Author Topic: irestore - Hair loss prevention that uses light therapy.  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Red SquirrelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
irestore - Hair loss prevention that uses light therapy.
« on: March 25, 2021, 10:00:32 pm »
This is an actual product you can buy.   https://www.irestorelaser.com/ 

I think the "science" behind it is that certain wavelengths of light can stimulate hair growth.   I don't know enough about hair loss stuff to call it BS, but it kind of smells of it.   :o  Though if it actually works... I bet a DIY version could be made for way cheaper. 

As a side note I have long red hair and keep getting targeted ads for hair loss, it is a bit concerning.  :-DD   

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
Re: irestore - Hair loss prevention that uses light therapy.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 10:53:51 pm »
Men have photon hair restoration. Women have laser hair removal. Welcome to the Space Age.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 11:27:06 pm »
Well I'm not qualified to comment on whether or not light can be used to stimulate hair growth, but I will say that I'm skeptical.

Thankfully I have no shortage of hair, mine grows like a weed. I feel bad for the guys I know who suffer from baldness though, I remember an acquaintance went bald on top when he was only 17. There's quite a stigma associated with that unfortunately.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 11:41:28 pm »
Well I'm not qualified to comment on whether or not light can be used to stimulate hair growth, but I will say that I'm skeptical.

Thankfully I have no shortage of hair, mine grows like a weed. I feel bad for the guys I know who suffer from baldness though, I remember an acquaintance went bald on top when he was only 17. There's quite a stigma associated with that unfortunately.

I've never been attacked by so many women as I have since I started shaving my head, LOL!  :D

I'm not 17 of course, but you can probably make it work.  Hard to deal with at that age.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 01:23:44 am »
A quick search shows that there's a LOT of similar devices on the market.

Also looked for studies. Found this: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27114071/
You can take a look at all related articles.
Whereas some of those articles tend to show a benefit, from what I've seen, meta-analysis studies seem to show that most clinic studies on this have methodology issues, so I guess all we can safely say is that it's just... unconclusive really. But at least, it *has* been studied.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 03:30:23 am »
I would buy it just for the cool hat. I'd be quite a stud this summer walking around with that thing downtown, combined with my "Ladies, I'm single" t-shirt.

It probably has something to do with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytochrome_P450

It's not unheard of to "do things" with lasers in medicine.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22488690/
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 02:00:23 pm »
Hair loss is usually as a result of follicle death, so stimulating growth would only make your remaining follicles grow hair more vigorously, if it indeed works at all.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf