign into our cloud to leave good feedback.
So what do they do, they disabled or cripple the means for successful private/inhouse data monitoring project and obstruct it through whatever means they can like now for those who have their smart "wifi stick" installed and betray the trust that the customers have installed in them by removing/denying them something that was once shown in the manual at the time of purchase and worked fine before. Making it difficult for those who are against this finite "cloud" only monitoring where they have to start looking at converters when that was all available from the ethernet port or extra equipment with clamps.

This makes Sony Other OS look good as at least they gave a choice as far as I can remember.
Update to continuing to use to the Playstation Network and loose OtherOS.
Don't update and eventually loose access to Playstation Network.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OtherOS
force its customers to choose either to forego installing the software update or to lose access to the other OS feature,

It goes to show that now they don't force customers to choose anymore.
They just take liberties and do what they like when they can through silence like here:

Dave Foster Posts: 50  Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:03 am

We do know that if you have a home assistant connected via the LAN port it will no longer work as the LAN function has been removed (you have to connect via modbus or cloud)

It is newer but Foxess don’t issue firmware release notes so the updates/bugs etc.. are not known.
That means they can do what they like when you connect it up to them through their "smart wifi" stick.
Leaving the customers in the dark and do things behind their back through the firmware updates.

1. Foxess... Lied that it doesn't work when it did as documented in the manual
2. I sent them an email proving them wrong showing that it does work with Homeassistant via addon with no problems.
3. It seems more people start doing it, a Youtube video and other forums detailing how.
4. Foxess later disables the feature.

Now how does that look for Fox-ess? Very dishonest

Joke: Anyone reading this with this inverer or inverter like it fancy throwing away their "smart wifi stick" in protest.
Any new customers refuse such a stick?

I waiting for the day when they start charging subscription fee's for their cloud nonsense for whoever they forced or got trapped into it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 03:48:14 pm by MrMobodies »

• Super Contributor
Foxess inverter ethernet data to PC other monitoring SOLVED (MODBUS over RS485)
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2023, 08:07:56 pm »
service@fox-ess.com
You
Hello *****,

Modbus TCP is not available after the firmware 1.50.

But customers can still use Modbus RTU with RS485  :-+ . *There is no effect that customer can use their own private monitoring appliance.

I like that answer. I asked why but gave the above solution which is good enough.

I would have brought that from the start had they advised.

*Thank you very much Fox-ess for giving us a choice recommending this and taking in account our thoughts on private in house monitoring.

Greatly appreciated.

Going to order it and prepare my installation incase the inverter fails and need to switch on replacement.

I remembered being told before the contract (and before the change to one inverter) that I could void my warranty if anything goes wrong and they find things connected up to that serial port (where the dongles go) that are not approved by the manufacturer but now I got their backing so I am no longer in the dark.

I just checked the manual and it looks like the RS485 connection pins are inside a plug (Item e) that also has pins for other stuff where it needs to be wired into.

There is a CT clamp already connected inside that plug so this will be a job for the contractor when it needs to be done.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 12:00:18 am by MrMobodies »

Offline texamicomio

Re: Foxess inverter ethernet data to PC data and other monitoring LIE (SOLVED)
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2023, 02:55:12 pm »
Hi MrMobodies,
I just saw that the menu on the FoxESS web portal has changed.
A "Meter Management" menu item has been added.
Maybe this news could be related to disabling the modbus TCP port?

PS: How do you post images inline on this forum?   |O

• Super Contributor
Re: Foxess inverter ethernet data to PC data and other monitoring LIE (SOLVED)
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2023, 07:33:53 pm »
Unfortunately the image attach feature got broken from an update many years ago where it started to show attached pictures from other threads.

I attach the pictures by post and use Imgur for inline lower resolution pictures which is not ideal.

Meter Management
That looks to me like for joining up power meters like the one on Item E connector.
Maybe they are now supporting more than just two types.

The following users thanked this post: texamicomio

Offline texamicomio

After realizing that the LAN port has been disabled with the firmware update to version 1.56, in order to use Modbus TCP communication I buy a RS485 to LAN adapter with Modbus RTU to TCP converter.

https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/RS485_TO_ETH_(B)#Overview

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B09QMNWYLQ

This adapter is not wifi but it is cheaper than the USR W610 (it costs half).
I connected everything as indicated in the manual and tried to configure the device.
If anyone is interested I attach here the device configuration screens and the code to test that the modbus TCP works the same way as the LAN interface which has been disabled.

[Update]
After a week of use, I tuned up and updated the screenshots with the best configurations to make communications more stable.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 02:57:54 pm by texamicomio »

• Super Contributor
For me anything like that I'd want cabled up.

I am still awaiting from a response from the manufacturer whether the WIFI radio module can be disabled on the one recommend and I did read the manual but couldn't find anything about it.

Out of my own personal paranoia I don't like to leave WIFI radio's on when they are not needed.

I remember this Netgear router many years ago. As soon as certain wifi controllers join it like this one, a Intel 3945ABG for whatever reason (even if the wrong key was inserted on test) it would cause the router gradually come to a halt and stop working and then need power cycling.

That's why I like things separated including the access points so when something goes wrong it does not take out other stuff with it.

Offline texamicomio

Hi MrMobodies, all,
I built the widget apk file and shared it at this address:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M1Cf-2NpEJz-w7pBhR2L8-Hidb4M1ejj/view?usp=sharing

To install the apk file, remember to enable unknown sources in your smartphone settings.

• Super Contributor
That is useful.

Thanks for sharing it directly.

I'll test later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf