Author Topic: iCloud: the backup that loses your data  (Read 2185 times)

Offline NiHaoMikeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
iCloud: the backup that loses your data
« on: June 28, 2021, 05:12:54 am »
https://twitter.com/everyplace/status/1405634844965720064
Apple did what they do: delete abandoned data. But their version of abandoned is not mine. A service with “backup” in the title implies a backup. My expectation as a customer is that if I pay for my data to be stored, it should be stored?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: iCloud: the backup that loses your data
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 07:39:54 pm »
Damn.

That's why I absolutely NEVER want to have to trust a third party to store my data safely.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 08:08:45 pm »
I believe that Western Digital used to advertise a series of RAID hard drives as a “personal cloud” storage/backup device.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 01:17:53 pm »
I believe that Western Digital used to advertise a series of RAID hard drives as a “personal cloud” storage/backup device.
:-DD  I see what you did there!
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 07:38:49 pm »
:-DD  I see what you did there!

:-DD

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 08:44:38 pm »
I thank Apple iCloud for giving the Internet all the nude pics of Hollywood actresses, the sync feature apparently made it seamless.

WD MyBook NAS devices are being remotely wiped clean worldwide
Known back in 2018:
"Western Digital WD My Book Live and WD My Book Live Duo (all versions) have a root Remote Command Execution bug via shell metacharacters in the /api/1.0/rest/language_configuration language parameter. It can be triggered by anyone who knows the IP address of the affected device, as exploited in the wild in June 2021 for factory reset commands".
https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2018-18472#vulnCurrentDescriptionTitle

For everyone thinking their Synology NAS is any better: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search/results?form_type=Basic&results_type=overview&query=synology&search_type=all

The attacker IP addresses this week were from beijing, cypress etc. I hope it's not part of the commie 100 year celebrations.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 12:32:06 pm »
A service with “backup” in the title implies a backup.

Yep. And a service with "archive" in the title implies archived data. The two are not the same.

A mistake made when not using the cloud too, FWIW.

Online Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 08:52:30 pm »
Oooh yes. The distinction between "backup" and "archive" is important.
Backups generally are short lived, whereas archives can sometimes last decades.

The company where i worked on backups thought that an archive would not be required. We backup on tape anyway, so why not keep one full set every half year for "forever"...  :palm:
There where so many damn dependencies in the system...

To start with, obviously, tape drive generations. LTO could, back then, read two generations back. But when the first generation of tape libraries was due to be replaced, we went with LTO-4. The "archived" backups where on LTO-1... So we had to keep the old tapelibrary in storage.
But that was not all. At some point we got a big SAN storage. That came with new backup software that was incompatible with the old backup format. Yay, we now also keep the old server alive  :popcorn: The hardware of course, since the old tapelibrary is connected via SCSI.
But even *that* was not all yet. That new backup software used a special protocol to backup the data, called NDMP. That is neat and more importantly, with a capacity nearing the Petabyte range, fast. But that protocol introduced yet another dependency: Restores are only possible on a compatible storage. Guess what: a couple of years later we got a new storage, with incompatible NDMP...

And that is not yet touching stuff like integrity testing, or even compatibility of data formats.

A proper archive is *hard* and expensive. A backup with a defined data retention policy is almost trivial compared to that. Apples 180 days are, in my opninion, on the long side for backup retention times.
I have not used the iCloud yet. Does Apple notify the users about imminent retention expiry?

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 05:49:07 pm »
If one comes to think of it, why would you keep unsynced content on a smartphone or tablet? Services like iCloud backup clearly are for convenience so you don't have to manually set up a new device, or can conveniently wipe it to send it in for repair. Such backups really shouldn't be used as data storage.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf