Author Topic: I don’t see the fuss over wireless charging  (Read 25251 times)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: I don’t see the fuss over wireless charging
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2021, 08:31:26 pm »
There are *real* use cases for wireless charging. For instance, for devices that have no connector whatsoever and are 100% airtight. From a design and reliability POV, that's pretty good.

This isn't the case for typical mobile phones, though. Some people will find this useful for them, some won't. I personally do not care for this. Fast charging using a cable is more convenient for me. But in some cases - inside a vehicle for instance - that can still be handy.

But beyond any objective benefit, going wireless for electronic devices has been obsessing us for decades. It just looks neat. A trend we'd have a hard time reversing, even in cases for which it doesn't make sense.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2021, 09:44:41 pm »
Fast charging using a cable is more convenient for me

I think I would like wireless charging (don't know because my phone doesn't have it). My phone typically stays put where it is for hours at a time, either bedside table or next to my keyboard. Often I go out without having planned first and find my phone isn't charged up and don't have time for even a fast charge. When I know I will be going out, I have to remember to make sure the phone is charged beforehand, and sometimes even then I forget. So I think in my case just having it trickle charge would be a plus (and, after all, one can still fast charge them when necessary).

Having the option would be cool. Like NFC, you don't have to use it,  but you can't if it's not there.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2021, 09:54:39 pm »
Largely because most people leave one hand on the gear lever and rest the other arm on the door. And when they're not doing that they're using one hand to hold their phone, food, fag, whatever.

I always was told to never rest a hand on the gear lever, it wears out the shift forks in the gearbox.

The following users thanked this post: DenzilPenberthy, Cubdriver

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2021, 10:11:20 pm »
I suspect most people didn't get your good education, or forgot it right after gaining a license :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2021, 10:26:45 pm »
One of my friends was a professional mechanic and rebuilt a bunch of gearboxes, I generally took his advice.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2021, 10:35:52 pm »
Largely because most people leave one hand on the gear lever and rest the other arm on the door. And when they're not doing that they're using one hand to hold their phone, food, fag, whatever.

I always was told to never rest a hand on the gear lever, it wears out the shift forks in the gearbox.

and don't have a big bundle of keys hanging in the ignition

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2021, 05:33:31 am »
I think I would like wireless charging (don't know because my phone doesn't have it). My phone typically stays put where it is for hours at a time, either bedside table or next to my keyboard. Often I go out without having planned first and find my phone isn't charged up and don't have time for even a fast charge. When I know I will be going out, I have to remember to make sure the phone is charged beforehand, and sometimes even then I forget. So I think in my case just having it trickle charge would be a plus (and, after all, one can still fast charge them when necessary).

I think you are missing the point that wireless charging is exactly like wired charging. In both cases there is a wire plugged into a USB adapter, which is plugged into a wall outlet. The only difference is, that in one case the wire has a tiny little USB C plug on the end of it, in the other case the wire has a big heavy wireless charging puck on the end of it.

If you don't already have a charging wire where you put down your phone, then wireless charging isn't going to help you. Wireless charging is only wireless over that last fraction of an inch when it reaches your phone. The rest of it is just as much wired as any other charging method.

The exception is maybe the wireless charging pad in your car, which is an obvious convenience.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:35:11 am by IanB »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2021, 08:07:20 am »
I think you are missing the point that wireless charging is exactly like wired charging.

No, I am not, honest :)

It is different in that one doesn't mess around plugging in cables. I know the phone needs to be in exactly the right place, but it already is so there would be no difference in that regard. All that would change is that I wouldn't have to remember to plug the cable in (and, just as importantly, unplug it).

For instance, my phone right now is where it usually is but it's not plugged in. Should I plug it in? It generally needs doing so every other day, or topping up if I have a trip planned. But maybe it's already charged? Thinking about it, on a run yesterday it happened to be quite low because I forgot to top up, but I'm sure I charged it when I got back (I can remember the 'unplug me now' alert; or I think I do, but with so many so regularly...)

Just not having to check if it needs charging and plugging it in (or not) would be fine with me.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2021, 10:45:48 am »
The point of wireless charging in phones is to make "plugging in" so easy that you don't even notice it.

If you have your phone charging on your desk via USB and you get a phone call, then you will likely fist fumble with the cable to unplug it, take the call, then place it back down without plugging it in.

If you have a wireless charger you just pick up the phone as you always would, take the call and then place it back down at what point it starts charging again. There was 0 extra effort taken to disconnect the phone from the charger and connect it again. The result being that you introduce your phone to the charger more often, making it less likely that you get caught with an empty battery when you need to go outside.

I am really bad at remembering to charge my phone, so even tho i could go for a few days on a battery i still just plug it in before going to sleep and be sure i always start the day on 100% battery. I keep putting my phone in the same select few spots anyway so that i can quickly find it when i need it, if some of those spots feature wireless charging that means i never actually have to charge my phone, the battery is just magically near 100% all the time.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2021, 11:36:40 am »
I think you are missing the point that wireless charging is exactly like wired charging.

Of course, as previously mentioned, I don't have wireless charging so my comment are supposition on what I imagine the experience to be. Might turn out to be a poor experience, or  better than expected.

So, for reference, do you have wireless charging? Is your downer on it due to experience or also based on supposition?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2021, 02:03:08 pm »
So, for reference, do you have wireless charging? Is your downer on it due to experience or also based on supposition?

Yes, I have a wireless charger, but I don't find a compelling reason to use it. I have a "charging station", which is a desk with some chargers sitting on it. When my phones are running low and need charging, I just put them on the charging station and plug them in overnight. I don't find any trouble plugging in the cable (the Apple Lightning connector makes a satisfying "click" when you plug it in and feels very slick).

I also have the Apple wireless charger on the charging station. However, it has strong magnets and sticks to the phone with limpet-like force. If I try to pick up the phone, the charger comes with it and needs two hands to detach. This is slightly annoying, and to be avoided I would have to glue down the charging base with Blu Tack or double-sided tape or something. It just doesn't add value for me to use this charging method when the cable is so easy.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2021, 02:40:48 pm »
it has strong magnets and sticks to the phone with limpet-like force

I can see that would be a bit of a downer. It would put me right off!

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2021, 04:28:47 am »
it has strong magnets and sticks to the phone with limpet-like force

I can see that would be a bit of a downer. It would put me right off!
Funny, cause they copied Motorola Z, and failed to make it as good. Motorola Z, itself didn't have any magnets, but it did attract magnets  with such strength that I used to hang it on my metal almirah using hard drive voice coil magnet. Plus to prevent it from slamming into magnet, you could place the magnet on nonmagnetic area (the center) and slide it over to the magnetic area (the edges)

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2021, 06:08:08 am »
The magnets in wireless chargers are more to help you locate the correct location by feel without looking at it, it only starts transmitting once it detects a phone there. So the charger you have is probably just very poorly designed to have magnets that are stronger than the weight of the unit itself.

And yes pretty much all phones that feature wireless charging will stick to a magnet because they have a ferrite plate inside that helps form a better magnetic coupling for the receiving coil.

Tho if a magnet is so strong that it lifts the charger, i would be a bit concerned with such a strong field saturating the ferrite core coil in the phone and making it perform a lot worse. Or are the magnets perhaps set up just to grab the edges of the ferrite, leaving the center free of DC field.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2021, 09:54:22 am »
pretty much all phones that feature wireless charging will stick to a magnet because they have a ferrite plate inside

Would it be strong enough to use with one of these car mounts:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/? B01MU4ZU2H

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2021, 01:06:07 pm »
Why don't we let this thread fade into oblivion in peace?

Perhaps because we are still learning things and able to discuss same without ad hom put downs?

I wonder... if you do to a party and chat with some person about, say, how wet and rainy the weather is, then someone else joins in and you move on to how nice the summer war, then someone else comes along and you all talk about building snowmen. You pause for breath, see the original other person has pushed off to get a beer, so you say to everyone "Sorry, the bloke is gone so we have to stop talking now", and you all drift off.

I don't think it works like that.

Offline Just_another_Dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2021, 01:32:53 pm »
There are *real* use cases for wireless charging. For instance, for devices that have no connector whatsoever and are 100% airtight. From a design and reliability POV, that's pretty good.

This isn't the case for typical mobile phones, though. Some people will find this useful for them, some won't. I personally do not care for this. Fast charging using a cable is more convenient for me. But in some cases - inside a vehicle for instance - that can still be handy.

But beyond any objective benefit, going wireless for electronic devices has been obsessing us for decades. It just looks neat. A trend we'd have a hard time reversing, even in cases for which it doesn't make sense.

Not just 100% airtight devices, but also those ones that need to be used underwater. Sealing a device that has no electric ports is easier, being that the reason why electric toothbrushes used wireless charging before mobile phones

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2021, 02:36:34 pm »
Tho if a magnet is so strong that it lifts the charger, i would be a bit concerned with such a strong field saturating the ferrite core coil in the phone and making it perform a lot worse. Or are the magnets perhaps set up just to grab the edges of the ferrite, leaving the center free of DC field.

Apple's design has a ring of small magnets inside the phone, and matching magnets on the charging puck. When you place the phone on the charger, the magnets line up and position the phone in exactly the right position for optimum charging.

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2021, 01:43:57 am »
   A bunch of FUSS about consumer products is a good thing. Especially some valid complaints; but I tend to try to skip-read over (any) personal stuff. That guy ain't likely to stray onto my front lawn anyway. I LOVE to tear apart and criticize consumer products, for fit, simple controls, surprise clever features, etc etc

For personal directed crits, maybe try watching:
   "Housewives of New York..." or some such.

I'm looking for opinions... on that charging method, so here I am.
   Thanks, eti, "...play on, brother..." -- Jimi Hendrix

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2021, 01:52:50 am »
Oh yeah...AND:  How come no one has brought up the radiated energy issue, similar to potential cancer causing radio-EM beaming into your sleep-bed at close range (?)

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2021, 04:29:07 am »
Oh yeah...AND:  How come no one has brought up the radiated energy issue, similar to potential cancer causing radio-EM beaming into your sleep-bed at close range (?)

Ahh shit...here we go again...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/do-cellphones-actually-give-you-cancer/
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline boB

• Frequent Contributor
    • my work www
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2021, 04:50:30 am »

Only reason I ever used a pad for my cell phone is to reduce wear and tear on the USB charging connector on the phone.

K7IQ

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2021, 08:10:53 am »

Only reason I ever used a pad for my cell phone is to reduce wear and tear on the USB charging connector on the phone.
You'll be throwing that phone away, way before the charger and phone's appeal dies.
But you'll sure reduce battery's life from having it hot while charging wirelessly.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2021, 08:50:24 pm »

You'll be throwing that phone away, way before the charger and phone's appeal dies.
But you'll sure reduce battery's life from having it hot while charging wirelessly.

Yeah. I haven't had a USB connector failure on a cell phone in ages, even after several years of use each.

Now I don't think temperature is higher when charging wirelessly. I haven't noticed that, and I can't really see a reason either as long as both the charging pad and the receiving end in the phone are designed decently. And, as the charging current through wireless charging is usually much lower than when using a cable, the battery actually doesn't heat up as much while charging.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2021, 06:42:51 am »
I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 phone from 2016 and it was charged overnight for most of its life. The battery can still last over a whole weekend no problems. And even if it does fail the battery is user replaceable by simply taking off the clipped on back cover. Tho id more likely get a new phone instead to avoid the Android version getting too old to run most apps(This is the ultimate death timer for all smartphones, even if the hardware holds up).

Wireless charging should not be a problem as long as you don't try to get really fast charge rates out of it.

As for USB ports breaking. I have never broken one myself, but have had to replace a lot of USB ports in phones/tables for other people. Ranges from connectors that don't make connection anymore, to ones where the internals are a mangled mess to ones that are ripped completely off the board. You might take care of your connectors, most people don't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf