Products > Dodgy Technology

Foxess inverter ethernet data to PC data and other monitoring LIE (SOLVED)

<< < (8/10) > >>

MrMobodies:

--- Quote from: texamicomio on February 14, 2023, 10:56:19 am ---Before the update, the connection via LAN with MODBUS protocol work without problems.
--- End quote ---
With the wifi stick and connection to the website.

"Modbus no longer allowed" I hope not. It is wrong for them to *advertise* a feature in the manual and do what they like through the firmware updates. This is why I don't trust any update until I know exactly what it is going to do. I expect that once it is working for it to be left alone or you'd find them interfering with the product in ways that can affect you.

--- Quote ---After the update the LAN port has been disabled because the IP address is not even configured (neither with DHCP nor with static IP configuration).
--- End quote ---
A little unclear, can you configure these things or not?

So if set to DHCP, routers logs show it does not request an IP address.
If set to static ethernet port does not light up?

--- Quote ---I'm contacting technical assistance to ask for information. If I don't solve the problem I become dissatisfied with the FoxESS brand.  >:(
--- End quote ---

Let see what bullshit you may encounter from the manufacturer:

--- Quote --- 1. The ethernet port on H1 is a reserved port :bullshit:, function not ready to use.
2. Not supported (We don't care). Okay put it back to the way it was.

3. Monitoring only possible through the website.  :bullshit:

Joke: 4. The mass majority don't use on site monitoring as they are not tek savvy users. They naturally burn very stupid with very a low iq level and naturally low abilities and can't comprehend the amazing mysterious things that us developers get up to every day which is extremely challenging on a daily basis. They need to be following strict instructions set by us, the brightest minds of society or they loose the warranty. Exposing them to this raw information is not good for us and may sabotage the advanced way of thinking set by us advanced thinkers for the mass majority!  :bullshit:

Joke: 5. You shouldn't be messing around in there. It is very complicated than you can ever imagine. Never mind how it works none of your business. You can cause viruses to appear which will lay bugs that will crawl around and cause problem and blow up your inverter and it will infect your neighbours wifi and it will be all your fault and will void your warranty and we can't have that.
--- End quote ---

Sorry that is the sort of manner I was spoken too throughout my younger years and some people still try it on just like the first one which was from the manufacturer which reminds me of the Wizard of Oz, when the dog opened the curtain and the man doing the frightening things said "Don't pay attention to the man behind that curtain."

Hopefully they may actually be helpful this time and fix it or offer a firmware downgrade or it might be something very simple.

I had another thought:

--- Quote ---In my opinion a remote update was done and now the noise of the relays is no longer heard but access with modbus is no longer allowed.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote --- after I reported an incorrect behavior of the inverter to assistance:
--- End quote ---

That was normally when mine was reset after freezing, the relays click, and I observed that happening a lot when it was connected to the vlan with other stuff on there.  It doesn't do it anymore.

Did you tell them your plans that you are running an in house appliance for datalogging as stated in the manual?
I'd confirm whether they'd disabled it intentionally and why? and whether they can re enabled it.

texamicomio:
Hi MrMobodies,
I quote everything you wrote in your last post.
I try to answer your questions:

--- Quote ---A little unclear, can you configure these things or not?
--- End quote ---

I tried these configurations:

* DHCP enabled
* DHCP enabled but with static assignment from the router
* DHCP disabled and manual IP address configuration into the inverter
NO WORK!

This evening I reset the inverter but the behavior remained the same.

--- Quote ---So if set to DHCP, routers logs show it does not request an IP address.
--- End quote ---

I tried looking up the IP address with both ping scan and router ARP table (both static and dynamic).

--- Quote ---If set to static ethernet port does not light up?
--- End quote ---

The switch port light is on and flashing like the others ports.

--- Quote ---Did you tell them your plans that you are running an in house appliance for datalogging as stated in the manual?
I'd confirm whether they'd disabled it intentionally and why? and whether they can re enabled it.
--- End quote ---

They didn't answer my phone today. I will try again tomorrow hoping to speak with an operator capable of understanding my request.

I am very disappointed because a feature mentioned in the brochure has been removed after I did a great job on the widget that I want to distribute for free to all users of FoxESS inverters, although I will never recommend it to anyone.

MrMobodies:
So with DHCP: no IP address is requested from router. Nothing on router logs.
Static IP: No ping response or modbus port open on port scan.

Silly question: Is this with the "smart wifi stick" removed?
I know you said it worked in addition before.
Can you try removing the "smart wifi stick?", and ethernet, wait for some time and reconnect the ethernet on it's own?

I was having another look at your widget:

Very nice.

Does start means to start the program fully?

Here is the original firmware version that came with my inverter to compare against yours:

--- Quote ---Inv Ver
Master 1.24
Slave 1.02
Comm 1.25
--- End quote ---
If it is the same then it could be something else.
If not then if they really want to be helpful they can give the firmware above that I know works.

The manual does not seem to detail much about the ethernet port like how it should be connected up and used and troubleshooting.
It seems very vague and hush hush.

Attached: Hybrid-AC-User-Manual.pdf
Manual page 23

--- Quote ---Ethernet
Ethernet communication is the standard communication interface.
Application Occasion
This function is appliable for the below situation:
1) For data transmission: It can transmit the inverter data from inverter to PC or other monitoring equipment.
2) For monitoring: It can transmit the inverter data from inverter to Foxess monitoring website/APP though home router connected.
--- End quote ---

I know at a firm that did access controls, one some of them if you did too much polling using a SNMP tool or on a network where there is too much broadcast traffic it use to set an alarm off. No a real audible just a message in the monitoring system. I came across a HP laserjet that did that, if the tool did a network scan or probed it many times a minute it would cause it to hang. I believe it maye possible that the wifi stick may actually just be a little micro computer inside that does datalogging through the RS485 port where it might have a firewall and rules whatever lan it is connected to where the inverter is not directly connected to the lan.

Safety:
If inverter settings can be changed remotely through the modbus that can affect the inverter, like changing voltages and lead to safety issues and so on then yes the manufacturer may have a point but if this is the the case it should be detailed in the manual that it needs to be separated from the local LAN devices and needs something in the middle for your application and widget that you need to build, like with Homeassistant appliance where the inverter is connected directly to it and the the homeassistant webserver is running on the network card towards the lan side.

--- Quote ---Steve Robinson 1 month ago
It seems that the latest firmware  1.56, has disabled the lan port, so after finally managing to complete this step, I am no better off.  HA has listed all the sensors etc, but no data is coming through.
--- End quote ---
Well lets HOPE that it seems.

If that is the case, you see how can they treat people like shit and do what they like when they see progress.
I'd argue with them that it was not the product sold to you if that is the case above and want it the way it was originally provided to you without the smart stick. If you are willing to do away with "cloud"/hosting nonsense (I am totally against it) and you can persuade them into replace or give you the firmware to downgrade.

I am worried now that if mine breaks and it gets replaced.

A sub comment in that video points to this for the RJ485 datalogging method (possibly the port where that "smart stick" goes into):
https://foxesscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=24

--- Quote --- Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:36 pm

As FoxESS has grown its market share globally, it's been under active development from its community of developers who want to extend its functionality, reporting and automation capabilities.

It's now possible to integrate your T series FoxESS solar inverter with Home Assistant.

1. FoxESS Local RS485 Modbus Integration https://github.com/assembly12/Foxess-T-series-ESPHome-Home-Assistant

Pros:
Realtime data polling via the RS485 port
Comprehensive list of data entities to report on and build dashboards using
Cons:
additional hardware or cabling needed
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---IamEccles:
USR-W610 Serial to WiFi Ethernet Wireless Converter RS232 RS485 Serial Server Support WatchDog Modbus Gateway TCP UDP
Brand: USR  4.1 out of 5 stars    59 ratings £54.98
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DNWM62H
--- End quote ---

Youtube comments:

--- Quote ---Kris Haynes1 month ago
I've got the same problem too, followed all the setups, brand new system installed and looks like they;'ve disabled data polling out of the LAN port.   * Port clearly works as the cloud is still fine but locally I cannot extract anything :(

tommglx2 days ago
I seem to have this problem too. How do I check the firmware version? My system is about 3 months old and the issue seems to fit this. However, I have managed to pull some data using node red. So, it seems that the lan output hasn't been disabled, it must be another issue with either the VM, HA or yaml set up. Will update if I get it sorted.

tommglx 2 days ago
Further to this, I've jut realised that I now can't access that port with node red. I don't recall an update, not sure what happened.

Regarding firmware versions, on the web portal it says that my hardware versions are:
master: 1.44, slave: 1.02, manager: 1.39. Are these the firmware versions I'm looking for?

tommglx 2 days ago
Just went back to the inverter and checked a few settings: enabled remote control and DHCP. I don't know which fixed it, but I'm now reading values!
--- End quote ---

*I'd remove that SMART WIFI stick FOR NOW, leave it for a while (I don't know how long maybe half a day), then try the ethernet without the Smart wifi stick plugged in.

My Suspicions if it only works for one interface at a time:
1. Could it had been at first,  alternating between the two, modbus port (smart Wifi stick thing) and then ethernet.
2. Is stuck to one at present.
3. An update has made it so it sticks to one interface at a time.
4. or disabled ethernet.

texamicomio:
Hi MrMobodies,

--- Quote ---So with DHCP: no IP address is requested from router. Nothing on router logs.
--- End quote ---
No useful information in router logs.

--- Quote ---Static IP: No ping response or modbus port open on port scan.
--- End quote ---
No ping response.

--- Quote ---Can you try removing the "smart wifi stick?", and ethernet, wait for some time and reconnect the ethernet on it's own?
--- End quote ---
Already done  |O

--- Quote ---Very nice.
--- End quote ---
Thank you  8)

--- Quote ---Does start means to start the program fully?
--- End quote ---
It is still a work in progress. When you press Start all the values ​​on the widget refresh. When I can get back to work, I have to activate an automatic timed refresh.
If you have an android smartphone and want to try my widget, I can send you the apk file.

--- Quote ---Here is the original firmware version that came with my inverter to compare against yours
--- End quote ---
I compared the values ​​of the FoxCloud app versions with those on the inverter display and I discovered a very strange thing: they are different!

[attachimg=1]

and

[attachimg=2]

In FoxCloud app (and web portal) there is:
Master 1.54
Slave 1.02
Manager 1.56

On inverter display menu:
Master 1.09
Slave 1.09
Manager 1.09

--- Quote ---It seems very vague and hush hush.
--- End quote ---
The manual is almost useless.

--- Quote ---Well lets HOPE that it seems.
--- End quote ---
It seems a certainty. I don't want to buy a new device to do something I did a week ago.  :--
Are you sure that this device works then? Has anyone tried this on an H1-6.0-E?

--- Quote ---*I'd remove that SMART WIFI stick FOR NOW, leave it for a while (I don't know how long maybe half a day), then try the ethernet without the Smart wifi stick plugged in.
--- End quote ---
I haven't been half a day without a smart wifi stick, but only about 15 minutes. The behavior has not changed.

My opinion is that if the operating parameters can be modified with the Modbus protocol, the risk of breaking the inverter by unaware users is very high. Just limit the range of memory addresses accessible by modbus to read-only and keep the LAN port working.

texamicomio:

--- Quote ---Are you sure that this device works then? Has anyone tried this on an H1-6.0-E?
--- End quote ---
I answered myself after finding these reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/RV3TPY5QS153Y/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07DNWM62H

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R3LRFJQ939DS0V/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B07DNWM62H

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version