Products > Dodgy Technology

Kind of dodgy: RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

(1/5) > >>

Haenk:
The pioneer of dodgy electronics and gadgets died on September, 15th aged 81.
I guess everyone from Europe with at least some interest in electronics or computers loved and hated him at the same time.
He came up with some very clever ideas how to reduce part numbers and production costs, allowing him to offer computers and gadgets way cheaper than everybody else.

Went bankrupt several times, always stood up and started over.

Quite an interesting inventor, who certainly played a huge role in our modern life - even if you didn't notice.

AVGresponding:
That kind of rinse and repeat bankruptcy is quite the norm in the US, where you aren't judged quite so harshly as you are in europe.

If you add up his direct and indirect contributions to the world, it's quite significant imo.

Haenk:

--- Quote from: AVGresponding on September 17, 2021, 08:56:24 am ---That kind of rinse and repeat bankruptcy is quite the norm in the US, where you aren't judged quite so harshly as you are in europe.

--- End quote ---

Only that he is a UK guy and only UK companies were involved.
And his cases of bankruptcy made quite some waves back then.
However this didn't stop him to try again and again.

AVGresponding:

--- Quote from: Haenk on September 17, 2021, 09:10:20 am ---
--- Quote from: AVGresponding on September 17, 2021, 08:56:24 am ---That kind of rinse and repeat bankruptcy is quite the norm in the US, where you aren't judged quite so harshly as you are in europe.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I am British, and so I am aware that he was also...

I was using "europe" in the old-fashioned geographical sense of the word.

SilverSolder:

--- Quote from: AVGresponding on September 17, 2021, 02:48:40 pm ---
--- Quote from: Haenk on September 17, 2021, 09:10:20 am ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I am British, and so I am aware that he was also...

I was using "europe" in the old-fashioned geographical sense of the word.

--- End quote ---

The world is a better place for the existence of Clive Sinclair, who really epitomizes the stereotype eccentric British inventor.

Speaking of old fashioned, I read the other day that the UK is about to re-introduce pounds and ounces etc. - lol.  Is it an attempt to make every day into April 1, to raise the spirits?  -  I certainly chuckled!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version