Author Topic: Gravita lamp - new era of lamps?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline SlothTopic starter

Gravita lamp - new era of lamps?
« on: December 02, 2020, 08:35:43 pm »
Unforeseen lamp technology, with all the 2020's feature's you wish your lamp didn't have:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/floately/gravita-floating-lamp-by-floately

I guess it can't really be debunked, as it probably does what it promises, but the sales pitches are some thick BS.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
Re: Gravita lamp - new era of lamps?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 08:44:25 pm »
It seems to be already on sale, under different name: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001523880405.html

How does it work?

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 02:34:01 am »
I like that!

Sure, most of the downsides are promoted as pluses - the 1700K colour temperature, for example - but it's an executive toy. Yes, there have been other magentically-suspended toys, but what makes this stand out is the feature whereby the bulb doesn't fall off if you unplug the power. Neat!

Bit expensive, though.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 06:55:08 am »
That's neat. It's just a new spin on the old magnetic levitation device. They use a coil and a sensor that modulates power to the coil in order to keep the distance constant. The new twist here is that it also couples power to the levitating lamp. I suspect they're driving the coil with PWM so the lamp just needs a coil in it to extract a bit of power. A string of tiny LEDs uses very little current to glow.

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 08:48:55 am »
I remember seeing a similar idea in a YT video ("Strange Parts" channel):

I assume this is just a nicer build, but the same stuff...

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 01:38:18 am »
Although it's a fun project per se, it looks totally useless from a user's POV. Just saying.

Technically, "levitating" objects using controlled coils has been done for decades. I remember an old electronics book I had when I was a teen that had a project like this (only without the added wireless power transfer...) It was a relatively simple circuit too AFAIR. Add to that wireless power transfer such as Qi, and you're done.

But again, since the levitating object has to be pretty close to the "controller", beyond the fun effect, I find this absolutely useless.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 03:30:33 am »
"levitating" objects using controlled coils has been done for decades

But they all dropped the object when you turn the power off. This one grabs the object when the power goes off.

Not too tricky to arrange and, since previous efforts have mostly been pushing stuff up you wouldn't notice, but I've never seen a puller do it before. Or even realised there was a need :)

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 03:57:20 am »
"levitating" objects using controlled coils has been done for decades

But they all dropped the object when you turn the power off. This one grabs the object when the power goes off.

Not too tricky to arrange and, since previous efforts have mostly been pushing stuff up you wouldn't notice, but I've never seen a puller do it before. Or even realised there was a need :)
Likely it simply has a permanent magnet and electromagnet working in counteraction to it. Also funny how they claim it's brighter and more practical than conventional lamps. "Consumes 10 times less electricity than conventional bulb" No shit, Sherlock. In the video it's extremely dim, and no sign of providing any useful amount of light. As of practicality, must be just amazing to read a book when bulb shines directly in your eyes.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 04:17:30 am »
BTW they simply copied another design and just added crappy bluetooth speaker.
Almost 3 Year old video.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 05:11:10 am »
Likely it simply has a permanent magnet and electromagnet working in counteraction to it.

Well, clearly. You could say similar about everything: "Likely it has a ADC and embedded PC for display", for instance, when pointing at any digital scope. Putting it in an actual product and making it look clever is a bit of a step up from being an armchair dissenter, though.

But thanks for the link to the original product.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 05:32:49 am »
Well, clearly. You could say similar about everything: "Likely it has a ADC and embedded PC for display", for instance, when pointing at any digital scope.
Really, dude? About oscilloscope, basic principle of how it works is somewhat obvious to people with experience and who have seen teardowns. About how this lamp works, for many people it's not obvious at all. Especially that electromagnet repels rather than attracts the bulb below it.
Putting it in an actual product and making it look clever is a bit of a step up from being an armchair dissenter, though.
It seems that guessing the principle of operation now became a crime against engineers who designed the thing. :palm:. Yeah, and you must assemble one yourself to earn a privilege of discussing it. In the same way that you must be a pro chief to have a right to say your opinion about the food served to you.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 05:58:27 am »
It seems that guessing the principle of operation now became a crime against engineers who designed the thing.

It came over as a bit sniffy, yes. Maybe without the 'simply' it would have looked different. Nevertheless, I apologise since that seems not to be the way it was meant.

The following users thanked this post: wraper, ebastler

Offline timenutgoblin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 09:40:27 am »
I found this video on The Signal Path. It seems relevant.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 04:38:21 pm »
Executive toy, exactly. This would be in the Sharper Image catalog.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 08:20:48 am »
Executive toy, exactly. This would be in the Sharper Image catalog.

Now it's Hammacher Schlemer and Touch of Modern.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 09:36:21 am »
I dunno, as a concept it's a cute little toy, as a kickstarter, it's a scam, they don't seem to be developing anything, just rebranding an existing product.

Offline racemaniac

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2020, 06:51:31 pm »
I love how it's only 50 lumen XD. Buyers are going to be so disappointed.

You can already see it in the promotional videos, the rooms are reasonably dark, and the camera still has no issue at all with the light of the lamp, even when directly filming it. In the daylight shots you can hardly tell if it's on or off :D

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2020, 06:56:44 pm »
I dunno, as a concept it's a cute little toy, as a kickstarter, it's a scam, they don't seem to be developing anything, just rebranding an existing product.

Isn't that against the Kickstarter rules?

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 08:53:42 am »

Which is why I called it a scam.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 10:58:24 am »

Which is why I called it a scam.

I have sent a few of those links to Kickstarter admins, let's see what they do.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2020, 06:53:35 pm »
It seems to be already on sale, under different name: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001523880405.html

How does it work?
Of COURSE!  By the time the hand-made prototype arrives back in the US from China for your inspection, they have cloned a container load of them and selling on Alibaba.

Jon

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2020, 06:58:30 pm »

How does it work?
Of COURSE!  By the time the hand-made prototype arrives back in the US from China for your inspection, they have cloned a container load of them and selling on Alibaba.

Jon
:palm: How about you read this thread before making dumb claims? That lamp on Aliexpress was available for a few years before Gravita even appeared.

The following users thanked this post: janoc

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 10:19:42 pm »

How does it work?

Jon
:palm: How about you read this thread before making dumb claims? That lamp on Aliexpress was available for a few years before Gravita even appeared.
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 11:35:54 pm »
No wires!

Except...

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 02:09:08 pm »
Does it charge your phone like the aliexpress model? Then it will be easy to find your phone in the dark.
Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf