Author Topic: It's 2020. SF to LA for $25 on Elon Musk's Hyperloop - Are you buying it?  (Read 23435 times)

Offline DougSpindlerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
We talk about EVs, and solar power what about Elon's solar panel powered Hyperloop?  We were told it would cost just $25 and take 30 mins to travel from SF to LA in 2020.  Anyone buying tickets?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
I thought he already decided to change it from "hyperloop" to a car in a small tunnel. Also if the current high speed rail is any indication nobody will be building anything from SF to LA in the next couple decades unless tickets are more than an airplane.

• Super Contributor
Did you watch the video?
In a 2017 newscast interview Hyperloop would be operational in 2020.

But who is the bigger scammers?  Elon Musk or Elizabeth Homes?

The following users thanked this post: Coliban, SiliconWizard

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
No, I didn't. I don't have time right now to watch the video, maybe ever. As for scamming it all depends on the future. Currently I'd say probably Musk because he's taken my money too(right now he's much more a liar than a scammer). We know how everything holmes did turned out though so it's probably easier to justify her.  :-//
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:59:19 pm by maginnovision »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Currently I'd say probably Musk because he's taken my money too(right now he's much more a liar than a scammer).
Took your money for what?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:05:03 am by wraper »

• Super Contributor
No, I didn't. I don't have time right now to watch the video, maybe ever. As for scamming it all depends on the future. Currently I'd say probably Musk because he's taken my money too. We know how everything holmes did turned out though so it's probably easier to justify her.  :-//

IDK  When you have time watch the video and let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/2h6Cz4hwuEI

• Super Contributor
Currently I'd say probably Musk because he's taken my money too(right now he's much more a liar than a scammer).
Took money for what, if any?

Musk like Holmes took millions of dollars from investors.  Holmes knew she had a machine that didn't work.  Musk who knows the science has to know Hyperloop would never work, yet accepted money from investors.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Hyperloop would never work, yet accepted money from investors.
How about getting your facts right? Musk did not take a dime for hyperloop from anyone since he does not build it to begin with.

The following users thanked this post: robca

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
No no no, i am first in the line for my tourist ticket to Mars "by 2018" !
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
You both are in line to be bullshit spreaders. Claim from Hyperloop One has nothing to do with Musk since he does not have anything to do with that company. But your claim about Mars tourism you simply pulled out of your ass some time ago and newer bothered to provide the source when asked.

The following users thanked this post: robca

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
I do not keep track of all of bullsit that came out of that moron.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
I do not keep track of all of bullsit that came out of that moron.
You simply do not keep track of your own BS said. Is it that hard to admit you made that up?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
As money gets tighter there is more and more scamming going on, it comes in cycles.

Hold on to your money tight!

Musk like Holmes took millions of dollars from investors.  Holmes knew she had a machine that didn't work.  Musk who knows the science has to know Hyperloop would never work, yet accepted money from investors.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
You both are in line to be bullshit spreaders. Claim from Hyperloop One has nothing to do with Musk since he does not have anything to do with that company. But your claim about Mars tourism you simply pulled out of your ass some time ago and newer bothered to provide the source when asked.

Why can't people just come out and say that they hate Elon Musk for no other reason than they just hate him.

All this subterfuge seems like a lot of extra effort.
iratus parum formica

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
He is filling a need that countries have for optimism, when many peoples lives are actually crap.

To paraphrase Deelite.. people want to believe in the power of hype.

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

• Super Contributor
What about Elizabeth Holmes?  Who spreads more BS.  Elon or Elizabeth?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
What about Elizabeth Holmes?  Who spreads more BS.  Elon or Elizabeth?
You.
It's a quite strange comparison. Elon might be not on schedule for some things and often is eccentric but he delivers. For example American astronauts to space (for less money and ahead of Boeing), commercial and government satellites (again much cheaper than ULA), cars and whatnot. Elizabeth Holmes never created anything working, all smoke and mirrors.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Musk does not own nor operate nor have any vested interest in any Hyperloop company!
I actually do not rule out that the whole thing on his part is a gigantic troll.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:37:40 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: wraper, sandalcandal

• Super Contributor

Musk does not own nor operate nor have any vested interest in any Hyperloop company!
I actually do not rule out that the whole thing on his part is a gigantic troll.

What about his own Hyperloop compnay?
If I provide you with some "credible" information which contradicts your statement could I change your mind?

Elon Musk is building his own Hyperloop
The billionaire will go into competition with the startups he inspired with his white paper.

Elon Musk may have dreamt up the Hyperloop, but the bulk of its development has been carried out by others. When he unveiled the white paper in 2013, the South African billionaire said that his vision was "open sourced," and it would be for other startups to build it out. Now, however, sources close to Musk say that he will now build his own Hyperloop, starting with the New York to Washington D.C. route.

The news was confirmed in a statement sent to Bloomberg via Musk's Boring Company, which said that it wants to "accelerate the development of this technology as fast as possible." That may pose an existential threat to the number of startups that have begun working on their Hyperloop designs. Businesses such as Hyperloop One, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, Arrivo and TransPod have new competition.

Musk tweeted that he had received informal approval to build his first Hyperloop, from NYC to DC -- approval that appears to have come from the White House.

What's not clear is why Musk has suddenly decided to reverse course and begin working on his own Hyperloop platform.
This article is dated Aug 4, 2017.

https://www.engadget.com/2017-08-04-bloomberg-elon-musk-own-hyperloop.html

The following users thanked this post: Coliban

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

If I provide you with some "credible" information which contradicts your statement could I change your mind?

The billionaire will go into competition with the startups he inspired with his white paper.

Elon Musk may have dreamt up the Hyperloop, but the bulk of its development has been carried out by others. When he unveiled the white paper in 2013, the South African billionaire said that his vision was "open sourced," and it would be for other startups to build it out. Now, however, sources close to Musk say that he will now build his own Hyperloop, starting with the New York to Washington D.C. route.

The news was confirmed in a statement sent to Bloomberg via Musk's Boring Company, which said that it wants to "accelerate the development of this technology as fast as possible." That may pose an existential threat to the number of startups that have begun working on their Hyperloop designs. Businesses such as Hyperloop One, Hyperloop Transportation Technologies, Arrivo and TransPod have new competition.

Musk tweeted that he had received informal approval to build his first Hyperloop, from NYC to DC -- approval that appears to have come from the White House.

What's not clear is why Musk has suddenly decided to reverse course and begin working on his own Hyperloop platform.

Show actual evidence that The Boring Company has done any work on Hyperloop, or any actual news after that. Digging tunnels is not working on actual Hyperloop technology.
Just read the Wikipedia page. It mentions Hyperloop, but he immediately started working on car elevator lifts, not Hyperloop.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boring_Company

Baltimore–Washington Loop
In July 2017, Musk announced plans to build a Hyperloop tunnel connecting Washington, DC and New York City. He initially stated that the project had "verbal government approval", but government officials disputed this claim and Musk later clarified that there was no formal appoval.[53]
A route between NoMa, Washington, D.C. and downtown Baltimore, following the Baltimore–Washington Parkway, was announced[by whom?] in March 2018. The proposed tunnel would use the company's "Loop" concept, carrying passengers or vehicles on electric "skates".[54]

So show evidence of actual Hyperloop pod/propulsion technology development, as it sound like it never happened and he's all but abandoned the concept.
Nothing in Projects:
https://www.boringcompany.com/projects
Nothing in FAQ, just "the loop" which is for cars. Just some mention of long journey concept.
https://www.boringcompany.com/faq
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 07:43:11 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
I was never a big fan of personality cults.
Be it on the senseless bashing or admiration side.
Thunderfoot has a weird tendency to obsess over people no matter what and repeat the same point a thousand times.
Makes it hard to enjoy his videos sometimes and I have been following him since the early golden crocoduck days.
And this to me seems like comparing apples to oranges.
As easy as paint by number.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

Offline wraper

• Supporter

LOL, and all of that speculation from Elon's tweet "I guess a proof of concept is needed".  :palm:

• Super Contributor
I was never a big fan of personality cults.
Be it on the senseless bashing or admiration side.
Thunderfoot has a weird tendency to obsess over people no matter what and repeat the same point a thousand times.
Makes it hard to enjoy his videos sometimes and I have been following him since the early golden crocoduck days.
And this to me seems like comparing apples to oranges.

I agree with you.  While I appreciate the content of his videos, they can be too long and are repetitive.  I also don't like the short inserted videos clips.

• Super Contributor

Show actual evidence that The Boring Company has done any work on Hyperloop, or any actual news after that. Digging tunnels is not working on actual Hyperloop technology.
Just read the Wikipedia page. It mentions Hyperloop, but he immediately started working on car elevator lifts, not Hyperloop.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boring_Company

Baltimore–Washington Loop
In July 2017, Musk announced plans to build a Hyperloop tunnel connecting Washington, DC and New York City. He initially stated that the project had "verbal government approval", but government officials disputed this claim and Musk later clarified that there was no formal appoval.[53]
A route between NoMa, Washington, D.C. and downtown Baltimore, following the Baltimore–Washington Parkway, was announced[by whom?] in March 2018. The proposed tunnel would use the company's "Loop" concept, carrying passengers or vehicles on electric "skates".[54]

So show evidence of actual Hyperloop pod/propulsion technology development, as it sound like it never happened and he's all but abandoned the concept.
Nothing in Projects:
https://www.boringcompany.com/projects
Nothing in FAQ, just "the loop" which is for cars. Just some mention of long journey concept.
https://www.boringcompany.com/faq

It appears Elon and friends are doing some work.  This is from 2019.  They published a  505 page environmental assessment.
https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musks-boring-company-takes-small-step-toward-reality/

But isn't the real issue the physics?  Elon, like Elizabeth Holmes it appears believe their words are more powerful then the laws of physics.

Elon and Tesla are in some ways very similar.  Both have had come up with some very ventures.  Both were real showmen and Tesla really liked the ladies.  And both have made outrageous claims.  While Tesla's education was by experimentation, Elon has a degree in physics.  Many of the crazy things Elon is proposing isn't possible or practical.

There's a reason we all aren't driving Tesla's car which he said was powered by the energy in the universe.  At least Elon is using batteries.

I have so much faith and trust Elon's ideas and products I purchases an EV.  A Chevy EV that is.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
It appears Elon and friends are doing some work.  This is from 2019.  They published a  505 page environmental assessment.
https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musks-boring-company-takes-small-step-toward-reality/
The first sentence contradicts the title. Sensationalism thrives, real journalism is dead. Loop has nothing to do with hyperloop.
The company filed a sprawling environmental report for the Loop, a proposed network of tunnels that would move people from Baltimore to Washington in 15 minutes.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf