Author Topic: Hooray for Radioactive Diamond Batteries.  (Read 1904 times)

Offline HaenkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hooray for Radioactive Diamond Batteries.
« on: March 31, 2021, 12:42:48 pm »
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a35970222/radioactive-diamond-battery-will-run-for-28000-years/

https://science.news/2021-03-27-diamond-battery-lasts-up-to-28000-years.html

If it's on the interwebs, it must be true and the greatest thing invented since sliced bread.

CEO-quote 2020: "“We should be able to have the battery for mobile phones and consumer electronics that will last nine years in about three years from now."

Guess that's great, somehow. I just gave one of my old calculators from school to my daughter - that Lithium cell in there is still fine. After 30 years. Maybe in reality it's a secret japanese atomic miniature reactor in there, who knows.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
Re: Hooray for Radioactive Diamond Batteries.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 04:04:54 pm »
   I remember when Popular Mechanics was a creditable news source.  Nuff said.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 10:30:30 pm »
This bullshit is still going? I thought this was already :horse: given the umpteen debunkings now.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 10:49:37 pm »
That second link is troubling. It's a fake news website set up with the same name as a legit science news company.
If you look at it, it's completely full of utterly bullshit stories.

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 02:15:38 am »
I saw this some weeks/months ago.  It is not total BS, it is early days still and it is a low average power drain.  It can be used with a super cap to provide higher current bursts with a low duty cycle.  I think the selling point is for low average drain uses where power is not at hand and changing batteries is a PITA.  Like smoke detectors... although mine has a 10 year battery in it.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 08:37:22 pm »
I saw this some weeks/months ago.  It is not total BS, it is early days still and it is a low average power drain.  It can be used with a super cap to provide higher current bursts with a low duty cycle.  I think the selling point is for low average drain uses where power is not at hand and changing batteries is a PITA.  Like smoke detectors... although mine has a 10 year battery in it.

Does your smoke detector only use 100nA?
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 06:35:28 am »
CEO-quote 2020: "“We should be able to have the battery for mobile phones and consumer electronics that will last nine years in about three years from now."
The real reason to think this is BS is because companies now have next to zero incentive to make their products last longer. ::)

Offline HaenkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 08:26:30 am »
Like smoke detectors... although mine has a 10 year battery in it.

I am on the second installation of smoke detectors now - the first model did not come with a built-in battery and a 9V Lithium block lasted about 5+ years.
A newer model now comes with built-in batteries (I think that's a 3V Lithium one) and is advertised as "10 years of battery life" (unless you test them too many times, with emergency lighting and sirene probably drawing too much current).

It seems they got the wattage really, really down. (Maybe waking from sleep every 15 seconds to fire one single LED beam? Didn't test that...)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 03:52:33 pm »
Like smoke detectors... although mine has a 10 year battery in it.

I am on the second installation of smoke detectors now - the first model did not come with a built-in battery and a 9V Lithium block lasted about 5+ years.
A newer model now comes with built-in batteries (I think that's a 3V Lithium one) and is advertised as "10 years of battery life" (unless you test them too many times, with emergency lighting and sirene probably drawing too much current).

It seems they got the wattage really, really down. (Maybe waking from sleep every 15 seconds to fire one single LED beam? Didn't test that...)

Not that low, seems about the same as an old 80s digital watch. EDIT: assuming a button cell, if an axial cell then way more power.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 03:54:30 pm by Cyberdragon »
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf