Author Topic: How many GE engineers does it take to reset a light bulb?  (Read 5598 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: How many GE engineers does it take to reset a light bulb?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2019, 04:39:28 pm »
I remember a car that had a similar operation to get it into diagnostics mode to see various ECU values and change settings. It wasn't quite convoluted, but did require a complex sequence of ignition key, brake, accelerator and other inputs to trigger.

Conclusion: Light bulbs are being made by automotive systems designers. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 11:30:53 am »
The few chinesium smart light bulbs I have just require you to flick the switch fast for a few times until they start blinking. Seems a lot more user-friendly.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 12:01:00 pm »
The few chinesium smart light bulbs I have just require you to flick the switch fast for a few times until they start blinking. Seems a lot more user-friendly.
Until user needs to reconfigure them repeatedly because of false activation.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 02:31:21 pm »
If an app is required to set them up, why not require the same app to complete the reset procedure?
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 02:53:58 pm »
If an app is required to set them up, why not require the same app to complete the reset procedure?
Because this factory reset is for situations when this cannot be done :palm:. Say control hub failed, lost password, etc... The only way making it possible in those cases is making bulbs insecure so anyone can connect to them.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 03:32:20 pm »
I remember a car that had a similar operation to get it into diagnostics mode to see various ECU values and change settings. It wasn't quite convoluted, but did require a complex sequence of ignition key, brake, accelerator and other inputs to trigger.

Conclusion: Light bulbs are being made by automotive systems designers. ;D

A lot of cars have that. My first car that had that sort of thing (that I knew about) was a 1997 Dodge Neon. My 2012 BMW has a secret way to access sensor data on the dash - I can get readouts from things not normally visible like water temp (dash gauge is oil temp), but it requires a specific button press plus entering the last few digits of the VIN.

However - this is NOT the normal or required process for any of these cars, it's jut a back door put in for whatever reason. Plugging the correct tool into the ODB port allows access to all this same information and more, without odd key on/off sequences or holding down certain buttons.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2019, 02:22:02 am »
Because this factory reset is for situations when this cannot be done :palm:. Say control hub failed, lost password, etc... The only way making it possible in those cases is making bulbs insecure so anyone can connect to them.
It could be implemented so that to enter the reset mode, the switch must be cycled 3 times or whatever. Then to complete the reset, it has to receive a special packet from the smartphone within 10 seconds or so, otherwise it just goes back to working as it normally does. If a bit more security is desired, it could flicker a random code and use the smartphone camera as a challenge/response system.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:26:56 am by NiHaoMike »
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2019, 09:56:32 am »
Or the software from the actual app in the phone or other equipment you are using to connect to the bulb and change his values have a button that says, unpair this device or reset pairing in the bulb, and then the bulb enters factory defaults ready to be used with another equipment.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 12:21:21 am »
:( I'm disappointed...  You should have begun the video, then stitched the core of the 2 reset sequences together, omitting the video intro and the completion of the reset with the bulb blinking 3 times, looping for 20 hours never getting anywhere until the last 30 seconds where you get turning on the bulb 1 last time, then blinking 3 times.

Enjoy, all 20 hours of it...

The following users thanked this post: Cyberdragon, Siwastaja

Offline oddbondboris

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2019, 02:14:30 pm »
It's certainly way easier than getting iphone into  DFU  or recovery mode which might seem simple but in practice you might need ten or more attempts before succeeding. What is a joke is people shocked by that and suggesting adding a reset button to the bulb thinking it's a great idea :palm:.
dfu mode is incredibly easy and if it takes more than one try you're doing it wrong
plug in phone hold power and home or whatever the buttons are for the phone at hand for >10 seconds, make it 20 if you're worried about screwing it up, let go of power button
it literally never fails as long as you actually plug in the phone and hold for long enough.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2019, 02:43:11 pm »
It's certainly way easier than getting iphone into  DFU  or recovery mode which might seem simple but in practice you might need ten or more attempts before succeeding. What is a joke is people shocked by that and suggesting adding a reset button to the bulb thinking it's a great idea :palm:.
dfu mode is incredibly easy and if it takes more than one try you're doing it wrong
plug in phone hold power and home or whatever the buttons are for the phone at hand for >10 seconds, make it 20 if you're worried about screwing it up, let go of power button
it literally never fails as long as you actually plug in the phone and hold for long enough.
IIRC if you don't release button in time, you screwed up. EDIT: According to your instructions, you failed entering DFU:

A9 and older devices (iPad other than the ones listed below, iPhone 6s and below, iPhone SE and iPod touch 6 and below)
Connect the device to a computer using a USB cable.
Hold down both the Home button and Lock button.
After 8 seconds, release the Lock button while continuing to hold down the Home button.
If the Apple logo appears, the Lock button was held down for too long.
Nothing will be displayed on the screen when the device is in DFU mode. If open, iTunes will alert you that a device was detected in recovery mode.
If your device shows a screen telling you to connect the device to iTunes, retry these steps.

A10 devices (iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPad 2018, iPod touch 7)
Connect the device to a computer using a USB cable.
Hold down both the Side button and Volume Down button.
After 8 seconds, release the Side button while continuing to hold down the Volume Down button.
If the Apple logo appears, the Side button was held down for too long.
Nothing will be displayed on the screen when the device is in DFU mode. If open, iTunes will alert you that a device was detected in recovery mode.
If your device shows a screen telling you to connect the device to iTunes, retry these steps.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:47:15 pm by wraper »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf